Storyist Forums

Link plot points to chapters?

marguerite

Hi, Steve:

I would find the plot threads more useful if I could link them not just to sections but to chapters. Since my novels are basically romantic adventure stories, I rely heavily on the Hero's Journey to keep them on track and make sure I cover the bases. Of course, they don't use anything as simplistic as one journey stage per chapter, but it's typical for one large plot element to extend over several sections, and each chapter often has a dominant theme that can be roughly linked to the stages of the journey.

The Hero/Adventure template doesn't do the job because it places the stages in section sheets, whereas I would like to track them in the plot threads while keeping the sections of the manuscript open for the specific manifestations of this individual novel's journey. But the Hero template does offer a beginning in the way it handles characters by establishing types that the author can modify at will.

I'm thinking that this could be part of the response to the pleas from many corners (including mine!) for series support within a single file. If we had multiple levels of sections--book, chapter, section--then perhaps links in plot, settings, and even character sheets (I'm thinking of character development points, since characters can be so stubborn about developing--although at least those are more easily broken down into specific scenes) could become a little more flexible?

Just making sure you don't nod off for lack of projects, :)

Marguerite

Hi, Steve:

I would find the plot threads more useful if I could link them not just to sections but to chapters. Since my novels are basically romantic adventure stories, I rely heavily on the Hero's Journey to keep them on track and make sure I cover the bases. Of course, they don't use anything as simplistic as one journey stage per chapter, but it's typical for one large plot element to extend over several sections, and each chapter often has a dominant theme that can be roughly linked to the stages of the journey.

The Hero/Adventure template doesn't do the job because it places the stages in section sheets, whereas I would like to track them in the plot threads while keeping the sections of the manuscript open for the specific manifestations of this individual novel's journey. But the Hero template does offer a beginning in the way it handles characters by establishing types that the author can modify at will.

I'm thinking that this could be part of the response to the pleas from many corners (including mine!) for series support within a single file. If we had multiple levels of sections--book, chapter, section--then perhaps links in plot, settings, and even character sheets (I'm thinking of character development points, since characters can be so stubborn about developing--although at least those are more easily broken down into specific scenes) could become a little more flexible?

Just making sure you don't nod off for lack of projects, :)

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

You can already create book/chapter/section hierarchy through style sheets. For what you are trying to do, it might make sense to create a template that has hero stage/chapter/section. Couple that with Thoth's request to be able to provide notes on outline elements other than sections/scenes, and I think you'll get close to what you are looking for.

-Steve

Hi Marguerite,

You can already create book/chapter/section hierarchy through style sheets. For what you are trying to do, it might make sense to create a template that has hero stage/chapter/section. Couple that with Thoth's request to be able to provide notes on outline elements other than sections/scenes, and I think you'll get close to what you are looking for.

-Steve

I've posted a sample here. Feel free to play with the styles, as the Act and Stage styles are pretty ugly.

-Steve

Archived