Storyist Forums

Running Page Count

babyfett

Downloaded Storyist a couple days ago to try it out as an alternative to Final Draft 8 which I recently upgraded to and was disappointed in the outlining feature they are now touting. I've been using Final Draft since version 1 and have used it to judge all other programs since. I've really enjoyed Scrivener for outlining, but the actually screenwriting portion kind of lacked. I wanted something all inclusive and Storyist has come the closest for me. However I cannot seem to find the running page count. I can see the word count at the bottom of the page, but in a screenplay word count is really irrelevant. It's all about page count. I've been a professional screenwriter for 11 years and I'm ALWAYS trying to add pages or decrease pages (depending on my current mandate) and without seeing how my changes are automatically changing the page count I cannot use this program. It's in there in Screenwriter, it's in there in Final Draft and it was in there when I was forced to use the godawful Scriptware for a project, but it's essential. I saw some early posts from several years ago with people asking for this feature so I assume it's in there and I just can't seem to find it. If it's not, it's a deal breaker for me. But if it is, my $60 will be sent immediately. Thanks!

Yeah. This is an old and popular request. Steve has told us "it's on the list" but we're not told which version. In the meantime we just use the page number variable (i.e., Edit>Insert>Page Number). All of the non-blank novel templates already have it on the upper right side of the header. You could do the same thing for a screenplay, or, create a new screenplay template by adding the page number to an old template and saving it as a template under a new name. You can always delete the header, or part of it, before you print.

Yes, I know it's not the same thing but perhaps we can get Steve to give us a timeframe.

Give my regards to Boba. Remember me to Jabba the Hutt.

- Thoth.

Yeah. This is an old and popular request. Steve has told us "it's on the list" but we're not told which version. In the meantime we just use the page number variable (i.e., Edit>Insert>Page Number). All of the non-blank novel templates already have it on the upper right side of the header. You could do the same thing for a screenplay, or, create a new screenplay template by adding the page number to an old template and saving it as a template under a new name. You can always delete the header, or part of it, before you print.

Yes, I know it's not the same thing but perhaps we can get Steve to give us a timeframe.

Give my regards to Boba. Remember me to Jabba the Hutt.

- Thoth.

Thanks, Thoth. I did put the page numbers on, but you're correct, it's not the same thing. If I'm trying to trim or add pages I'll have to keep scrolling to the end of the script to see if I've made a difference, which is enough of a pain for me not to pull the trigger on Storyist. It's a necessity for me to know exactly how long my script is at any given time. I guess if it's not a feature currently I'll have to keep checking back to see if it's been added. Thanks again.

Thanks, Thoth. I did put the page numbers on, but you're correct, it's not the same thing. If I'm trying to trim or add pages I'll have to keep scrolling to the end of the script to see if I've made a difference, which is enough of a pain for me not to pull the trigger on Storyist. It's a necessity for me to know exactly how long my script is at any given time. I guess if it's not a feature currently I'll have to keep checking back to see if it's been added. Thanks again.

Hi Babyfett,

As Thoth mentioned, this is on the list, but it isn't in the product yet. It is currently scheduled for a February update and I'll try to remember to let you know when this is available.

-Steve

• 2 months later...

Archived