Storyist Forums

Full screen

fredsmith

How about a full screen mode, like Scrivener/Ulysses/CopyWrite/WriteRoom?

Hi Fred,

Welcome and thanks for the suggestion!

There was some significant discussion of this on the email list (a precursor to this board) about six months ago. The discussion centered around what you should be able to do in full screen vs. normal mode. There were two camps:

1. People who wanted the minimal functionality: manuscript only, please, get everything else out of my way. Think WriteRoom.
  2. People who wanted the entire functionality of the app, but in full-screen.

Obviously there is some middle ground.

What are your thoughts? How would you use it?

-Steve

How about a full screen mode, like Scrivener/Ulysses/CopyWrite/WriteRoom?

Hi FredSmith,

You may have noticed that:

1. the Tool Bar at the top of the window can be hidden by the clear button on the upper right;

2. the Project Pane can be hidden by a command under View;

3. the (Finder's) green button on the uppermost left will expand your window to fill your screen;

4. the zoom command can be manipulated to expand your text to the width of the window. (Or use Fit Width.)

But it would be nice to do all this with one button which could be modified to taste, with respect to the above.

I'd even throw in Hide Section Titles. Or for that matter, anything that could be hidden by Storyist. Perhaps a super-hide-and-expand button could be connected to a checklist. Am I overreaching?

Just a thought.

-Thoth.

(Can you guess which camp I'm in?)

Hi Fred,

Welcome and thanks for the suggestion!

There was some significant discussion of this on the email list (a precursor to this board) about six months ago. The discussion centered around what you should be able to do in full screen vs. normal mode. There were two camps:

1. People who wanted the minimal functionality: manuscript only, please, get everything else out of my way. Think WriteRoom.
  2. People who wanted the entire functionality of the app, but in full-screen.

Obviously there is some middle ground.

What are your thoughts? How would you use it?

-Steve

Okay, well I would prefer the WriteRoom approach. A plain screen with just the text. And you should be able to change the font, background and foreground colours.

I think it would also be useful to have an optional status line, which carries the word count. And some way of navigating to other documents, even though you can only show one at a time.

Oh, and a scroll bar that only appears when you put the mouse on the edge of the screen.

Hope that helps.

:lol:

I second the vote for the WriteRoom approach. I love the simplicity, as it forces me to focus on the words alone. I actually wrote on a typewriter before switching to Macs, because I couldn't find anything on my PC that would go full screen like that. I like the fullscreen used in WriteRoom, Scrivener, and DevonThink. These are all great.

BT

Okay, well I would prefer the WriteRoom approach. A plain screen with just the text. And you should be able to change the font, background and foreground colours.

I think it would also be useful to have an optional status line, which carries the word count. And some way of navigating to other documents, even though you can only show one at a time.

Oh, and a scroll bar that only appears when you put the mouse on the edge of the screen.

Hope that helps.

:lol:

• 4 months later...

I would also like to chime in supporting a full screen feature. Ideally it would allow you to have access to much of the app if you want it (as in Scrivener) or hide the features and have a writing only mode (as in Write Room). Is full screen coming soon to Storyist?

Matthew

Archived