Storyist Forums

Page Display

Steve E

I have to admit I'm one of those people with less-than-perfect eyesight. To avoid eyestrain I typically view my text window at 200%. This works just fine but it means that much of the time I can't see the page number in the heading. This isn't always a problem but sometimes it is useful to have the page number always present; if I decide to do 10 pages and call it a night it's good to have the number handy. Yes, I know I can convert from word count by estimating words per page (the total word count is displayed at the bottom of the window) but Storyist shouldn't make me do the math (even if I do have a calculator on my Dashboard). Besides, with a lot of terse, snappy dialog, word count is not so easily converted to page count.

I could also quickly flip to 100% zoom and then flip back to 200% but that too interrupts the workflow.

Also, if I've gone back to rework the middle of some text (a common occurrence) it's good to know the total page count and even the Section and Chapter page counts. I'm one of those people who likes to keep all my chapters approximately the same length. (No good reason, I just do. It just feels more organized.)

So, for these reasons I suggest that Storyist display the current page (as determined by the position of the cursor) and total pages at the bottom of the window. (Section and Chapter page counts would be good too but no one else does that so it feels like I'm asking for too much.)

-Thoth.

I have to admit I'm one of those people with less-than-perfect eyesight. To avoid eyestrain I typically view my text window at 200%. This works just fine but it means that much of the time I can't see the page number in the heading. This isn't always a problem but sometimes it is useful to have the page number always present; if I decide to do 10 pages and call it a night it's good to have the number handy. Yes, I know I can convert from word count by estimating words per page (the total word count is displayed at the bottom of the window) but Storyist shouldn't make me do the math (even if I do have a calculator on my Dashboard). Besides, with a lot of terse, snappy dialog, word count is not so easily converted to page count.

I could also quickly flip to 100% zoom and then flip back to 200% but that too interrupts the workflow.

Also, if I've gone back to rework the middle of some text (a common occurrence) it's good to know the total page count and even the Section and Chapter page counts. I'm one of those people who likes to keep all my chapters approximately the same length. (No good reason, I just do. It just feels more organized.)

So, for these reasons I suggest that Storyist display the current page (as determined by the position of the cursor) and total pages at the bottom of the window. (Section and Chapter page counts would be good too but no one else does that so it feels like I'm asking for too much.)

-Thoth.

Good idea. Since the placards at the bottom of the page are prime real estate, and there are other things you'd potentially want to see, I'd probably make that area configurable. You can already remove individual placards by control clicking on the footer.

Other useful information that might be useful:

• Page count. More interesting than word count when you are working on a screenplay.
  • Character count.
  • Progress toward your daily word goal.

-Steve

Other useful information that might be useful:
  • Page count. More interesting than word count when you are working on a screenplay.
  • Character count.
  • Progress toward your daily word goal.

As long as we're making lists, I would also include these other useful counts that might be (ahem) useful:

• Character count with spaces.
  • Character count without spaces.
  • Paragraph count.
  • Paragraph count without blank paragraphs or Chapter name lines or Section name lines counted.
  • Line count.
  • Line count without blank lines or Chapter name lines or Section name lines counted.
  • All of the above but including footnotes and endnotes (when we get footnotes and endnotes).

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Always struggling to be useful.

-Thoth.

Progress toward your daily goal is great. Scrivener has that per section, and you get a bar that tells you graphically how close you are. I find that more intuitive that a number. I want to know I'm getting closer, not necessarily how many words I have left to go. Somehow that's easier on my psyche .

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
I know, I know, dead threads, but how did I not see this!

Yes please on the progress to the daily goal. We writers are not math whizzes. Unless one of us is writing about math. But that doesn't make for a very good story, now does it?

I would like to amend the daily progress meter to have the ability to lie, and grossly underestimate my day's progress. :lol:

IF

I would like to amend the daily progress meter to have the ability to lie, and grossly underestimate my day's progress. :lol:

Kind of like setting your watch ahead a few minutes so you won't be late for meetings. I just used to tell people that the meeting doesn't officially start until I get there. In that vein (sort of) I propose that Steve program the Progress Meter to adjust the story so that it matches the meter. If you've only done 10% then just set the meter to 50% and Storyist will write an additional 40% for you. (Shades of NovaFlow!) You can do that Steve, right?

Asking for the moon,

-Thoth.

Kind of like setting your watch ahead a few minutes so you won't be late for meetings. I just used to tell people that the meeting doesn't officially start until I get there. In that vein (sort of) I propose that Steve program the Progress Meter to adjust the story so that it matches the meter. If you've only done 10% then just set the meter to 50% and Storyist will write an additional 40% for you. (Shades of NovaFlow!) You can do that Steve, right?

Asking for the moon,

-Thoth.

If Steve can't do it, I have a Smurf story generator I can lend to you.

IF

In the interest of keeping the threads from exploding all over the place, I'm going to place a (another!) little request here:

Do you think it's possible, while we're counting everything, to have a running tally of the page numbers that are in a particular section? Something like > Untitled Section (15) maybe?

In the interest of keeping the threads from exploding all over the place, I'm going to place a (another!) little request here:

Do you think it's possible, while we're counting everything, to have a running tally of the page numbers that are in a particular section? Something like > Untitled Section (15) maybe?

Seems feasible. You may have noticed that the Storyboard is already capable of displaying a word count for each Section. Not a running word count and not for Chapter folders. Pity. But it seems simple enough.

Steve? Chime in, if you're not too busy with your NaNaNoNoNeeNee writing. This sounds like something for the short term list.

-Thoth.

No, I didn't know it could display a word count for just a particular section... Where would I find that?

Hi Callista,

It is conveniently buried in the storyboard. :o

1. Click on Sections in the toolbar to bring up the sections storyboard.
  2. Switch to outline mode in the storyboard.
  3. Click on the double arrow (>>) in the corner and select "Word Count".

The word count is now displayed for each section.

Section stats are certainly something that could be added to the placard.

-Steve

Archived