Storyist Forums

The Apple Tablet Event?

Steve E

I got my iPad today! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I have yet to actually play with the thing... I got an invisibleshield put on it right away and then I had to sync it (there's no option to not sync iphone apps?!?) but it's finished syncing now so I think it's (finally) time to run off and play with it.

Yay!!!!!

:ph34r:

How are the seasoned iPad owners doing with theirs?

- Jools

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my iPad today! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Congratulations!

Enjoy!

I have yet to actually play with the thing... I got an invisibleshield put on it right away...

Good thinking!

Remember, never get it wet and don't feed it after midnight.

How are the seasoned iPad owners doing with theirs?

I think "seasoned" is a bit of an overstatement in my case. I rather enjoy having the WSJ delivered to my iPad and I hear that there will be a WolfRam Alpha app that is sure to impress all my geek friends. But as I'm still running Tiger on a PowerPC (and suffering snide remarks from the aforementioned geeky friends) I cannot conveniently use my new beast to it's full potential (yet!). But look at what M is doing! She's editing her novel on her iPad (while simultaneously putting her son through Harvard and plugging oil leaks in the Gulf using only her toes). I'd like to hear how that's working out for her.

So, when you get around to it, let us know if we made a mistake not waiting for the 3G version.

- Thoth

But look at what M is doing! She's editing her novel on her iPad (while simultaneously putting her son through Harvard and plugging oil leaks in the Gulf using only her toes). I'd like to hear how that's working out for her.

- Thoth

The Gulf oil thing, not so well. :lol: I really need more toes. That darned oil is spewing like a volcano.

Yes, congratulations, JG. Let us know how it goes.

Best,

M

Well I'm sitting here typing this on my iPad. I'm enjoying it so far but i keep hitting the return key because i forget that the apostrophe key isn't there. Heh. You will have to forgive any typing errors or out of place words that I've missed.

So have any of you heard about the new ATT data plans. No more "unlimited" plans and now there's even more ridiculous pricing models. It's crazy. I'm interested in hearing your opinions on it. Here's one link about it I'm sure you can find more if you google it.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/0602...at.html?hpg1=bn

I am trying to decide if i should buy the current iPad plan so I have the option to keep it, but that means paying for it every month even when i don't need it which is what i didn't want to do in the first place. I am about to sign up for netflix though. I tried to log in to check my iphone data usage, but managed to get our account locked because no one in this family logs in except me and i haven't been on the plan in years so I've forgot whatever log in information we had. Now i have to wait until late tonight or tomorrow so my dad, the account holder, can get it unlocked. Ah the security measures that make our lives safer. You should hear the bank security issues i had actually purchasing the iPad. :lol:

My one complaint about the ipad so far is that I've had wireless dropping issues, which is surprising to me since I have the 3G so it isn't a signal strength issue. It drops the connection and doesn't rejoin and has asked me to re-input the password, which is really annoying since I have a crazy password that came with our verizon fios (crap) router. Any suggestions are really welcome. Paying for 3G just to have uninterrupted service is pretty tempting, though less so with their stupid new plans.

Typing is a bit awkward but i think I'll get used to it. I am impressed by the doubling of the iphone apps on this thing. I'd been told by a friend that it was pretty terrible and pixelated, but I've found that most apps are at least tolerable if not pretty decent. Of course I've found at least one app in which the animations don't work the way they do on the iPhone (finger piano). I have to go through all the iPhone apps on here and pick which ones I want and don't want so I have room. I'll be buying my first paid apps soon. Yay. I am anxiously awaiting 4.0 so I can put apps in folders!

Oh and I agree with Thoth, I wish there were arrow keys too. M, the iPad skin from zagg does seem to help with finger prints as I haven't been really bothered by them. One thing about it though is they got their length measurement about a 1/8-1/4 of an inch too short. I'll be letting them know and we'll see what they say. My custom skin for the back is pretty awesome though. It has one of my photographs on it and my logo. Hurray advertising my brand on my iPad. :) I will post a picture soon.

Well I guess I should end this long and rambly post and go find another thread to ramble on. :D

-Jools

So have any of you heard about the new ATT data plans. No more "unlimited" plans and now there's even more ridiculous pricing models. It's crazy. I'm interested in hearing your opinions on it.

For my situation it's a glorious gift from AT&T.

I live in a major urban environment with fantastic wi-fi coverage. Not only do I have wi-fi at home, but nearly every cafe, sandwich shop, friend's house, you name it offers wi-fi. AT&T has free wifi spots all over my area. I use my iPhone's 3G data when I'm looking up directions or reading blogs or checking a bank balance outside on the street, but hardly anything else.

When I saw that AT&T was offering 200MB per month for $15, I logged into AT&T wireless online to check my account and checked what my 3G data usage was for the last 6 months. From 12/09 through 05/10, my usage hovered between 13MB and 26MB per month—nowhere close pushing the limits of the $30/month unlimited data plan AT&T forced me into when I got the iPhone. Even if in the future I use five times as much 3G data transfer as I have previously, I'd still not even approach the 200MB/month limit. So for me, I can drop to the $15/month plan easily.

If that were the end of it, I would save $180/year. But wait, there's more! :lol:

My contract is up in July, at which point I will replace my iPhone 3G with the latest and greatest. The plan at that point is that my wife would dump her "dumbphone" and I will transfer my current iPhone to her. My wife anticipates her use of 3G data will be even more minimal than mine, so the $15 plan is right for her as well. That means that come July, instead of having to spend $60/month for two iPhones, we'll spend $30/month for both phones—a total savings of $360/year. Given our modest incomes, this amount is significant.

I appreciate that not everyone is in a similar situation. I'm sure that there are some people who regularly stream over 3 hours of video per month on 3G (the 2GB plan = 200 minutes of YouTube video, AT&T says), and really need that unlimited plan . But for us, AT&T just made us happy.

Orren

Your situation is I'm sure one reason why they're doing it and I'm happy that they're saving money for people. I'm skeptical that I would be one of the savers though. I don't live in a city or frequent many hot spots and I also stream pandora on my phone when I'm in the car as a replacement for the xm that we stopped paying for. Now I don't really know what my usage is, but I imagine that when I go on long car trips and hotel stays that don't offer free wifi I might go over the limit. I can't really say for sure though. Maybe since I am often at home with wireless it isn't something that will be a big deal. It will be a bigger deal if my iPad can't stay connected to our wireless though! Lol.

I will have a chance to test my usage soon, I think. I may be going to the beach for a couple days and they have yet to pay for wireless there (there's an open but spotty network across the street) so I may try out the 3G there and start a netflix free trial while I'm at it. I am planning to only take my iPad and not my laptop as a way to test how it does as a stand alone travel device, so I may as well test everything else out too!

Speaking of crazy, did any of the people who bought an iPad also get the camera kit? I desperately want one, but apparently apple can't produce enough of those (or ipads for that matter) so there are none in stores and a 3-4 week wait on the website. There are the scalpers on amazon and ebay who are selling them for $80-100+!!!! I think I'll wait. :lol:

Your situation is I'm sure one reason why they're doing it and I'm happy that they're saving money for people. I'm skeptical that I would be one of the savers though. I don't live in a city or frequent many hot spots and I also stream pandora on my phone when I'm in the car as a replacement for the xm that we stopped paying for. Now I don't really know what my usage is, but I imagine that when I go on long car trips and hotel stays that don't offer free wifi I might go over the limit. I can't really say for sure though.

Sounds like you use a lot more 3G than I do, definitely. I also use my iPhone for long car trips, but I have about 3GB of my 80GB iTunes collection on my phone, and shuffle play those.

It's easy to find out your usage, however. MacObserver laid it all out:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/che...att_data_usage/

AT&T gives you a six month look at your usage, and you can set up reports to look at even more than that, I believe.

Orren

We managed to get the account unlocked and I checked my usage. I used 85mb last month, but i didn't use pandora in the car much. I think perhaps the new plans would be handy for most months and maybe i would either up the plans or accept the overage fees for the months in which i anticipate heavy usage. I will have to see how getting a netflix account affects things.

As a side note I find it hard to believe that AT&T doesn't offer usage trend charts for the text messages you send. :lol:

Here's hoping it'll end up being a good thing. The pessimist in me is still sulking though, haha.

-Jools

I thought that too, I was thinking "forget the device, it's dolphin communication!"

I wonder if they will make any apps they develop for the dolphins public for the rest of us iPad users to see. If they made a "keep up to date with our dolphin/ipad communication project" app, I'd be inclined to check it out.

Along the lines of dolphin communication, I could imagine the iPad being used for other types of communication that are typically hard to do. Maybe there would be some sort of use for fostering communication with autistic children or as a means to communicate and do other things for those who use text/symbols to speech type programs to communicate.

I have to say that I am extremely keen to see the technology that will be developed for the ipad and as a result of it.

MATH

- Jools

Along the lines of dolphin communication, I could imagine the iPad being used for other types of communication that are typically hard to do. Maybe there would be some sort of use for fostering communication with autistic children or as a means to communicate and do other things for those who use text/symbols to speech type programs to communicate.

The same thing occurred to me. There are two big physical rehab centers in my area and I get newsletters in the mail from both (for reasons relating to my own physical rehabilitation) and both are talking about integrating the iPad into their physical and occupational rehabilitation programs.

I have to say that I am extremely keen to see the technology that will be developed for the ipad and as a result of it.

The more it can do the more they will make it do. Add a camera, speech recognition, eye tracking and who knows what apps will be developed in the future. "Keen" indeed!

MATH

- Jools

:lol: Very clever. Do you think that's why D.A. chose that number?

All hail our future cetacean overlords.

- Thoth

As a side note I find it hard to believe that AT&T doesn't offer usage trend charts for the text messages you send. :lol:

They probably make a ton of money on SMS messages, and want you to keep over extending your limit! :)

The "myWireless" free iPhone app does give you a bar graph of how many SMS messages you've used the current month, but not a trend chart. As crazy as it sounds, both my wife and I have the $5/200 SMS addition...and at times, we've both exceeded our limit. Lots of people communicate with us (and us with them) via text message these days...

Here's hoping it'll end up being a good thing. The pessimist in me is still sulking though, haha.

FWIW, here's a well written rundown of both the good and bad of the new AT&T announcement by John Gruber, who writes the "Daring Fireball" blog: http://daringfireball.net/2010/06/good_and..._att_data_plans

Check out THIS cool article.

Excellent! :D

Orren

Thanks for the article Orren. It was good. I agree with him about the tethering. I think that is the most outrageous thing they're doing in all these changes. If they want someone to pay for tethering they should toss in extra data. They certainly aren't going to reel in all those jail breakers who are currently tethering on the unlimited plans for free. I don't think they'll get the jail breakers once they ditch their grandfathered plans either. They'll just tether for free on the 2g plan and pay for overages. They might get those who don't want to bother with jail breaking though. I would pay for a month of 3G on my iPad before i payed for tethering.

-Jools

My thanks also, Orren. My biggest annoyance was this:

...Why did they change the plans for the iPad so soon after it was announced? What kind of company has a data plan for a flagship product, the iPad 3G...available for just 30 days before changing the terms significantly? The “$30/month for unlimited, cancel or downgrade at any time” deal was a highly touted part of the iPad introduction. $25 for 2 GB isn’t bad at all, but it’s just downright weird for it to change so soon after the iPad 3G went on sale....

Obviously it was to get you buy the product. Perhaps the poor ethics of their actions eluded them.

Another reason I'm glad I didn't spring for the 3G.

(Sorry Jools.)

- Thoth

My one complaint about the ipad so far is that I've had wireless dropping issues, which is surprising to me since I have the 3G so it isn't a signal strength issue. It drops the connection and doesn't rejoin and has asked me to re-input the password, which is really annoying since I have a crazy password that came with our verizon fios (crap) router. Any suggestions are really welcome. Paying for 3G just to have uninterrupted service is pretty tempting, though less so with their stupid new plans.

This is a known issue, although it only affects some iPads—I'm not sure why (non-Apple routers, maybe?). I've been lucky, for example. Apple has promised a firmware fix, but not a schedule for it.

Typing is a bit awkward but i think I'll get used to it. I am impressed by the doubling of the iphone apps on this thing. I'd been told by a friend that it was pretty terrible and pixelated, but I've found that most apps are at least tolerable if not pretty decent. Of course I've found at least one app in which the animations don't work the way they do on the iPhone (finger piano). I have to go through all the iPhone apps on here and pick which ones I want and don't want so I have room. I'll be buying my first paid apps soon. Yay. I am anxiously awaiting 4.0 so I can put apps in folders!

Lots of very good free apps available, too, as well as free books. I love iBooks: it's the first electronic rendition of books that makes me not yearn for the physical version (enough visual cues to fool my brain, I think).

Oh and I agree with Thoth, I wish there were arrow keys too. M, the iPad skin from zagg does seem to help with finger prints as I haven't been really bothered by them. One thing about it though is they got their length measurement about a 1/8-1/4 of an inch too short. I'll be letting them know and we'll see what they say.

-Jools

I got sick of the smudges and ordered a PowerSupport skin (Sir Percy has the iPhone version). Should arrive any day.

I do find it difficult to navigate within e-mail messages and Storyist posts with the iPad. If I start at point X and type, it's okay, but I find it difficult to orient myself for editing. Cursor keys would be nice for that. But I'll get used to it (probably).

Dolphin communication sounds fascinating. Can't wait to check out that link.

Best,

M

The (online) Wall Street Journal (which I read on my iPad) has had two articles already on iPad carry options. For this one, be sure to watch the slideshow. And this one shows a suite pocket for your iPad for the fashionable Wall-Streeter on the go.

What will they think of next?

- Thoth

Very cool. I like the suit jacket one. That would be handy for interviews and having your portfolio handy.

I've decided to try my hand at making a case before I spend $50 for something off etsy/artfire. I have a few favorites, but I've got a sewing machine and fabric, so I might as well give it a try.

What would your ideal iPad case be?

I've decided to try my hand at making a case before I spend $50 for something off etsy/artfire. I have a few favorites, but I've got a sewing machine and fabric, so I might as well give it a try.

You're so crafty! Must be nice.

What would your ideal iPad case be?

For me: A thin, hard case with a sturdy handle that can fold flat. It would have velcro seals for closure. The lid would have two parallel hinges so that it could fold over to form a stand, for horizontal typing, but the lid would also be able to fold over flat so the case could be carried open. Of course the device should be held in place very firmly yet be accessible at all point I might need to access (including the earbud minijack). When closed it should be able to pass for a small black portfolio case.

Beyond that, for the hip crowd (which would not include me), it should come in assorted colors (including the metallic, pastels, tan and camouflage) and textures (including diamond dust, vinyl, denim, leather and fur). And an option for personalization (from photos, fractal equations and any downloadable art). And it should speak Portuguese.

Yes, I've thought about this a bit.

- Thoth

Just found this stylus while surfing (Julia, I think you, in particular, said you wanted a stylus). Haven't tried it, so can't recommend it, but am passing on the information anyway. If anyone buys one (I may try it out myself), please let us know how it works.

Looks as if it may be usable on the iPhone, too. If not, there is a mini-version on the same site. There is also a foldover iPad case, similar to the Apple case except that it folds back vertically to hold the iPad in portrait mode (the case is what drew me to the site in the first place).

best,

M

Just found this stylus while surfing (Julia, I think you, in particular, said you wanted a stylus). Haven't tried it, so can't recommend it, but am passing on the information anyway. If anyone buys one (I may try it out myself), please let us know how it works.

Interesting. It has a lanyard that plugs into the minijack of the iPad so you don't lose the pen.

There is also a foldover iPad case, similar to the Apple case except that it folds back vertically to hold the iPad in portrait mode (the case is what drew me to the site in the first place).

Nice assortment of cases! This is close to my dream case. Although this is good urban camouflage. (Those bubble mailers the Post Office sells for a dollar, and Staples sells for $1.09, could work as well.)

All this stuff will get better with time. I think we've only scratched the surface when it comes to iPad accessories.

- Thoth

Steve just gave his keynote for the WWDC.

Geek that I am, I had a liveblog on my second monitor as I was working. Here's the link (it still works as of now, don't know if they'll take it down later): http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/steve-j...&refresh=60

iPhone 4 looks great. I'll take one.

New iBooks app has some features that have been asked for in this thread:

* PDF Support

* Notes

* Live syncing of books (your own and purchased), bookmarks, place in book, notes, etc. between all iDevices

Not sure when it will be available for iPad, however. Will be on the iPhone June 21st.

I'm currently selling gear so I can buy an iPad. If any of you know anyone who wants any Euphonix music software controllers, let me know. :lol:

Orren

Archived