Storyist Forums

The Apple Tablet Event?

Steve E

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not photoshop, but an Adobe app, and people seem to like it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-ideas...d364617858?mt=8

And it's avail through the iTunes App Store, under Entertainment, oddly enough, for free!

But I have a small problem with their ratings system. Out of 201 customer ratings 85 gave it 5 stars, 26 gave it 4 stars, 26 gave it 3 stars, 31 gave it 2 stars and 33 gave it only one star. Yet when I went to look at the reviews they posted no 1-star or 2-star reviews and only one 3-star review. All the rest were 4-star and 5-star postings. How am I supposed to find out what's wrong with this product if iTunes won't post negative reviews for it?

Well, at least it's free.

- Thoth

But I have a small problem with their ratings system. Out of 201 customer ratings 85 gave it 5 stars, 26 gave it 4 stars, 26 gave it 3 stars, 31 gave it 2 stars and 33 gave it only one star. Yet when I went to look at the reviews they posted no 1-star or 2-star reviews and only one 3-star review. All the rest were 4-star and 5-star postings. How am I supposed to find out what's wrong with this product if iTunes won't post negative reviews for it?

Have you left any iTunes reviews yourself?

First of all, you can leave a rating without a review.

Second of all, it's not Apple choosing what to post. 201 people bothered to leave a rating, only 22 people bothered to leave a written review. All 22 were up on the page.

To the best of my knowledge, anyone can write anything on a review, and it will be posted without any censorship at all.

Orren

I don't think you have to leave a review to give it a star rating.

Orren: First of all, you can leave a rating without a review.

Julia: I don't think you have to leave a review to give it a star rating.

Yes, I know. But how do we know our actual negative reviews get posted? I once left a negative review on a spackling product. The Spackle itself was fine but they sent it in a big box without adequate padding or filler. The tub opened in transit and there was Spackle all over the inside of the box. I said as much. I received an e-mail from the company asking me to take the review down in exchange for a partial refund of the shipping cost. I said no. Nevertheless, a month later the review disappeared. I could not get a satisfactory explanation for this.

- Thoth

But how do we know our actual negative reviews get posted?

I just did a search for Tweetie 2 in the App Store. This is the iPhone Twitter client I use, with 599 5-star ratings. I sorted the 92 text reviews by most critical, and got an entire page of 1-star reviews.

I can't imagine that Apple would censor negative reviews from Adobe, a major competitor, but allow Tweetie, a fantastic Mac app by a true Apple programmer, to be slagged off.

Orren

Well, I got to play with one today! The Apple guy was hovering for questions and there were some people behind me wanting to try it, so it was only for a few minutes, but typing was fairly easy and it was pretty nifty!

Aren't you concerned about being overrun with garter snakes? I mean, I can think of a lot of things I'd rather be overrun with.

Sleep well, Oh Mistress Of The Garter Snakes.

Your scaly minions will soon descend upon Apple and force your wishes upon them.

- Thoth.

I caught 6 more yesterday! I now have 11 new + my current two... the 11 new ones are in a big tank together... it's amazing watching their social behaviors. I might start a colony in my huge aquarium. :) I would love being over run with garter snakes.

Photoshop—what is it that you would want to do in Photoshop on an iPad instead of a desktop? Are there other native iPad drawing apps that would do those tasks just as well?

I ask because in all honesty, I find Adobe's license agreements and upgrade policies to be disgusting, really repugnant to me (in addition to expensive!) and if I could be rid of Adobe stuff, I'd love to be. Honestly, far more than Microsoft.

Ideally, If I were to go on vacation etc. etc., I would like to be able to input a couple photographs from my camera (which, I guess I would have to shoot JPG copies of my raw files b/c I don't think it can handle raw files), toss them in a photoshop type app, and at the very least be able to crop them & size them. I would really like to be able to round the corners, add my logo from another image or brush or some type of thing, and save it so that I can then put them in a blog entry, without having to take my laptop along. Basic adjustments would be appreciated as well, especially because if I want to put my portfolio on there, adjust an image so that it would look the best it can on the iPad is better done actually on the iPad, than doing trial and error and sending it back and forth for an image that doesn't look quite right. That's my ideal. Whether or not that would actually be possible, who knows, but it would be handy.

And, if there is major competition for Creative Suite programs that I'm unaware of, I'll be happy to check them out, but as far as I'm aware there really aren't any other programs that can do all the things I need them to do. Maybe through a combination of programs, but then it just gets complicated and annoying. CS# tend to be industry standard and pretty much required, whether or not Adobe sucks... what giant company doesn't?

I think one of the issues is that for many apps, there is not an "iPad" version, and an "iPhone" version. Today when I turned on my iPhone, I had about 5 app updates waiting for me, and they all had "updated for iPad" in the list of changes—meaning "one app fits all." These are news readers, NASA apps, etc. so not the sort of app that really has a ton of menu options or anything really "custom" for the iPad, but there you go. I'm guessing that there's going to be enough "one size fits all" stuff for at least a while (if not all time) that separating the stores completely might not make sense.

Yea, but there are iPad only apps and apps that have been optimized for the iPad. I'd appreciate a way to browse just those apps. It's pretty much a hit and miss search otherwise, unless you stick with the charts/noteworthy.

That has to change. Right now, you can't even read your iBooks on your desktop, even though they are synced to your desktop. This makes no sense. I have a friend in Apple's iPhone department who told me that ultimately there will be a solution. And of course there has to be. Apple never announces their future plans, but it's pretty obvious that they have to be developing something.

I sure hope so.

I would guess so. Apple has the Google app in the app store, Microsoft apps in the app store, etc. So they already have apps by competitors. And speaking of Flash, Adobe CS5 will include a "Flash packager" which means that Flash content can be "packaged" into an iPhone/iPad app. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/

That's pretty interesting.

I used to be a big PS fan until I decided I wanted to pay for all my software and be legit 100%.

So that was the end of PS for me, it's too expensive.

Ah but Pixelmator fit the bill and I STILL love it, a WONDERFUL Mac Native image editing app.

http://www.pixelmator.com

Look into it, I LOVE it!

If only there was an iPad app ... lol. Let me go bug the Dev's lol!

Thanks for the link! I will be checking it out. It won't replace photoshop completely for me, I need vectors, cmyk, etc., but I'll be checking out the trial just for fun. One thing it's lacking severely, is rulers (from what info I can find), which is another thing I use very often.

When you go in through iTunes, now there is a separate section for iPad apps. A lot of apps have a + sign next to them, which means they adjust to work on either the iPad or the iPhone.

I still don't see any way to do that. Yes the charts have an iPad view now and there's the "new and noteworthy ipad apps" part, but you can't browse through categories for only iPad apps or only iPhone apps. If you know what you're looking for, you can do a search, and it gives you an iPad apps option, but I like to browse to find out what's out there. It's annoying.

I'm sure this is only a matter of time. If the iBookstore takes off, Apple will find a way to let you access it through an iPhone or iPod Touch. Right now it's a selling point for the iPad.

Ditto on Photoshop. If the iPad sells 7-10 million units as predicted by the end of the year, I expect Adobe will decide that it can compromise, at least on Photoshop Elements and Digital Editions.

I hope so

On the syncing, I don't know, but each device will sync with iTunes, so functionally the result is the same.

Not exactly. I was hoping that content would sync. Say, I have a note app (such as Awesome Note), I want my notes on my iPhone and iPad to be in sync. Unfortunately it isn't possible (yet?), unless the app itself stores it's data online somewhere the devices can sync themselves to. So, I could export all my notes to google docs from one device and import them into another, but it's a hassle and you'll probably lose things along the way. Basically, if an app stores its data within the app on the device, it won't sync to the same app on your other device. So, for a tracking app that doesn't have the ability to sync online somehow, I would have to choose which device to use it on otherwise my data wouldn't all be together.

At least, that's what the Apple Guy told me. Hopefully apps will start appearing that can sync between your devices.

Okay. I'm beginning to not like the iPad keyboard so much. I'm used to an nice ergonomic split keyboard and the iPad's virtual keyboard is beginning to feel cramped (yes, even in landscape view). I don't have M's dainty little girly hands. I have big, masculine man-paws and they are beginning to complain about their confinement.

I knew it would be something. I had just hoped it wouldn't be this soon.

Still a fun product, though.

- Thoth.

My girly little hands have finally come in handy! I only spent a couple minutes typing, but it was pretty nice.

(continued)

More salt into my wounds...

And the 24th of April is NOT this week, last time I checked. Even worse, the 16g WiFi-only iPad will cost around US$ 673 here, while yours is what? $499?

If it makes you feel better, I'm waiting for the 3G model, which isn't out until later this month too.

There aren't any hidden cursor keys on iPad's standard virtual keyboard.

And even when you're using the physical keyboard, some shortcuts you're familiar with from OS X (mostly the formatting ones) don't work. For instance, if you're using Pages with a physical keyboard, Command+B, Command+I, and Command+U don't add bold, italics, or underlining. You need to take your fingers off the keyboard and use the touch interface.

-Steve

That's a bit disappointing. Maybe this will be supported in the future?

Well, if you get really upset, you can always do this to your iPad:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/193388/appl...ress_tests.html

I agree with Thoth, very cringe worthy. I would like to know how hard they dropped it on the carpet though. That's one concern of mine. I have cats.

Orren

Thank you! This looks pretty awesome!

Yes, I know. But how do we know our actual negative reviews get posted? I once left a negative review on a spackling product. The Spackle itself was fine but they sent it in a big box without adequate padding or filler. The tub opened in transit and there was Spackle all over the inside of the box. I said as much. I received an e-mail from the company asking me to take the review down in exchange for a partial refund of the shipping cost. I said no. Nevertheless, a month later the review disappeared. I could not get a satisfactory explanation for this.

- Thoth

I've seen lots of 1 star review on apps. I generally read those first, before reading any glowing reviews. I don't think Apple would hide negative Adobe reviews, if anything I think they'd try to put them first. :)

More salt into my wounds...

And the 24th of April is NOT this week, last time I checked. Even worse, the 16g WiFi-only iPad will cost around US$ 673 here, while yours is what? $499?

If it makes you feel better, I'm waiting for the 3G model, which isn't out until later this month too.

There aren't any hidden cursor keys on iPad's standard virtual keyboard.

And even when you're using the physical keyboard, some shortcuts you're familiar with from OS X (mostly the formatting ones) don't work. For instance, if you're using Pages with a physical keyboard, Command+B, Command+I, and Command+U don't add bold, italics, or underlining. You need to take your fingers off the keyboard and use the touch interface.

-Steve

That's a bit disappointing. Maybe this will be supported in the future?

Well, if you get really upset, you can always do this to your iPad:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/193388/appl...ress_tests.html

I agree with Thoth, very cringe worthy. I would like to know how hard they dropped it on the carpet though. That's one concern of mine. I have cats.

Orren

Thank you! This looks pretty awesome!

Waiting for 3G

- Jules

It has rulers Julia.

It does? Hmm.. their FAQ didn't mention them in the "what can I use to measure" question, and another review I read said it didn't have them (maybe a previous version though). Thanks for the correction! I thought the lack of rulers was a little odd.

I just watched that from your Twitter Feed and am now happily watching all their other videos.... that would be so much fun!

- J

I just watched that from your Twitter Feed and am now happily watching all their other videos.... that would be so much fun!

- J

He turned the iPad into little gray pebbles and dust. He reduced over five-thousand carats of cubic zirconium into a fine white powder! I want that blender!

- Thoth (Will he blend?)

I can't imagine that Apple would censor negative reviews from Adobe, a major competitor, but allow Tweetie, a fantastic Mac app by a true Apple programmer, to be slagged off.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But my review of a product's poor shipping was taken down, so I don't have to imagine.

Archived