Storyist Forums

Orren's The Deviant now available

Steve

Congratulations Orren!

And now I'll just pop on over to Amazon and snag me a copy.

Looking forward to seeing you on the talk shows.

- Thoth

Edit Update: Item ordered, 2-day shipping, expected delivery Jan. 7, 2011. I'm looking forward to some nice vampire chills.

Thanks! And those who buy it, I hope you enjoy it! :lol:

It's been quite a ride taking it from Storyist to print (and e-Stores). If there's an interest, I'd be happy to post about the process and experience in the Community section (which individual forum do you think is most appropriate? It's a "general" topic, but it's also describes a number of "writers resources"...). I'm guessing it will be two weeks or so when I'll have time to write some lengthy posts.

Why two weeks? The major conference of my day job is here; next week is the NAMM show (Steve, I'm betting in your NED days, you went to NAMM often!) This is a music instrument industry show not open to the public, in which a lot of industry business is done every year. In our case, the music tech editorial, marketing, and inside sales team (5 of us) has meetings with our "music trade" distributors (or company only handles "book trade" distribution, for music stores we work with dedicated distributors), the companies that we partner with, and some of our authors. We also go to catch the general "zeitgeist" of the MI industry, to give us idea for new markets, and new titles to develop.

Thanks again, and if you like the book, please spread the word! :)

Orren

Thanks! And those who buy it, I hope you enjoy it! :lol:

Really looking forward to it.

Do you want any public feedback from us/me after we/I read it?

It's been quite a ride taking it from Storyist to print (and e-Stores). If there's an interest, I'd be happy to post about the process and experience in the Community section (which individual forum do you think is most appropriate? It's a "general" topic, but it's also describes a number of "writers resources"...). I'm guessing it will be two weeks or so when I'll have time to write some lengthy posts.

Personally, I love process stories and look forward to reading about yours. Posting in the General Forum seems best, with individual resources repeated (if you wish) as individual threads under Resources for discussion. But I imagine that not all resources will warrant a discussion (...okay, which brand of scrunchie do you use to keep your hair out of your eyes during those marathon editing sessions?).

This raises the question of who else has published out of Storyist and would like to share the experience.

Enjoy NAMM, Orren.

Take it to Eleven.

- Thoth

Do you want any public feedback from us/me after we/I read it?

It depends on what exactly that feedback is, to be honest.

To quote myself from my blog post announcing that The Deviant is onsale:

Finally, let me note that as an independent novelist, I don’t have a marketing budget and international publisher behind me the way I do with my music technology books. In other words, all of you who enjoy my fiction—you are my marketing department. If you like what I’ve written, please tell everyone you know. Please leave positive reviews with online retailers like Amazon.com, at Goodreads, on Facebook, Twitter, wherever you can. There will be no magazine articles, New York Times reviews, or the like, only whatever blogs and online mentions I can hustle and word of mouth. So if you like The Deviant, please help me spread the word.

So if anyone likes the book and wants to leave positive comments and reviews on the above sites or this forum etc., I'd be grateful! :)

As far as more "writer workshop" style comments (either critique or praise) of my writing style, plot points, whatever, please feel free to PM me with any of your thoughts. But I must admit, I've never really been a "writers workshop" sort of person. Obviously, not because I don't want people to read or discuss my works—if I didn't, I'd never release anything! :) But my personal preference is for that sort of comment to be a private dialog, not public display (whether by "public" we mean a group of a dozen people or the Internet as a whole). And that's not just to Thoth, BTW, but in general, anyone reading this who's read the book, or even the free excerpt, don't hesitate to PM me if you want to discuss it!

Personally, I love process stories and look forward to reading about yours. Posting in the General Forum seems best, with individual resources repeated (if you wish) as individual threads under Resources for discussion. But I imagine that not all resources will warrant a discussion (...okay, which brand of scrunchie do you use to keep your hair out of your eyes during those marathon editing sessions?).

Sounds good to me. I shall post in the General Forum. (and I don't keep my hair out of my eyes when I write—hair in the eyes is an important part of the process! :lol: )

Enjoy NAMM, Orren.

Take it to Eleven.

Interestingly, I think last year the producer of the recent Spinal Tap album was a guest of one of the exhibitors!

Orren

It depends on what exactly that feedback is, to be honest...

Got it.

Sounds good to me. I shall post in the General Forum. (and I don't keep my hair out of my eyes when I write—hair in the eyes is an important part of the process! :lol: )

Dang! I knew I was missing something. Maybe I can talk Steve into a feature button that places a "hair overlay" on the Manuscript view. :)

Expect the book via UPS on Friday. I'm putting a rereading of Atlas Shrugged on hold so I can dedicate my weekend to it.

-Thoth

Finished it!

I did not know what to expect, but I am so happy that I did ( it kept drawing me back to it all weekend)

I will be delighted to write up a good review and post it around.

Loved the ending by the way.

No spoilers!

What an accomplishment!

Bravo!

Wishing you massive success and recognition.

• 4 months later...

Belated congrats. I just joined, so please excuse. A big job and a good feeling to get it done. Has to be like birthing a baby elephant! My novel, Sudden Light, was just released in print yesterday, so I know the feeling! Good luck!

Joe

...My novel, Sudden Light, was just released in print yesterday...

Hi Joe.

Congratulations.

I saw Sudden Light by J.A. Greenleaf on Amazon. Good reviews: "It is truly an Irish masterpiece."

Was it written in Storyist? (Just curious.)

Best of luck with your book.

-Thoth

• 1 month later...

Hi Joe.

Congratulations.

I saw Sudden Light by J.A. Greenleaf on Amazon. Good reviews: "It is truly an Irish masterpiece."

Was it written in Storyist? (Just curious.)

Best of luck with your book.

-Thoth

No, I didn't use Storyist to write Sudden Light but the sequel, Rising Light: Remembering the Future will be.

Joe

Archived