Storyist Forums

The Apple Tablet Event?

Steve E

However, the main different between the corporate and artist mentality is one of not buying a product to make art tomorrow, but today. Imagine telling a painter to buy a stick of wood with a notched top instead of a brush, by saying "I know that you can't paint with it today, but tomorrow they'll expand into modular brush tips that you can attach to the notch and you'll have lots more options than if you bought a brush today." That's not going to get the picture painted, you know? The artist wants to paint he doesn't want to invest in a brush technology platform. So he buys a brush, and if that means that he has to buy a second brush later to be able to paint a different width of line, he does. He doesn't care that he missed out on the "modular brush" phenomenon, he's been painting all that time.

No, it doesn't seem like that at all. As you just said (previously) "the costs are different". And the high cost of buying and maintaining a computer environment is, in a nutshell, why you need to look to the future. Expansion. Product direction. Philosophical compatibility. It's nothing like buying a paint brush. (Thankfully!)

[sunsets are] Much more in line with my opinion of breathtaking. :lol:

Glad to hear it. We'll unGoth you yet. :)

That's a good idea, but it won't work for me. I have probably 500GB of data....

You're still a long way from corporate volumes but I'd bet you're thinking about whether you'll be able to read those files with the hardware and software available to you ten years from now. What does it cost to back up that much data in the Cloud?

First of all, there is an irony about saying "you'll give me..." as if I'm a cloud evangelist. What's ironic is that [a] friend of mine is a true evangelist. ... I'm the one who is skeptical. ;)

Everything is relative. I have a Russian friend who spits when anyone even mentions The Cloud. (Nasty habit.) He calls it Stalinist. (He has a philosophical problem with the idea of central control.)

There have been many articles written about how, as we move from physical to digital, we run the risk that when our civilization ends, there will be nothing left to show for it, unlike the ancient world, in which books and art remained...

Only a tiny fraction of the ancient world is available to us. Stone lasts. Papyrus, not so much. This has given us a very skewed view of the ancient world. (Maybe that's why Donald Trump likes putting his name on everything?)

In any event, that's why we have time capsules.

Once again, our thread has strayed from the iPad.

- Thoth.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes you wonder how terrorists have ever been able to get away with anything, doesn't it? Of course the sheer volume of signal intelligence makes it impossible to vet. It's all electronically sifted for keywords and points-of-origin so it's easy to miss something important. And let us not forget code, even stupid ones, often fool the system.

Thoth: Is my iPad ready?

Orren: Yes. Do you want rolling paper with your iPad?

- Thoth

We'll unGoth you yet. :lol:

The truth is, I was always a bad goth. First of all, I had a tween hero crush on Rick Springfield. That more or less removed all of my goth cred. :) Then again, if I ever do a really dark, goth cover of "Jessie's Girl" that would bring it all back. (and yes, I married the only goth girl in the land who also liked Rick Springfield.

But I was always a metalhead as well, and there is one of those petty high school rivalries between goth and metal. It meant that when we played live, the "goth purists" usually panned us pretty seriously: http://www.aracnet.com/~jester/review/darkling.thrush-1.html

"Someone really needs to let Darkling Thrush know that Dark Metal does not equal Goth...."

What does it cost to back up that much data in the Cloud?

Mozy costs $55/year for unlimited storage. $4.59/mo for piece of mind is pretty cheap. I'm not counting the cost of MobileMe since to me, that is a Mac/iPhone sync service that happens to include some storage; for the longest time I didn't use its storage at all.

Once again, our thread has strayed from the iPad.

Okay, tying in music, technology, goth, and the iPad, I can't begin to tell you how "on fire" the music community is about this:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/04/02/k...-preview-video/

I had an original Korg ElectTribe, and for what they were, they were amazing devices. There are of course music apps for the iPhone/iTouch but those are mostly toys. This is a real production app, and it has musicians quite tingly all over.

But it's academic—I don't have the money for an iPad even if I could justify one, full stop.

Orren

Hey

I'm going to start a new thread over in the lounge about the cloud and back up habits. I need to set up a new system myself and I am interested in hearing about people's experience with Mozy etc. etc.

Thoth, a better plan would be waiting out the insanity and going in on a week day about a week or two from now. Of course, if you go and report back, those of us who avoid the insanity can live vicariously through your report. :P

- Jools

The truth is, I was always a bad goth. First of all, I had a tween hero crush on Rick Springfield.

We've all had our tween hero crushes. Most of us have the good sense to be horribly embarrassed about them. I know I am.

That more or less removed all of my goth cred. :) Then again, if I ever do a really dark, goth cover of "Jessie's Girl" that would bring it all back.

A really dark, goth cover of "Jessie's Girl"? I think a lot of people would pay to hear that.

...and yes, I married the only goth girl in the land who also liked Rick Springfield.

I love happy endings. :P

But I was always a metalhead as well, and there is one of those petty high school rivalries between goth and metal. It meant that when we played live, the "goth purists" usually panned us pretty seriously: http://www.aracnet.com/~jester/review/darkling.thrush-1.html

"Someone really needs to let Darkling Thrush know that Dark Metal does not equal Goth...."

Who is Shasha Dobson and why is she allowed to steal the name of your band for her album?

Mozy costs $55/year for unlimited storage. $4.59/mo for piece of mind is pretty cheap. I'm not counting the cost of MobileMe since to me, that is a Mac/iPhone sync service that happens to include some storage; for the longest time I didn't use its storage at all.

Good to know. Thank you.

Okay, tying in music, technology, goth, and the iPad, I can't begin to tell you how "on fire" the music community is about this:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/04/02/k...-preview-video/

I had an original Korg ElectTribe, and for what they were, they were amazing devices. There are of course music apps for the iPhone/iTouch but those are mostly toys. This is a real production app, and it has musicians quite tingly all over.

Your tying effort is appreciated and interesting. I remember seeing a commercial (don't worry, I'm not posting any ads) where someone laid out a series of iPhones on a piano keyboard and played a tune on them. Do you suppose the iPad would make a good guitar? Perhaps Apple might sponsor an Apple products band. (Just trying my hand at tying things together.)

- Thoth

Hey

I'm going to start a new thread over in the lounge about the cloud and back up habits. I need to set up a new system myself and I am interested in hearing about people's experience with Mozy etc. etc.

Good idea. I think Orren will have a thing or two to say on the subject.

Thoth, a better plan would be waiting out the insanity and going in on a week day about a week or two from now. Of course, if you go and report back, those of us who avoid the insanity can live vicariously through your report. :P

- Jools

I'll take a cab to the big store on Fifth Avenue. If there are crowds outside I'll try the SoHo store. If not there then there are stores on the Upper West Side and on West 14th Street. (Maybe I should try the Upper West Side first to save on the fare.)

Waiting out the insanity makes perfect sense but this isn't about sense. I want to touch it. I want to hold it in my hands and see if it measures up. I know I'm obsessing. I have iPad fever and I got it bad, sister. They'll have to put a boot on my wheelchair to keep me away!

"I'll go blind before I stop." - Meatloaf.

- Thoth.

Who is Shasha Dobson and why is she allowed to steal the name of your band for her album?

I have no idea who she is, but since I stole the name from the Thomas Hardy poem The Darkling Thrush, I suppose she's allowed. :P (I used to teach the poem in my writing classes, BTW. A great poem, by a great writer).

I remember seeing a commercial (don't worry, I'm not posting any ads) where someone laid out a series of iPhones on a piano keyboard and played a tune on them.

That's the problem with most iPhone music apps. Some of them are really innovative and fun, but they're toys. I have a couple drum machines for my iPhone, but they're not "real" instruments, more like ways to pass time, and maybe something that would spur you to try the same thing on a desktop instrument later.

Do you suppose the iPad would make a good guitar? Perhaps Apple might sponsor an Apple products band. (Just trying my hand at tying things together.)

There's already a harp app, certainly more to come. I actually have some iPhone apps you can strum, but I don't think any guitarists are going to put away their axes just yet. But the great thing about the iPad is that for all some people are upset that you can't install a programming environment on your iPad, the truth is that Apple has made it pretty easy for programmers to write for it. John Gruber has a wonderful entry on Daring Fireball called The Kids Are Alright where he talks about a 13-year old who wrote an iPad app that will be in the store day one. And interestingly, I was one of those 13-year old kids who wrote programs in BASIC on my Apple II! Anyway, I'm sure that people will find a way to make the iPad a real stage instrument, and a studio tool as well.

Maybe by that point, I'll actually be in a position to buy one. :) Who knows.

Orren

Typing from my iPad. I am in love! :) Take that, Kindle. I can actually read the posts on the Storyist forums (not to mention a bunch of other things). And the books are pretty cool too. :)

Oh, yes, and The Ten Commandments is on. Can life hold any more joy? :P

Typing from my iPad. I am in love! :) Take that, Kindle. I can actually read the posts on the Storyist forums (not to mention a bunch of other things). And the books are pretty cool too. :)

Congrats! I'm waiting for the 3G version (And a few paychecks) glad to see your enjoying yours :)

First an upgrade to Snow Leopard and now an iPad? M, did you sell your manuscript?

-steve

Posted from my iPad.

I've been playing with mine since before The Ten Commandments started (7PM E.S.T.). I can multitask. :)

But I promised a review. Seems a bit pointless now given all the reviews hitting the Web. But I do have a few things I'd like to mention.

1. No Photoshop. No Quicken. :) Only Apple App Store software can work with the iPad.

2. It looks and feels great. :) The 1.5 pound slate wasn't a strain even after 3 hours! But keep a cloth around to wipe away the fingerprints.

3. Just lower-resolution 720p video is supported. :) But it still looks terrific. Cover View looks amazing!

4. It sometimes doesn't quite recognize my taps and swipes. My fault; sometimes I use my nails. I guess that pointy iPad stylus for artists isn't going to happen. :(

5. Ads for iPad apps are sprouting up all over the place. :)

That's it for the review. I suppose 1 & 3 will pop up in other people's reviews. As for me, I'm still basking in the afterglow of acquiring a new beast. So I'm going back to play. (I think Moses has just cursed Pharaoh with the last plague.

BTW: I was thinking about waiting for the 3G version. That's a logical move. But I just got caught up in the "insanely great" (as SJ says) enthusiasm of it all. So I plunked down my $500+ (actually, I paid by credit card).

M, Steve, maybe we could breed our beasts and sell off the baby iPads (iPhones?) for a profit.

Just a thought.

- Thoth

I've been playing with mine since before The Ten Commandments started (7PM E.S.T.). I can multitask. :)

But I promised a review. Seems a bit pointless now given all the reviews hitting the Web. But I do have a few things I'd like to mention.

1. No Photoshop. No Quicken. :P Only Apple App Store software can work with the iPad.

2. It looks and feels great. :( The 1.5 pound slate wasn't a strain even after 3 hours! But keep a cloth around to wipe away the fingerprints.

3. Just lower-resolution 720p video is supported. :) But it still looks terrific. Cover View looks amazing!

5. It sometimes doesn't quite recognize my taps and swipes. My fault; sometimes I use my nails. I guess that pointy iPad stylus for artists isn't going to happen. :)

6. Ads for iPad apps are sprouting up all over the place. :)

That's it for the review. I suppose 1 & 3 will pop up in other people's reviews. As for me, I'm still basking in the afterglow of acquiring a new beast. So I'm going back to play. (I think Moses has just cursed Pharaoh with the last plague.

BTW: I was thinking about waiting for the 3G version. That's a logical move. But I just got caught up in the "insanely great" (as SJ says) enthusiasm of it all. So I plunked down my $500+ (actually, I paid by credit card).

M, Steve, maybe we could breed our beasts and sell off the baby iPads (iPhones?) for a profit.

Just a thought.

- Thoth

http://tenonedesign.com/products.php?application=iPad

They have something special planned for iPad but their iPhone stylus would work just fine I'm sure.

Also photoshop.com would work on the iPad I'm sure. And instead of Quicken there's mint.com.

http://tenonedesign.com/products.php?application=iPad

They have something special planned for iPad but their iPhone stylus would work just fine I'm sure.

Yes. I've seen the Pogo Sketch stylus. I've even commented on it (elsewhere). But the keyword was "pointy". Neither the Pogo nor the iPhone stylus are good drawing tools.

Also photoshop.com would work on the iPad I'm sure. And instead of Quicken there's mint.com.

Photoshop the Web site, yes. Photoshop the program, no. Or at least not yet. (Remember, I'm not a Cloud guy. Or at least not yet.)

- Thoth.

Yes. I've seen the Pogo Sketch stylus. I've even commented on it (elsewhere). But the keyword was "pointy". Neither the Pogo nor the iPhome stylus are good drawing tools.

Photoshop the Web site, yes. Photoshop the program, no. Or at least not yet. (Remember, I'm not a Cloud guy. Or at least not yet.)

- Thoth.

Silly me, ps.com is flash based lol.

I'm sure they are coming.

First an upgrade to Snow Leopard and now an iPad? M, did you sell your manuscript?

-steve

Posted from my iPad.

I wish. I earned the iMac through the sweat of my brow (editing a manuscript on Soviet statisticians, and boy, did they make me sweat). The iPad is thanks to a nice, fat, unexpected royalty check for my nonfiction book, now 16 years old but apparently still kicking. :P In fiction I remain gloriously unpublished, alas!

Waiting for that Storyist app, Steve. :)

M

Well, I didn't see an iPad or play with one (so I'm living vicariously through Thoth & M) ... but I did catch 5 garter snakes today (which is about the equivalent of the rest of the garter snakes I've caught or seen in the wild for all previous years of my life). Most will be released on my property, I'm hoping the females will have lots of babies while in my care and start a colony here. Productive day :)

Now, to bring it back to topic... I did decided that I will probably order a 3G iPad in the near future in place of a mac mini/replacement desktop. I never used my desktop much and since I got a bigger laptop hard drive and my father and I want to develop apps (we're probably jumping in way over our heads. haha!) we figure it makes more sense... It will also preserve my laptop from wear and tear damage when all I need to do is browse the web etc. soooooo in the mean time, I'm hoping you guys will alert me to any major flaws. :P

I must say I'm still frustrated with the App store.... there is no easy way to browse only iPad apps or only iPhone apps (that I can find).... everything is all mashed together. Then again.. the App store has never been the greatest for random browsing of Apps in my opinion.

I'm also really frustrated that iBooks is iPad exclusive. Apple's making a lot of people mad with that one... Kindle is probably feeling better about themselves though. I was really looking forward to iBooks on my iPhone. Boo!

Ditto on the Storyist App.

I would love to see a Photoshop app of some sort, though with Apple's relations with Flash/Adobe ..... would it make it through to the App store?

I'm curious if apps that have both iPad and iPhone versions will be able to sync to each other at all, like a notes app or a money managing app or tracking type app.

- Jules

Just what does The List look like these days?

I don't think Santa's list has anything on our requests lists. :P We're very demanding. Steve should be nominated for Sainthood ... or does one have to be dead for that?.. that wouldn't be good.

... but I did catch 5 garter snakes today (which is about the equivalent of the rest of the garter snakes I've caught or seen in the wild for all previous years of my life). Most will be released on my property, I'm hoping the females will have lots of babies while in my care and start a colony here. Productive day :P

Aren't you concerned about being overrun with garter snakes? I mean, I can think of a lot of things I'd rather be overrun with.

Now, to bring it back to topic... I did decided that I will probably order a 3G iPad in the near future in place of a mac mini/replacement desktop. I never used my desktop much and since I got a bigger laptop hard drive and my father and I want to develop apps (we're probably jumping in way over our heads. haha!) we figure it makes more sense... It will also preserve my laptop from wear and tear damage when all I need to do is browse the web etc. soooooo in the mean time, I'm hoping you guys will alert me to any major flaws. :P

Well, I haven't had it long but it's been fun so far. I'll give the forum a heads-up on any mutant abnormalities. (For some reason I think my iPad is in love with my microwave oven.)

I'm also really frustrated that iBooks is iPad exclusive. Apple's making a lot of people mad with that one... Kindle is probably feeling better about themselves though. I was really looking forward to iBooks on my iPhone. Boo!

I'm guessing that they're using the same strategy they used for the iPod.

Sleep well, Oh Mistress Of The Garter Snakes.

Your scaly minions will soon descend upon Apple and force your wishes upon them.

- Thoth.

1. No Photoshop. No Quicken. :P Only Apple App Store software can work with the iPad.

I know you're not a cloud guy, but this Quicken iPhone app should run:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...application.jsp

BTW, there are a number of very nice finance iPhone apps that can export in Quicken format, so that might hold you over until Quicken release a "real" app, not just a wrapper for their online service.

Re: Photoshop—what is it that you would want to do in Photoshop on an iPad instead of a desktop? Are there other native iPad drawing apps that would do those tasks just as well?

I ask because in all honesty, I find Adobe's license agreements and upgrade policies to be disgusting, really repugnant to me (in addition to expensive!) and if I could be rid of Adobe stuff, I'd love to be. Honestly, far more than Microsoft.

I just got caught up in the "insanely great" (as SJ says) enthusiasm of it all. So I plunked down my $500+ (actually, I paid by credit card).

That's why I will not go to an Apple Store to check it out. :) I have no money to plunk down.

The iPad is thanks to a nice, fat, unexpected royalty check for my nonfiction book, now 16 years old but apparently still kicking. :D In fiction I remain gloriously unpublished, alas!

I am right there with you as far as non-fiction being published, and fiction not. :) I also have a book that I co-wrote, Logic Pro 9 Power!, coming out in about a month. Hopefully that will mean I'll see a few hundred dollars in royalties from it this summer, and maybe that could turn into an iPad. We'll see! Of course, I have to buy the new iPhone this summer... :P

I must say I'm still frustrated with the App store.... there is no easy way to browse only iPad apps or only iPhone apps (that I can find).... everything is all mashed together. Then again.. the App store has never been the greatest for random browsing of Apps in my opinion.

I think one of the issues is that for many apps, there is not an "iPad" version, and an "iPhone" version. Today when I turned on my iPhone, I had about 5 app updates waiting for me, and they all had "updated for iPad" in the list of changes—meaning "one app fits all." These are news readers, NASA apps, etc. so not the sort of app that really has a ton of menu options or anything really "custom" for the iPad, but there you go. I'm guessing that there's going to be enough "one size fits all" stuff for at least a while (if not all time) that separating the stores completely might not make sense.

I'm also really frustrated that iBooks is iPad exclusive....I was really looking forward to iBooks on my iPhone. Boo!

That has to change. Right now, you can't even read your iBooks on your desktop, even though they are synced to your desktop. This makes no sense. I have a friend in Apple's iPhone department who told me that ultimately there will be a solution. And of course there has to be. Apple never announces their future plans, but it's pretty obvious that they have to be developing something.

with Apple's relations with Flash/Adobe ..... would [a photoshop app] make it through to the App store?

I would guess so. Apple has the Google app in the app store, Microsoft apps in the app store, etc. So they already have apps by competitors. And speaking of Flash, Adobe CS5 will include a "Flash packager" which means that Flash content can be "packaged" into an iPhone/iPad app. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/

Orren

I don't think Santa's list has anything on our requests lists. :P We're very demanding. Steve should be nominated for Sainthood ... or does one have to be dead for that?.. that wouldn't be good.

As for myself, I won't be truly satisfied with Storyist until Steve finishes the telepathic interface. And maybe not even then.

:P

- Thoth

I know you're not a cloud guy, but this Quicken iPhone app should run:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance...application.jsp

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Re: Photoshop—what is it that you would want to do in Photoshop on an iPad instead of a desktop?

Edit my existing Photoshop stuff from my big comfy chair, or perhaps, in bed. Seriously, I'm still just exploring the potential of my new beast. To be candid, there isn't anything the iPad does that I can't (in one way or another) do on my desktop. But as you once said, "It's magical".

I ask because in all honesty, I find Adobe's license agreements and upgrade policies to be disgusting, really repugnant to me (in addition to expensive!) and if I could be rid of Adobe stuff, I'd love to be. Honestly, far more than Microsoft.

The key phrase here is "if I could be rid of Adobe stuff...". DRMs and ERMs** are my bread and butter. My clients (the unreasonable ones) want them as Photoshop files. "I'm just trying to keep my customers satisfied. Satisfied."* :P

Still playing with my iPad — hardly writing scripts at all.

- Thoth.

* © Simon & Garfunkel

** Data Requirements Model, Entity-Relationship Model

Archived