Storyist Forums

CPR for characters

marguerite

In the "Uncompressed File" thread, Steve wrote: "Regarding getting a character back: Since Storyist does not (yet) have a trash, I've got a folder for characters I "delete" that I use to hold characters I'm not sure about. Same with setting and plot."

Forgive the duplication, but since the site crashed while my last post was uploading and the counter at the top level didn't record the message (although the message itself is there--weird), I thought I'd take the opportunity to start this discussion off on its own thread.

I remember that something like this came up before, but it would be wonderful to be able to cut and paste a character or setting from one file to another. Is this already possible and I've missed it? Is it horrifically complicated to implement?

For example, I'm writing a series. I dithered like crazy about the right setting for vol. 2, and now that I've finally settled the question I have about 3 connected Storyist files, each of which has some features I need. Most annoyingly, I deleted my antagonist from the current file because for a while I planned to save him for vol. 3, but now I need him back. Of course, I can recreate him, but it would be a huge time saver to be able to fire up the vol. 3 (or vol. 1) file and just reimport him. Man is a big enough pain as it is without making me do a whole bunch of retyping.

In the meantime, I'll be adopting Steve's method, but that won't help the antagonist. He still needs CPR! <_>

Best,

Marguerite

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to do a little CPR of my own. On the thread.

Has anyone figured out if a character file can be copied into another manuscript? I have the same problem. I think this is linked into that whole Project > Book One > Book Two thing, instead of each book having it's own file.

Anyone?

I'm going to do a little CPR of my own. On the thread.

Has anyone figured out if a character file can be copied into another manuscript? I have the same problem. I think this is linked into that whole Project > Book One > Book Two thing, instead of each book having it's own file.

Anyone?

I've tried copying sheet data into different Storyist files at the file folder level. I can't get it to work. So far, only a basic textual Copy and Paste will do (but not for links). Check out Isaac's Crossing The Book Boundry thread in this (Feature Requests) forum for further discussion.

-Thoth.

I've tried copying sheet data into different Storyist files at the file folder level. I can't get it to work. So far, only a basic textual Copy and Paste will do (but not for links). Check out Isaac's Crossing The Book Boundry thread in this (Feature Requests) forum for further discussion.

-Thoth.

Steve said it's more complicated than it seems--not impossible, but a significant time investment on his part (see the "Uncompressed Story File" discussion).

You can copy the entire story file and edit it, but unless you're just starting a new project, that's a bigger pain than recreating one character. So it remains on our list of wished-fors.

Marguerite, who revived her antagonist the old-fashioned way, by typing, but has since learned to use the Deleted folder option

• 1 month later...
Already on the list. +1 vote. Thanks Carve.

-Steve

Short of being able to share sheet date between multiple Storyist files, this is a good solution. Make it +2 votes. (But I'd still like to be able to make a change in a sheet and have that change automatically available from every Storyist story to which it is attached. But that's another thread.)

-Thoth.

Archived