Storyist Forums

Procrastination Station

Steve E

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Waiting for your tie coup de grâce.

-Thoth.

Actually, I'm waiting on Christina. (Christina?!) The books I have to hand stop around 1900. Unless you want a discussion of what 16th-century Russian boyars wore (not ties).

But just for Isaac, here's a theory:

The Alien Overlords place chips in the brains of all male humans immediately after birth. Entry into certain professions triggers these chips and forces the hapless males to don suits and ties, lest hair grow between their fingers and toes until they resemble Arnold the Super-Chimp, but with 1/10 Arnold's brain capacity. Should these unfortunate men fail to don their alien-prescribed uniforms even once, the humiliation of their descent into simian form will overwhelm them, turning them into gibbering messes. At least, these are the anecdotes that circulate in business and law school: everyone knows someone who knows someone whose 42nd cousin had this happen overnight.

And why, you ask, do the Alien Overlords subject the men of our species to this hideous torment? No one knows. Perhaps it gives their evil genius free rein. Mwha, ha, ha, ha! Perhaps they feel that while women have progressed enough to discard their corsets, untied men can still wreak untold havoc on the planet. Perhaps they have a secret weakness for Jerry Garcia ties. As Alien Overlords, they need not explain themselves to the likes of us. :P

Procrastinating madly,

M

Actually, I'm waiting on Christina. (Christina?!) The books I have to hand stop around 1900. Unless you want a discussion of what 16th-century Russian boyars wore (not ties).

Christina has a lot of nerve doing real work while fictitious Alien Overlords threaten our very (fictitious?) existence.

But I have another tie theory. It was passed on to me, written on the inside of a mayonnaise lid off a jar secreted in a cupboard in the Black Ops kitchenette at Area 51. Simply put, Alien Overlords (yes, them again) had started this necktie trend to restrict the blood flow to the brains of our top leaders in business and law. This explains a lot. Eventually it will lead to economic collapse and judicial chaos. The Overlords, with their excellent blood flow, will be able to simply step in and take control.

Haven't you noticed that our top thinkers (Steve Jobs, Steve Shepard, Steve etcetera) do not wear ties?

-Thoth.

Haven't you noticed that our top thinkers (Steve Jobs, Steve Shepard, Steve etcetera) do not wear ties?

Perhaps the Overlords choose the name Steve to designate those worthy of not wearing ties? Perhaps they're chosen at birth, to fool us into thinking real humans produce useful things. Or... maybe "Steve" is really "Overlord" in their native tongue.

DDR makes the brain weak,

- Calli

Perhaps the Overlords choose the name Steve to designate those worthy of not wearing ties? Perhaps they're chosen at birth, to fool us into thinking real humans produce useful things. Or... maybe "Steve" is really "Overlord" in their native tongue.

DDR makes the brain weak,

- Calli

That would make Steve really "the Man," wouldn't it? Although in this case, "the Man" is an Alien Overlord.

Sorry, Steve. Couldn't resist. :P:)

M

That would make Steve really "the Man," wouldn't it? Although in this case, "the Man" is an Alien Overlord.

Wait!

What if the Alien Overlords are really Alien Overladies? After all, this tie thing applies only to men (unless you are Annie Lennox, etcetra). That would mean that the Overladies are only trying to make men (even more) simpleminded, as part of their evil scheme of conquest, and that the "Steves" are actually part of the Untied Rebel Forces (URF, rhymes with "surf").

Urfers Unite!

-Thoth.

Dance Dance Revolution, baby. :P

Ah. So DDR makes the brain weak but the legs strong (as much as a arcade machine can). I thought perhaps you were referring to the defunct East Germany (Deutsche Demokratische Republik, DDR).

Apropos of dancing and raising a mug to Storyist:

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone.

-Thoth.

BTW: Don't be afraid of the green toilet water, it's just nature's way of recycling the green beer.

Wait!

What if the Alien Overlords are really Alien Overladies? After all, this tie thing applies only to men (unless you are Annie Lennox, etcetra). That would mean that the Overladies are only trying to make men (even more) simpleminded, as part of their evil scheme of conquest, and that the "Steves" are actually part of the Untied Rebel Forces (URF, rhymes with "surf").

Urfers Unite!

-Thoth.

Darn. You saw through my evil plot to throw dust in the eyes of all those tie-wearing men. Can it be that you abandoned your tie before checking the forums?

Clearly, the Overladies ousted the Overlords back around WWI, when the corset went out and the tie acquired its modern form. Since then, they've had most men in thrall, leaving Callista and me free to dance. Only the Steves can resist....

Shouldn't it be "Urfers unite! You have nothing to lose but your neckwear!"? :P

Marguerite

Darn. You saw through my evil plot to throw dust in the eyes of all those tie-wearing men. Can it be that you abandoned your tie before checking the forums?

Bingo! I knew it! It's not Lady M but Overlady M!

Clearly, the Overladies ousted the Overlords back around WWI, when the corset went out and the tie acquired its modern form. Since then, they've had most men in thrall, leaving Callista and me free to dance. Only the Steves can resist....

That would explain the necktie's resemblance to a leash (as well as being a thin floppy phallic symbol). Clearly, what URF needs to do is get you Overladies back into corsets, pushing your internal organs up into your brains, squishing them into useless pulp. Yeah. That's the ticket. I think we may have Overlady Calli halfway convinced.

Shouldn't it be "Urfers unite! You have nothing to lose but your neckwear!"? :)

Probably. But this tie I'm wearing (someone snuck up behind me and put it around my neck) is cutting off the blood to my brain, so I didn't think of it. :P

-Underlord Thoth.

Thoth and I wear clip-ons. :P

Darn straight, bunny beagle.

Up the URF. Down with Evil Alien Overladies.

-Thoth.

BTW: DDR is also short for Disko Democratic Republic, a Greenlandic band but certainly no Björk.

I was just reading ZDNet and happened upon an article that stated that the University of Pennsylvania, a previous Vista booster, now "strongly recommends that all other users adopt a ‘wait and see’ attitude" regarding the adoption of Service Pack 1 (the Vista update). This update, which is supposed to fix Vista bugs, seems to be creating them instead.

Click here for article. Also, follow the InformationWeek link you find there for more detailed information.

Guilty of schadenfreude,

-Thoth.

I was just reading ZDNet and happened upon an article that stated that the University of Pennsylvania, a previous Vista booster, now "strongly recommends that all other users adopt a ‘wait and see’ attitude" regarding the adoption of Service Pack 1 (the Vista update). This update, which is supposed to fix Vista bugs, seems to be creating them instead.

Click here for article. Also, follow the InformationWeek link you find there for more detailed information.

Guilty of schadenfreude,

-Thoth.

I've seen articles all over /., digg, wired, etc, suggesting that people upgrade from Vista to XP.

IF

I've seen articles all over /., digg, wired, etc, suggesting that people upgrade from Vista to XP.

"Upgrade" from Vista to XP. Good one. But you'd think a big company like Microsoft could have hired enough testers to make sure Vista was bug free before it was released. It just confirms their "You'll take what we give you" attitude, and something I think we've known all along: big companies just don't care (but desperately want you to think they do).

-Thoth.

"Upgrade" from Vista to XP. Good one. But you'd think a big company like Microsoft could have hired enough testers to make sure Vista was bug free before it was released. It just confirms their "You'll take what we give you" attitude, and something I think we've known all along: big companies just don't care (but desperately want you to think they do).

-Thoth.

I think there's a valid argument that going from Vista to XP is an upgrade. XP runs on more hardware. XP is faster in most cases. XP has a lot more software support and supports more software.

One of MS's claims about Vista is that it's had fewer security vulnerabilities than any other OS, but what they fail to realize is that most of the virus writers haven't gotten around to replacing their outdated hardware with Vista capable machines... :mellow:

IF

I think there's a valid argument that going from Vista to XP is an upgrade. XP runs on more hardware. XP is faster in most cases. XP has a lot more software support and supports more software.

Makes me wonder why people go to Vista in the first place.

One of MS's claims about Vista is that it's had fewer security vulnerabilities than any other OS, but what they fail to realize is that most of the virus writers haven't gotten around to replacing their outdated hardware with Vista capable machines... :mellow:

I think what they were referring to was current known vulnerabilities plugged. But you're right, of course, no one has really gotten around to exploiting the new vulnerabilities...yet.

Vista's Ragnarök Approaches,

-Thoth.

Makes me wonder why people go to Vista in the first place.

I think what they were referring to was current known vulnerabilities plugged. But you're right, of course, no one has really gotten around to exploiting the new vulnerabilities...yet.

Vista's Ragnarök Approaches,

-Thoth.

Can any of you guys guess why installing Office 2008 has made Safari incapable of displaying PDFs? It gives me a black screen and then crashes or, once in a while just to keep me on my toes, displays the file and then crashes as soon as I ask it to do anything (like change pages). Before Office got in the act it was fine.

It's only a minor annoyance if the file identifies itself as a PDF; then I can control-click and save the file to disk. But when the site doesn't make it clear that it's about to produce a PDF, then I have to go back via Firefox and start all over again.

Thanks,

Marguerite

Can any of you guys guess why installing Office 2008 has made Safari incapable of displaying PDFs? It gives me a black screen and then crashes or, once in a while just to keep me on my toes, displays the file and then crashes as soon as I ask it to do anything (like change pages). Before Office got in the act it was fine.

It's only a minor annoyance if the file identifies itself as a PDF; then I can control-click and save the file to disk. But when the site doesn't make it clear that it's about to produce a PDF, then I have to go back via Firefox and start all over again.

Thanks,

Marguerite

If you look in /Library/Internet Plug-ins you'll probably see a PDF viewer. Just drag it out to the desktop (or anywhere, really) and restart Safari.

-Steve

Archived