Storyist Forums

Editing Character Sheets

_elj

This is mostly one for Steve, I think, unless anyone else knows how to do it:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forum_comments/2020757

Apparently I can customise the character sheets by jumping into the HTML. I've got a 'Note' set up like I'd like, but I'm not sure whether these are saved as HTML/RTF and if that would help me layout a character sheet - if not, I'd like to use the one that's already provided to create a custom one.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

James

Hi James,

If you're comfortable editing HTML and CSS, you can edit the HTML for the character sheet in the application resources. Normal caveats about editing application resources apply.

You'll need to open the application package and locate Character.plugin. Open that and locate Character.html and Character.css. You should be able to affect the changes you want by editing Character.css.

Note that any changes you make will be replaced the next time you update. Also, if you run into issue, please send along a copy of your changes to these resources.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi green_knight,

Unfortunately I could not find a default setting for notes, and that's a lot of hassle to change them every time :-(

Unlike sheets, notes are text files. If you want to create custom notebook entries, create a new notebook entry, and customize it to meet your needs (styles, etc...). Then, when you want to create a new entry from this template, just selected it and duplicate it using the Duplicate command in the context menu.

-Steve

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

I'm looking into customizing the Character and Setting sheets, and I'm fine with editing the HTML... but is there a list somewhere of the properties already in use? Specifically I'm intending to create a second Traits module for values, motivations, and more personality-based info, but I don't want to screw up anything by reusing a field id. If this is laid out anywhere, I'd appreciate knowing what I'm getting into.

(I'm probably going to mess around even before this gets answered, but I'd rather have some guidance than my alternative, which is mess around until I break things.) ;)

Thanks!

~Aethera

A new operating system, a new update to Storyist, and I am nearly done with the modifications. (Could we please have these as customizable options in the future? It makes such a difference to the usability, as I struggle to read Helvetica.)

So far, I have modified...

- the default novel manuscript that you get every time you open a new one

- the default templates

- css of character, plot, and setting plugins

Unfortunately, I cannot find the template for the scene sheet, which by the logic above ought to be part of another plugin.

And I shall use the duplicate trick for notes in the future; but it would be ever so nice if they were to just use one's default style set.

Hi Aethera,

I'm looking into customizing the Character and Setting sheets, and I'm fine with editing the HTML... but is there a list somewhere of the properties already in use? Specifically I'm intending to create a second Traits module for values, motivations, and more personality-based info, but I don't want to screw up anything by reusing a field id. If this is laid out anywhere, I'd appreciate knowing what I'm getting into.

(I'm probably going to mess around even before this gets answered, but I'd rather have some guidance than my alternative, which is mess around until I break things.) ;)

There is a list of properties that Storyist defines. It is stored in the StoryistVocabulary.owl file. However, what I would do is create the new properties using the existing method and reference them in your new section.

-Steve

Hi green_knight,

Customization of story sheets is high on the list of feature requests to implement in a future release. While some enjoy hacking HTML, most writers would rather not. :)

The scene sheet is in the manuscript plugin at Storyist.app/Contents/Plugins/Manuscript.plugin/Content/Resources/English.lproj/Scene.html.

On the notes front, you won't have to use the duplicate trick much longer.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any idea when story sheet customisation might be implemented?

I'm trying to move an existing Scrivener project over to Storyist and I've loads of character info I'd like to include: character backgrounds, internal and external conflicts, personality profiles, habits, motivations, physical and psychological disorders and so on. Where do people currently put this sort of info?

Hi,

Any idea when story sheet customisation might be implemented?

I'm trying to move an existing Scrivener project over to Storyist and I've loads of character info I'd like to include: character backgrounds, internal and external conflicts, personality profiles, habits, motivations, physical and psychological disorders and so on. Where do people currently put this sort of info?

Personally, I use the Summary section for anything I want to show up in the "notecard" view, then the Notes section for everything else. Organization is always a personal choice, but I prefer the sort of "free flow" of paragraph form, rather than populating information fields. For me, those fields are fine for "details at a glance" but when I want more depth, I'd rather write it out long form.

Orren

Thanks Orren, I too prefer to write these things in paragraph form. I like to put a lot of work into developing characters before I start on a story so having an organised but flexible way to record/access it is a must.

So under 'Characters' I have created file for each one which contains both the storyist character sheet and a note. That should do the trick for now at least.

Archived