Storyist Forums

Opening a Scrivener Project not working

JohnDarr

Hi Katiee,

It looks like your original email never made it to the ticket system at support@storyist.com. The second one did, though. Thanks for following up.

I took a look at your project and was able to reproduce your results. Here is what is going on:

The issue has to do with the way that Storyist handles Scrivener comments. Scrivener keeps comment text in a separate file from the RTF file that holds your manuscript text. This comment file also includes the location of the comment in the manuscript text.

In one of your Scrivener files, the comment location information in the comment file is incorrect, and the last comment refers to a location that is beyond the last character in your manuscript text. Storyist isn't expecting this, and aborts the import. That's why you are unable to open this file.

I'm guessing that Scrivener uses the information in the manuscript file instead of the information in the comment file to locate the comment (by scanning for comment links), and I've changed the way Storyist imports comments to match. I'll post a build for the Storyist beta testers later this week. If you'd like, I can send you the link when it is available.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

I'm also new to Storyist and working through a demo and I also encountered a temporarily perplexing issue opening a Scrivener project. I tend to brainstorm a lot on a tablet, and in Scrivener that means working in another app and importing that work later. Most of this brainstorming produces synopses or notes. Therefore, I often have things in the Scrivener Draft folder that include a synopsis and/or notes but no text yet in the document itself.

Storyist simply skips these. They do not show up anywhere. It took me a while to realize what was happening and I was able to work around this by adding a single character to all of these documents in Draft. After that, Storyist opened them just fine.

This is probably worthy of at least a mention in an FAQ somewhere. I could find no reference to this behavior anywhere in the support documents,

I am, however, enjoying the application. Thank you for all this hard work. I cannot wait to try a roundtrip with an iOS device! A true cloud workflow will be refreshingly 21st century!

Hi jmclaugh42,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the post.

Rather than update the FAQ, I added support for this case and posted a new beta for the test team. :)

You're welcome to try it if you'd like. You'll find the beta here.

-Steve

Archived