Storyist Forums

iPhone?

Gusmcgee

Hi Gusmcgee,

I love using Storyist for iPad. In my opinion, it's the best one out there. It would be great to have an iphone version too, for those moments that are really on the go. I think writing on Storyist for iphone and ipad would be the dream. Is that a possibility?

Thanks for the kind words!

An iPhone version is certainly possible (and, of course, desirable), but would be a significant development effort. I've done some initial investigation, and will probably take a closer look in the new year.

-Steve

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to add my vote (or desperate pleading) for an iPhone app.

And think of it this way; when Final Draft launches their Writer app, it's going to be iPad-only. Storyist could have the advantage of being the screenwriting app that opens and edits FDX files on all platforms (Desktop, iPad and iPhone).

Storyist is the only iOS writing app that comes anywhere near being as functional as Final Draft. Heck, if you allowed the highlighting function from FD to work.display in Storyist, I would gladly discard FD all together.

• 3 months later...

Just to chime in, I'd really like an iPhone version that would allow me to jot down quick notes or ideas that I could expand on when I'm back to a more fully functional version on my iPad or Mac. It would save me time from having to import them manually and it would also keep them where I'd remember them. Thanks for all the hard work and a great program!

It probably comes down to cost, and whether the work needs to be parcelled out to an external developer, but for what it's worth, I think an iPhone app that (1) allowed read-only access to a MS and (2) notes to be typed in for amendments, ideas etc (as per Roshiro) would be an excellent complement to Storyist on the Mac.

However, given that there is already a iPad app, it should be possible to reuse much of the code to provide similar functionality - the main sticking point being the need for an iPhone sized interface. If this was a custom job it would be costly, although using iOS standard UI elements would make for a cheaper version.

I'd see / suggest three possibilities (bearing in mind I've not used the iPad version(!)):

i) A reworked version of the iPad app, preserving as much functionality as possible with a custom UI

ii) A substantially cut down version of the iPad app with a basic UI

iii) A reader/note-taker with either custom or basic UI.

As far as pricing goes, I'd think that (iii) with basic UI should be cheap or even free, as it would be useless without a more functional version of Storyist and no great shakes to look at (but possibly very useful to a Storyist user), whereas purely to recoup development costs (i) would have to be fairly pricey (it could be bundled with the iPad version, but development costs would need to be recovered somehow).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Great news on the iPhone version. I am at the editing phase and would like the ability to edit in spare moments from an iphone. I really hope that will be possible in the new version. Does the testing slot include the iphone version? I would be willing to do that as I just blew an hour trying to jury rig an iphone editing process without success. Arriving here to find my prayers are in the process of being answered has been good news indeed. Thanks for all your hard work.

Hi MacGuffin,

Yes, you'll be able to edit in spare moments with the iPhone version and sync via Dropbox.

As for beta testing, thank you for volunteering. Unfortunately, the slots went quickly, and I'm afraid there aren't any left at the moment. I'll post again here when more open up.

-Steve

By the way, I love the screen name. You must be a Hitchcock fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like all slots are full, and that is fine. I've signed up anyway, for any future beta testing. I've added my iPhone 5 since that is what I'd be using for testing the iPhone release.

My available devices for testing are currently: iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, iPad mini, iPad 3, and 4. I have the iPad 3 for sale though, so it will probably not be available for testing much longer.

I currently use my iPad mini for pretty much all of my Storyist use.

-Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve & Co!

Hi Gusmcgee,

The iPhone version is in testing now. :)

Coincidentally, I was just going to post that I do have a couple of testing slots available for the next build. If you're interested in joining the team, you can do that via the Test Flight signup sheet.

-Steve

I am a long time observer and user of Storyist (Mac & iPad) and the forum (you can thank NaNoWriMo for introducing me to you a few years back) but this is my first forum post, as far as I can tell...

Just wondering how the iPhone testing is going?

I only ask now as I am looking to write more on my travels but don't always have my iPad on me, so syncing some notes from my iPhone would be ideal...

I'm also looking into buying another (iOS) app to use alongside Storyist as it has other different features (that I like), but would prefer if they were available in storyist, obviously! :)

I do not wish to name it here as it would seem unfair to do so!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Storyist is great. I'm a new fan of the product. Recently, I converted my current work in progress to the platfrom from another competitive product, and I'm finding that Storyist is possibly the way forward for me. So far so good!

I have a background in IT and software development. If I can help by contributing as a beta tester, please consider me a valid candidate.

My personal needs for an iPhone product are few. I just want to be able to read/edit synched content, rather than many of the other full blown features. Regardless, I'd love to see what you've thought of and accomplished so far.

You should see me as having signed up on test flight.

Best,

Kim

• 4 months later...

Archived