Storyist Forums

Internet Writing Jobs

Steakpirate

Hey folks, recently I've been scouring craigslist for jobs relating to writing/editing, to which I could telecommute for book money.

I have also applied to "The Examiner", but I've heard their pay is poor per article.

Is anyone familiar with any online publications hiring which would be interested in fiction/poetry or just essays and commentaries on current events and the state of the world? One that pays something close to reasonable per article would be cool.

What's reasonable for a beginner? Charles Dickens (John Huffam, 1812–70) was well established by the time he wrote "Great Expectations" for which he received one English penny per word. I don't know what that is in modern money but I hear the rates have gone up.

- Thoth.

Because they clearly intend for you to make up for your transgression by posting pictures of bunnies.

Bunnies! A pox I say.

I just want to find something that pays upwards of $4 an article.

There are always lots of little niche newspapers around (alas, a dying literary form) in the larger cities. Check the news stands. Anything they sell is a potential employer for you. And if you're not too proud, consider supermarket circulars. They're always trying to make people think they're entertainment. Do you have a local Penny Saver?

Will reading someday become a lost art form?

Some pundits claimed so back in 1978 with the introduction of cheap speech synthesizer chips.

- Thoth.

What's reasonable for a beginner? Charles Dickens (John Huffam, 1812–70) was well established by the time he wrote "Great Expectations" for which he received one English penny per word.

FWIW, the rate for science fiction short stories is 5¢/word. That's what it was in 1940...that's what it is in 2010.

Mr. Pirate, my advice to you—and I meant this seriously—is to start out writing for nothing. And yes, I put my money where my mouth is. Here is the true progression of my writing career:

* I wrote comprehensive reviews of audio plug-ins for digital audio websites for free.

* A British magazine, Computer Music, found me from that, and offered me articles and reviews that paid money.

* From CM, I started writing for American magazines like Electronic Musician and MIX.

* That resulted in plug-in companies themselves asking me if I'd write/edit their manuals.

My career went on from there, I started writing books on audio software, and now I'm a full-time editor for the company that published those books. But the point is, I spent probably a year just getting my writing "out there" in places that editors were reading; even though I wasn't getting paid, the exposure resulted in paying work.

I think you'll find that there is a lot of competition out there for any paying work you'll find. Having some samples available on other sites (meaning, not your own blog) that show others liked your writing enough to put it out there will go farther in many online editor's eyes than just a writing sample.

But it's tough, I know; free writing doesn't pay the bills...

Hope that helps,

Orren

Archived