Storyist Forums

The Apple Tablet Event?

Steve E

You can scratch Multi-tasking off your iPad wish list.

For those of you who didn't obsessively stream an iPhone OS 4.0 liveblog stream (yup...I did) the first "tentpole" feature announced was multi-tasking. And what multi-tasking it is.

Coming to an iPhone near you this Summer, and they were sure to mention that the 100s of new features will work for the iPad as well.

Just in time for me to get one in Fall or so. :)

Orren

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out http://www.zagg.com/zaggskins/index.php?intcmp=top_nav_btn I have their InvisibleShield for my iPhone and really like it. If I get an iPad I may get one and customize it for my business. I'd get one for my iPhone, but I have a rubber case on mine, so you wouldn't be able to see it. Maybe I could find a clear case that'd fit around it.

You can scratch Multi-tasking off your iPad wish list.

For those of you who didn't obsessively stream an iPhone OS 4.0 liveblog stream (yup...I did) the first "tentpole" feature announced was multi-tasking. And what multi-tasking it is.

Coming to an iPhone near you this Summer, and they were sure to mention that the 100s of new features will work for the iPad as well.

Just in time for me to get one in Fall or so. :)

Orren

I am so excited for multi-tasking. I am very happy I will be able to stream Pandora in the background. That is really the only thing I've heard about. Is there a Keynote or a really good article about it or something? I actually forgot it was today until I saw your tweet about it Orren. Then all I could find was random blog articles. They haven't given a release date for it yet have they?

-Jules

I actually forgot it was today until I saw your tweet about it Orren. Then all I could find was random blog articles. They haven't given a release date for it yet have they?

Glad to be of service! Sometimes, I geek out so much on this stuff, it's almost embarrassing... (please don't judge me guys! No really, I'm a cool rocker, honest! I'm...I'm...no...I'm a geek... :) )

They've not announced specific dates, just Summer 2010 for iPhone 4.0 (I'm guessing at the WWDC in June/July) and Fall 2010 for iPad.

Orren

Geeks unite!

Aw... Fall for the iPad??? I would have thought that'd be first. Oh oh and I'm soooo excited for iBooks on the iPhone! YAY!!!!!!

Am I the only old-fashion member here who is still writing his scripts using only a pen and some papers before typing them?

:)

That is a distinct possibility. But there is something to be said for a pencil and pad. Perhaps an iPad app will provide a reasonable substitute some day.

:)

It makes for great children's books or for interactive textbooks.

It could be so much more though. Another example I've been thinking about. David Brin has a novel called Startide rising, the second in his uplift trilogy. Imagine that everything you double tapped a characters name instead of having to go to the front of the book to read his bio, it just popped up contextually. Same for planets or species.

Alice for iPad.

I SOO have an idea for a book like this.

It makes for great children's books or for interactive textbooks.

It could be so much more though. Another example I've been thinking about. David Brin has a novel called Startide rising, the second in his uplift trilogy. Imagine that everything you double tapped a characters name instead of having to go to the front of the book to read his bio, it just popped up contextually. Same for planets or species.

Oh my gosh yes!! I totally have had a bunch of ideas like that for all sorts of things.

Sigh! No iPad in April - Apple just announced a slight delay for the rest of us. Well, maybe we'll get it together with OS 4...

Just had one to play with and want one.

I hate waiting.

Thought you might enjoy this review of the Keyboard dock for the iPad:

Thanks. Clearly the chicklet keyboard has a long way to go. And Pages! No smart quotes in the iPad yet.

Nice to see the arrow keys on the physical keyboard but they're limited to certain aps. (I really don't like the magnifier. It's just not a proper substitute.)

- Thoth

Ack! My three have enough fun with the laser printer, which just died: a coincidence? I think not.

YouTube guy claims that the screen is fine, but personally I don't think I'd like to try explaining that one to the warranty people. Even Applecare might not cover it.... :)

Thanks for the link, Orren.

Best,

M

That video was too cute. My cats would get their paws flicked though... I get enough trouble from the one who will leap on the chance to step on and sleep on my laptop any time it's open and not in my hands.

- J

Anyone see the news item that Israel is confiscating iPads from U.S. travelers entering the country? The government's story is that the Ministry of Communications can't settle on a plan for making sure that the WiFi is compatible with the local network. So if you show up with an iPad in your luggage, the customs officer grabs it and carts it off to a "warehouse," whence it will eventually be shipped back to you in the States if you beg and plead and fill out the right paperwork.

And of course, those customs officers are not in the back room checking their e-mails and streaming video. No sirree. Wouldn't think of it.

That'll teach Apple to delay global shipments for a month. Some people just can't wait! :P

M

I have an iPad question.

Since I'm using Tiger and not 10.5.8 (or better), I had to initialize my iPad at the store. It was crowded and busy and I couldn't watch them take it out of the box to initialize it. So I'm wondering if something fell out of the box. I have the USB cable and the plug-in power converter and the "instruction" card and the apple stickers. But were there ear buds?

My iPhone and iPod came with ear buds. But not the iPad?

- Thoth.

Archived