Storyist Forums

iPhone.

Steakpirate

Since I don't think anyone's ever officially documented what they'd expect from an iPhone implementation of Storyist, I thought I'd go ahead and do it.

Also, now that Storyist 2.0 is out of the barn, you'll theoretically have more room on your plate for the indulgence of your silly forum members.

Key Features

• Sync Storyist Files to and from iPhone

• E-Book reader that reads Storyist native files (Jump to page number or section/chapter, see bookmarks, see notes, view / edit notes and plot points)

• Ability to go into edit mode - General Edit / Edit by chapter or section (to limit text on screen) / Edit by selection (IE copy and paste style selection)

Less Critical Features

• Export to RTF/DOC

• Email / Upload

Computerside Features

Compare versions on sync, highlight differences, choose primary/stock file and edit.

For editing on a small and clumsy device, it might be a good idea to sync trash cans as well as notes and images(within reason), to ensure maximum crisis control.

Also, an iPhone app wouldn't be a bad idea for publicity either. If it gets featured, you'll have all sorts of people looking at it, and wondering what Storyist is.

For specifics, feel free to prod in my general direction.

I thought this would be a good idea when I first heard it but I've since tried reading a book on an iPhone. Not a comfortable experience, let me tell you. Writing a book would be worse. But I could see an app that would allow for note downloads to Storyist from an iPhone. I'm thinking that it probably already exists. (Wasn't Isaac looking into this?)

-Thoth.

I thought this would be a good idea when I first heard it but I've since tried reading a book on an iPhone. Not a comfortable experience, let me tell you. Writing a book would be worse. But I could see an app that would allow for note downloads to Storyist from an iPhone. I'm thinking that it probably already exists. (Wasn't Isaac looking into this?)

-Thoth.

Reading a book isn't a fantastic experience on the iPhone, but by no means impossible or painful. I think if you played around with the font size and formatting, it could be made a bit more reasonable than the E-readers on the market like to squish things, but I could be mistaken.

Hard to edit, yes, very. Which is why you'd probably want to have it something like double clicking a spot in the text to type in the area, rather than trying to read the whole thing in a text-field.

Certainly, it sounds better than it would look, but it would be nice to have the ability to read your own work on the go.

Honestly, the biggest problem with reading on the iPhone is that what you're reading is generally not formatted for the iPhone. It's all Gutenberg project plain-text files with little to no formatting, and it's nigh impossible to distinguish a chapter title from the text. I think if the processor actually made things pretty, it would be a fine experience. I mean, iPhone apps aren't generally difficult to read. They don't have as big chunks of text, but oftentimes they could.

It's all about presentation, if you're not reading Melville, I think the iPhone could do a good job.

Certainly, it sounds better than it would look, but it would be nice to have the ability to read your own work on the go.

No argument there. And it would be nice to see what Steve comes up with now that he has nothing to do (except marketing, sales, putting together the manual and screencasts, localizing 2.0 and developing 2.1.).

Fellow silly Forum member,

-Thoth.

As for reading your work on the go, what I would really like to see is an Export to Kindle option. The Kindle file specification is public, so it'd be easy to export to the file type. And if the program would actually look at the connected USB devices to find your Kindle, then offer to upload the file for you if it finds said Kindle... If it did these things, I would totally have, like, 10,000 of Steve's babies.

Brian

As for reading your work on the go, what I would really like to see is an Export to Kindle option. The Kindle file specification is public, so it'd be easy to export to the file type. And if the program would actually look at the connected USB devices to find your Kindle, then offer to upload the file for you if it finds said Kindle... If it did these things, I would totally have, like, 10,000 of Steve's babies.

Brian

On another note, export to kindle might be a temporary solution to the lack of a Storyist iPhone.

There's a Kindle app for the iPhone, but I'm not sure how and if you can get your own files on there.

Brian

Well, that's one way to increase the size of the Storyist community. ;)

How do you like your Kindle? Will you keep it if Apple produces the rumored iPod-on-steroids?

Best,

Marguerite

On another note, export to kindle might be a temporary solution to the lack of a Storyist iPhone.

There's a Kindle app for the iPhone, but I'm not sure how and if you can get your own files on there.

As for exporting to Kindle format and using it in the iPhone Kindle, this is doable. I don't know how automated it can be, but you can always send files to a Kindle User email address and have it sent directly to your Kindle. So, I suppose Storyist could automate that by using email protocols. Exporting to the Kindle would be easier; the Kindle can be accessed like any USB drive, so Storyist can easily copy to the device. It would just need to look at all connected devices to find one with a Kindle device id, then present the user with the option to automatically load it onto the Kindle. It's that easy. The Kindle already has the ability to annotate, bookmark, and highlight. I haven't looked close enough at the files to see how they are changed to indicate an annotation or highlight, but I imagine it'd be easy to read those and import any notes you've made into Storyist. That would be awesome.

To M:

Of course, I couldn't say for sure until the rumored device comes out, but I'm betting I will still buy any future Kindles. The Kindle's lack of a backlight makes all the difference. I can't read on any electronic devices for too long with doing something else to relieve eye strain. The backlight or LED lights can really wear on your eyes. And if it doesn't cause pain, chances are your eyes are adjusting and your eye sight is getting worse. The Kindle has changed reading for me. It's easier than reading an actual book. So, yeah, I see myself sticking with the Kindle. I may get the Apple netbook, but it wouldn't be for reading.

Also, the rumors for the next Kindle are amazing. The E-Ink manufacturers are saying that Amazon will probably have stylus and OCR capabilities in the next one. That would allow you to write on the Kindle with a stylus, and those letters would be converted to type. Basically, you'd be able to write your books on this thing. And if that could be used by Storyist, all the better. Also, all buttons would be software driven and onscreen. It'd be touch screen. As such, all of those buttons they have would disappear, giving us a screen the fits the entire surface of the device. Awesome. I'll have Steve Bezo's babies too.

Brian

Also, the rumors for the next Kindle are amazing. The E-Ink manufacturers are saying that Amazon will probably have stylus and OCR capabilities in the next one. That would allow you to write on the Kindle with a stylus, and those letters would be converted to type. Basically, you'd be able to write your books on this thing. And if that could be used by Storyist, all the better. Also, all buttons would be software driven and onscreen. It'd be touch screen. As such, all of those buttons they have would disappear, giving us a screen the fits the entire surface of the device. Awesome. I'll have Steve Bezo's babies too.

Brian

I think that's my new motivation for writing my book and getting itpublished; to make enough money for a kindle. They're definitely a lot nicer to read on than an iPhone, but infinitely less versatile. If the next version is as fancy as you say it is, perhaps there is hope for the future.

Now, what about Storyist for kindle? :D

-So many Steves, so little time.-

I think that's my new motivation for writing my book and getting itpublished; to make enough money for a kindle. They're definitely a lot nicer to read on than an iPhone, but infinitely less versatile. If the next version is as fancy as you say it is, perhaps there is hope for the future.

Now, what about Storyist for kindle? :D

-So many Steves, so little time.-

As for the new Kindle, you'd have to wait at least a year. The DX just came out, so we have about a year until the next version. Also, we may see a color touch screen. And it may have an optional backlight for reading in the dark, but that would bring out the eye strain factor, so I'd always read with the backlight off anyway. A built-in front light would be cool though. Small LED lights along the edges of the screen that would project a thin layer of light just across the surface. That would work.

And I agree, what about Storyist for the Kindle? We can't actually put it on the Kindle, but we should be able to export our files onto the Kindle, and possibly import any notes we've made. That would get us a lot closer to what you want.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
As for the new Kindle, you'd have to wait at least a year. The DX just came out, so we have about a year until the next version. Also, we may see a color touch screen. And it may have an optional backlight for reading in the dark, but that would bring out the eye strain factor, so I'd always read with the backlight off anyway. A built-in front light would be cool though. Small LED lights along the edges of the screen that would project a thin layer of light just across the surface. That would work.

And I agree, what about Storyist for the Kindle? We can't actually put it on the Kindle, but we should be able to export our files onto the Kindle, and possibly import any notes we've made. That would get us a lot closer to what you want.

Brian

Well, I know I have not been round these parts in a while. But some observations.

I use the Kindle reader on the Ipod touch, and IT WORKS. I like the Reader better as I can actually highlight. I have several reference books in there, from Gutenberg, and it is a fine experience.

As to the app for the IPHONE... I have been writing on Documents to Go, and boy I am amazed at the amount of first draft material I have been able to produce. No, will not try editing, but for first drafts and notes it is fine. Also, I suggest Evernote for those of you who wish to have something that will sync to your computer.

Oh and testing v 2 right now. Hell, got the first three chapters of the next novel into it for testing purposes.

Oh and third novel I am playing with several mobile device formatting software, as well as the old PDF... as to Kindle yes it could be done, but I have my doubts that it will fit on the old POD.

Archived