Storyist Forums

print or export the outline

rjh18

Hi Ralph,

Not at present, but both are on the list for a future release. OPML is the leading candidate for the export format. Do you have a preference?

-Steve

As long as word and iworks can read it. When do you think this will be available?

Hi Ralph,

As long as word and iworks can read it.

So RTF then.

When do you think this will be available?

I hesitate to give dates for new features, and it depends partly on interest in the community. I'm going to move this post to the Feature Requests section so more folks can see it an join the discussion.

-Steve

Hi Ralph,

So RTF then.

I hesitate to give dates for new features, and it depends partly on interest in the community. I'm going to move this post to the Feature Requests section so more folks can see it an join the discussion.

-Steve

Strictly a work-around while our fearless developer does his job, but I use the screen capture feature of OS X, first hiding everything in Storyist but the outline (in the hope that it makes the type legible), then using Command-Shift-4 (I think this key combination may have changed in 10.5/10.6) and mousing over the entire outline to capture just that. Command-Shift-3 captures everything on the screen. If the key combinations do something different, you can access the Grab program through the Services menu: Storyist > Services > Grab > Screen (or Selection). You can repeat the selection process as often as needed to capture the entire outline.

Whichever method you use, Grab creates a file on the desktop called, imaginatively, Picture1.png (Picture2.png, etc.). Open that in Preview and print from there. Experiment with portrait vs. landscape mode to see which works best; I usually use landscape. Save the file under a different name if you want to keep it around.

You can't edit it, obviously, but it works to jog the memory while you're doing something else. Same technique works for, say, pictures of character groups or settings.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Ralph.

As M's technique clearly points out, this needs to be a feature. Screen capture, Preview, modify for clarity, and you still wind up with something you can't edit. I'd run the file through my OCR program to get something editable. Too much work for too little payoff.

I vote yea.

- Thoth.

Archived