Storyist Forums

Identifying the Section that holds the cursor.

Steve E

Hi Steve.

I'm not a very linear writer. I start, stop, jump ahead, jump around. (A very Stephen King, thing, I hear.) I'd say that less than half the time I actually start writing from the end of my text. This often raises an odd problem: Sometimes I forget exactly where in the story I am. This is a problem that is easily solved if I could quickly check the name of the Section and Chapter which holds my cursor.

I should probably point out that the gray-highlighted Section or Chapter in the Project Pain only helps if I don't change Sections. But I'm always scrolling to other Sections or using Search to jump somewhere else. So the gray-highlighted name doesn't help much.

What to do? Mark the Section in the Project Pain somehow? Display the Chapter and Section names at the bottom of the window? I know it's doable. But it could be one of those things which sounds simple but is probably very hard (like the Return To Cursor problem). Only you (Steve) can say. Easy or hard? Or is there something already available that I'm overlooking?

Could you take a look?

-Thoth.

Hi Steve.

I'm not a very linear writer. I start, stop, jump ahead, jump around. (A very Stephen King, thing, I hear.) I'd say that less than half the time I actually start writing from the end of my text. This often raises an odd problem: Sometimes I forget exactly where in the story I am. This is a problem that is easily solved if I could quickly check the name of the Section and Chapter which holds my cursor. Mark the Section in the Project Pain somehow? Display the Chapter and Section names at the bottom of the window? Something.

Sounds simple but it's probably very hard (like the Return To Cursor problem).

Could you take a look?

-Thoth.

Ah, the "where the hell am I?" problem. :)

If you right-click or control-click in the section text and choose "Reveal in Project Pane", the current section will be highlighted in the project pane.

I'd like to make the status area at the bottom of the window configurable, and when that happens, a navigation popup (like the style popup) makes sense too.

Thanks Thoth.

-Steve

Ah, the "where the hell am I?" problem. :)

If you right-click or control-click in the section text and choose "Reveal in Project Pane", the current section will be highlighted in the project pane.

I'd like to make the status area at the bottom of the window configurable, and when that happens, a navigation popup (like the style popup) makes sense too.

Thanks Thoth.

-Steve

Thank you, Steve.

And a special thank-you for your amazingly quick response. I hadn't even finished editing my post and you had already answered it. You must live on-line.

Amazed.

-Thoth.

Archived