Storyist Forums

UI Request

akyi

Thought I would hop on and give my 2 cents on a possible future Storyist UI. I know I've posted on this in the distant past but these really are my only hang-ups when it comes to the wonderfulnicity that is Storyist.

Here are the things I would most love to see in the Storyist user interface:

1. A 'slicker' project pane that allows me to change font and size of the project objects listed there (so I can compact it and/or use fonts I find appealing).

2. I know I'm beating a dead horse (in other words, I've said this before and I think I was shot down) but I just don't get why the section sheets and manuscript sections are BOTH enumerated in the project pane. It makes the size of the project pane overly large to scroll through when both are expanded.

My preference would to have ONLY the manuscript sections in the project pane. When you click on a specific manuscript section, the text of the manuscript shows up on the left and the section sheet shows up on the right (or some configurable version of this...) I really want to be able to write and reference the entire section sheet at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

3. Full screen editing feature - with configurable background/page/text colors and fonts would be nice.

You rock, Steve.

Thought I would hop on and give my 2 cents on a possible future Storyist UI. I know I've posted on this in the distant past but these really are my only hang-ups when it comes to the wonderfulnicity that is Storyist.

Here are the things I would most love to see in the Storyist user interface:

1. A 'slicker' project pane that allows me to change font and size of the project objects listed there (so I can compact it and/or use fonts I find appealing).

2. I know I'm beating a dead horse (in other words, I've said this before and I think I was shot down) but I just don't get why the section sheets and manuscript sections are BOTH enumerated in the project pane. It makes the size of the project pane overly large to scroll through when both are expanded.

My preference would to have ONLY the manuscript sections in the project pane. When you click on a specific manuscript section, the text of the manuscript shows up on the left and the section sheet shows up on the right (or some configurable version of this...) I really want to be able to write and reference the entire section sheet at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

3. Full screen editing feature - with configurable background/page/text colors and fonts would be nice.

You rock, Steve.

Thanks Akyi,

Some thoughts:

1. Sounds like there are two issues here: usability and appearance. I'm going to have to think more about the appearance part (Apple Human Interface guidelines not withstanding), but am very interested in usability issues. Other than menu options for collapsing and expanding subtrees (on the list) and splitting the project pane (considering), what would you like to see here?

2. The thinking there is that manuscript sections and section sheets are different (but related) bits of writing and so deserve their own entries in the Project pane. I understand the counter argument, though, and there is some merit there.

One related issue that I've been thinking about is this: What happens when you want to delete a manuscript section but want to keep all the notes available because you know you'll use them later. This comes up a lot in the second draft, and one way you solve it now is to move the section to the end of the manuscript to a catch-all chapter (I call mine "Clippings"). It seems that if you could decouple the manuscript section from the section sheet (allow one to exist without the other), you could solve the problem more elegantly.

BTW, if you want, you can remove the section sheets from display by clicking on the action (gear) button and unchecking Section Sheets in the Display menu. You can always view the sheets through the storyboard or by activating the short cut menu in the manuscript section and choosing "Open Section Sheet"

3. I've had lots of requests for full screen. +1 from Akyi. :angry: I'd like to support this. No promises as to when, though...

-Steve

Thanks Akyi,

Some thoughts:

1. Sounds like there are two issues here: usability and appearance. I'm going to have to think more about the appearance part (Apple Human Interface guidelines not withstanding), but am very interested in usability issues. Other than menu options for collapsing and expanding subtrees (on the list) and splitting the project pane (considering), what would you like to see here?

2. The thinking there is that manuscript sections and section sheets are different (but related) bits of writing and so deserve their own entries in the Project pane. I understand the counter argument, though, and there is some merit there.

One related issue that I've been thinking about is this: What happens when you want to delete a manuscript section but want to keep all the notes available because you know you'll use them later. This comes up a lot in the second draft, and one way you solve it now is to move the section to the end of the manuscript to a catch-all chapter (I call mine "Clippings"). It seems that if you could decouple the manuscript section from the section sheet (allow one to exist without the other), you could solve the problem more elegantly.

BTW, if you want, you can remove the section sheets from display by clicking on the action (gear) button and unchecking Section Sheets in the Display menu. You can always view the sheets through the storyboard or by activating the short cut menu in the manuscript section and choosing "Open Section Sheet"

3. I've had lots of requests for full screen. +1 from Akyi. :angry: I'd like to support this. No promises as to when, though...

-Steve

1. Useability

One of my biggest complaints with mac apps in general is apple's overuse of whatever that 'default system font' is... is that Helvetica? Its readable to a degree... but it has a tendency to make my eyes want to unfocus which can lead to headaches over long exposure. Fonts are a pretty personal thing. Alot of people tell me I'm nuts for liking Optima, Gill Sans and Calibri.

Another thing I often do is reverse contrasts by making a font light and the background dark. In some apps I use apple's "ocean" color for the background of certain windows and a white font for easy, high-contrast readability.

Working in information technology for 10+ hours a day and then trying to go home and write can make for some insane headaches. That's one reason I switch up on font and color in the interface.

My only other usability complaint is the excessive scrolling through the project pane to switch back and forth every few minutes between the section sheet and the manuscript section. I do use the Storyboard to keep the section summary in view, but need to switch back to the section sheet for other metadata. I do sometimes right click on the section summary on the storyboard and go to the section sheet that way so there are workarounds. I just would love to see them side-by-side.

1. Possible UI Bugs?

When I pull up Sections on the Storyboard, I prefer to have my section summary's Row Height set to "size to fit" so I can see the whole, lengthy summary. That setting (row height) does not save and I have to set it back to "size to fit" every time I reopen the document.

I have asked before, I think, for an outliner function. Using that section summary on the storyboard with rows set as size to fit is very close to the outliner I was looking for.

2. Different but Related

I understand what you mean by your 'clippings' argument... I have traditionally saved both manuscript and associated notes in a 'bits' folder myself. I just tend to think of them as two sides of the same object.

The request for the project pane to be shrunk by removing the section sheets is now moot thanks to your excellent suggestion. I didn't realize you could remove sections from the project pane as it is now!

Being able to view the section sheet at the same time as the manuscript section, however, would still be a big help to how I write.

Archived