Storyist Forums

A Full-Screen where...

emoKid

I guess not really "where..."

I just think it'd be cool to be able to modify the colors of the background, page, and font while in fullscreen.

And as an added challenge, if there was the smooth/typewriter/whatever it's called scrolling where the active line is stuck at 1/4 down the screen or something...

I just think it'd be cool.

I know that you can switch to "Normal" instead of "Page Layout" in full screen (the choice disappears in windowed mode, but you're stuck on what you had last?), but it seems stuck too wide (on certain screens).

This is just a want. Storyist is already cool enough as is (but feel free to keep developing it).

I just think it'd be cool to be able to modify the colors of the background, page, and font while in fullscreen.

Background and page are on the list. Font: probably not (because of the user complexity w/ style sheets) though I'm open to discussion. Why would you want a different font in full-screen view?

And as an added challenge, if there was the smooth/typewriter/whatever it's called scrolling where the active line is stuck at 1/4 down the screen or something...

Me too.

I know that you can switch to "Normal" instead of "Page Layout" in full screen (the choice disappears in windowed mode, but you're stuck on what you had last?), but it seems stuck too wide (on certain screens).

I'm not sure I follow. What choice disappears when you're not in full-screen view?

BTW, one thing that is also on my list is a preference to limit the width of a view in FS. If you're using a cinema display, text in Normal mode can be too wide.

This is just a want. Storyist is already cool enough as is (but feel free to keep developing it).

:D

-Steve

I'm not sure I follow. What choice disappears when you're not in full-screen view?

The menu option to change the page view mode thing become disabled when switching views (disappears is synonymous with disabled in my mind...).

Ex: http://bit.ly/cRIID

So I can't change between "Page Layout" and "Normal Layout" when in windowed mode, but in full-screen I can, but it doesn't change back when I switch back, and sometimes it has the wrong option selected.

Background and page are on the list. Font: probably not (because of the user complexity w/ style sheets) though I'm open to discussion. Why would you want a different font in full-screen view?

Just different font color (I noticed it can be changed with Cmd + A - Then going to format, font, and choosing colors, would that mess up the style sheets?).

The menu option to change the page view mode thing become disabled when switching views (disappears is synonymous with disabled in my mind...).

Ex: http://bit.ly/cRIID

So I can't change between "Page Layout" and "Normal Layout" when in windowed mode, but in full-screen I can, but it doesn't change back when I switch back, and sometimes it has the wrong option selected.

Ah! Good screencast. The text commands aren't available when text doesn't have focus. In your screencast, it looks like the project view has focus. Try putting the cursor in the text before pulling down the menu.

Just different font color (I noticed it can be changed with Cmd + A - Then going to format, font, and choosing colors, would that mess up the style sheets?).

If you used colored text somewhere in your manuscript, you'd overwrite the setting when changing the text color for FS view.

The solution is probably to have a FS style sheet that is applied when you switch to FS mode. That way, Storyist would know what your intention was.

-Steve

The text commands aren't available when text doesn't have focus. In your screencast, it looks like the project view has focus. Try putting the cursor in the text before pulling down the menu.

Alright. That was it. Sometimes I just confuse myself.

• 3 months later...

I was going to post about changing BG and font color in full screen mode. Glad to see it's on the list.

:P

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So is typewriter scrolling on "the list"? I would REALLY utilize that feature. I hate having to scroll up and down on the screen, when typewriter scrolling can level it right in the center of the text view.

Would be ideal on full-screen or across the board.

So is typewriter scrolling on "the list"? I would REALLY utilize that feature. I hate having to scroll up and down on the screen, when typewriter scrolling can level it right in the center of the text view.

Would be ideal on full-screen or across the board.

I don't mean to push the issue, but I am currently writing a short story, and it's a little irritating that my text ends up at the bottom of the screen as if my story is getting crushed beneath the weight of the words. When I'm in "the flow," maybe I'm lazy, but it's cumbersome to scroll to get my text at, at least, eye-level. Is there a fix for this that I can't see, or is typewriter scrolling going to be on "the list"?

It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but it would make Storyist that much better.

Hi Serpententacle,

I don't mean to push the issue, but I am currently writing a short story, and it's a little irritating that my text ends up at the bottom of the screen as if my story is getting crushed beneath the weight of the words. When I'm in "the flow," maybe I'm lazy, but it's cumbersome to scroll to get my text at, at least, eye-level. Is there a fix for this that I can't see, or is typewriter scrolling going to be on "the list"?

It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but it would make Storyist that much better.

Thanks for the vote. I agree it would be useful.

After Storyist for iPad ships, I'll be able to spend more time on the feature list and will have a clearer picture of what will be in the next Storyist for Mac release.

In the mean time, check out the Control+L shortcut. It centers the current cursor location in the text view.

-Steve

Hi Serpententacle,

Thanks for the vote. I agree it would be useful.

After Storyist for iPad ships, I'll be able to spend more time on the feature list and will have a clearer picture of what will be in the next Storyist for Mac release.

In the mean time, check out the Control+L shortcut. It centers the current cursor location in the text view.

-Steve

Oh, I didn't know about the Control+L.... I'll give that a try. Thanks for the prompt response.

Cheers,

Serp

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I've just bought Storyist for iOS and have downloaded the demo copy of Storyist for the Mac. I have been using Scrivener for years (since the earliest public beta) but am looking to switch to Storyist. However, I find the typewriter scrolling an essential function. I spend nearly all my time writing in full-screen and, with the current implementation, I having to peer just above my knuckles to see what I'm writing. Is this feature likely to end up in Storyist anytime soon?

Hi Gaz,

As you've probably seen, the iOS version supports typewriter scrolling, and it was actually on the feature list for this fall's release as part of some "back to the Mac" features. Unfortunately, iOS 7 required significant changes (and development time) and pushed some features out, including this one. I'll try to get it in in the next release or two, though.

By the way: Control+L will center the cursor for you. Hopefully this will hold you over until the feature is available.

-Steve

• 3 months later...

As you've probably seen, the iOS version supports typewriter scrolling, and it was actually on the feature list for this fall's release as part of some "back to the Mac" features. Unfortunately, iOS 7 required significant changes (and development time) and pushed some features out, including this one. I'll try to get it in in the next release or two, though.

Hey Steve,

Just wondering if this is still on your road-map. This is still my biggest bugbear with Storyist. When I get a flow on with my writing I have to keep interrupting that flow to type in control-L so that I'm not peering around my fingers at what's being written.

Thanks,

Gaz

Archived