Storyist Forums

Reinstate Time Goals in Storyist 3.0

Anysia

I've just started using Storyist and one of the unique features I liked was the tracking by time feature instead of/in addition to tracking by word count. It's gone in Storyist 3.0 (reason given is that it was not popular). I'd really like it back as it is particularly useful in the phases of writing where word count is not a good measure of effort, like brainstorming, editing/revising, etc. If the tracking could also work with the iOS app, that would be even better.

Hi Anysia,

Thanks for the request.

Some background: In Storyist 2, it was possible to set up and timed writing session. Most people tried to use the feature to track their daily writing goal (e.g. 1667 words a day). Storyist 3 adds support for this explicitly, and shows you both a calendar view and a graph view. (See the attached screenshots).

calendar-small.png graph-small.png

Since one of the goals for version 3 was to streamline the UI, and no one seemed to be using the session goals for something other than daily session (e.g. writing sprints), the Storyist 3 UI doesn't currently support it.

If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to consider reinstating the feature. Note, though, that there are already quite a few good, free timers for Mac.

-Steve

I have lots of timers. The problem is that you have to remember to use them rather than just opening and closing a file. Also, then you have to do your own tally of when you get the most writing done and how much time you've spent on a project or use a time tracking program (my current solution).

True.

It sounds like there might be two requests here: the ability to time a single session, and the ability to track time and word count across multiple sessions with a granularity of something other than a single day.

What time tracking program do you currently use?

-Steve

• 2 months later...

Archived