Storyist Forums

Julesiz begging and pleading

Joolissa

Okay, I've made my way through what I've missed in this forum, so I thought I'd toss my spare change in the pool:

New Ideas & Zombie-fy-ing some of my old ones:

Ability to work on a selected chapter(s) or section(s) without being able to scroll to other chapters/sections.

• Per chapter/section word count without having to do a bunch of scrolling/highlighting.

•Adding PDFs and dragging in a webpage (links wouldn't be clickable within storyist, but would be nice if they opened default web browser to page) to collections aka having a research collection.

I will beg for the previous 3. PUHLEASE Steve. PUHLEEEAAASSEEEEE!!

•Social integration (twitter, fb, etc) ... e.g. auto tweets of goals or words per hour? that'd be cool.

•Custom Templates for Collections (i seem to remember that this is partly possible? someone refresh my memory) and Collection Specific Templates (i.e if I have multiple character type collections, have one template assigned to one collection and a different one for the other)

•A forum section or website section for template submissions/containment, this would be especially useful if adding templates for characters etc. the way you can for manuscripts become available. It would also be useful so you don't have to go searching around a bunch of different threads to browse the available templates.

•Trash can icon change! to a trash can! (empty/full icon would be really nice too)

Things previously posted I'm Me-too-ing:

Voice Notes

Assigning things to open in specific views

iPhone & iPad App

e-book export

Separate Formatting for Printing

Warning when deleting invisible comments/bookmarks

Customizing font/color/etc. on template sheets etc.

Chapter %:Blahity of Blah Blah Auto Renumbering

Options for Open Recent and Open Last

Outline/Index Card font customization

Page Numbering/Header&Footer Options (not on dedication/copyright etc. etc.)

Custom sound after reaching goal

Full Screen Customizing

Printing index cards, outlines, and single chapters/sections

Visual timelines (the ical idea was interesting, but wouldn't really work for me)

icon customizing

option to eliminate character point assignment

Achievements

Any news on any of those?

- J

•Social integration (twitter, fb, etc) ... e.g. auto tweets of goals or words per hour? that'd be cool.

Do you really want this? I mean, really really?

I ask because while it "sounds" cool, in practice, you may find it's not. I'm inundated with FB and Twitter friends who've signed up on gaming boards, Playstation network, and I get regular "_____ has won a trophy in Gratuitous Violence 3: the disemboweling" and "______ has spent 2.5 hours playing World of Warcraft today" with links on them....I end up hiding their updates in FB because after a while, I just don't care. Also, if you really have a feeling of accomplishment about achieving a goal, don't you want to tell everyone yourself? It's both more personal, and gives you more of a feeling of accomplishment than an auto-notification parameter would. And your friends would be less likely to hide your updates. :D

If you do really want it, that's fine with me of course, I'd just turn it off. I just wanted to bring up the negative, spam-ish aspects of auto-notifying all your social network friends/buddies with details that they haven't asked to be notified about.

Or maybe now that I'm forty, I'm just becoming a curmudgeon. :)

Orren (who just remembered, I've never put any of my social networking info in my sig!)

The new kid has a point, Juliepoo. Several, in fact.

Or maybe now that I'm forty, I'm just becoming a curmudgeon. :)

Hey! Was that a dig at me? :D

Orren (who just remembered, I've never put any of my social networking info in my sig!)

- Thoth (who doesn't post any of his social networking info because of his curmudgeonlyness - I'm also very cuddly-looking in a certain light)

Hey! Was that a dig at me? :D

I've been a curmudgeon long before anyone mentioned you could be, too. :)

And kids, get off my lawn!

Orren (kidless and lawnless—both being subject to change in the future)

That is true... I can see it becoming spammy if there weren't any way to customize it and it just twitted every hour or w/e. My thinking is this:

I am attempting to get an arts biz on it's feet and plug into social networking with it because that's the market right now. I try to link as many of the feeds/sites as possible (aka my twitter is ported to buzz as well as my FB biz page etc. etc.)... being able to publish a writing goal, teaser, cool sentence etc. etc. from within Storyist without having to go open up my browser or another program and get onto twitter would be nice. I am a horrendous social networker, so anything that makes it easier for me is great.

It doesn't need to be auto, having a button I could push and type in a tweet would be splendid. Having the option to auto tweet a specific message (entered in the preferences) when I completed a goal could be handy too, but then again I don't write often enough and don't use goals often enough for my feed to become spam.

But those are just my needs... I can see people wanting more auto tweets, especially if it could be configured to tweet at a #group. I know Calli posts things like "I just typed [some huge quantity of words I'm always jealous of] using Write or Die", which not only is a nice thing for me to read and be motivated by, it's also advertising Write or Die.... think if Storyist could tweet "I just wrote [some huge quantity of words to make everyone jealous] words in an hour using Storyist!"

To some it's spam, to some it's interesting. The ability to have a preference area for customizing how it works and what it tweets for specific things would make it really cool. Such as tweet [#group this message + %goal] when goal is completed etc. etc.

Chirp chirp :D

- Jooli-bird

I try to link as many of the feeds/sites as possible (aka my twitter is ported to buzz as well as my FB biz page etc. etc.)

I have an industrial metal band, and I do the same. I highly recommend http://ping.fm — you can link as many sites as you can; update once, and it spams all!

I am a horrendous social networker, so anything that makes it easier for me is great.

I think you'll find that social networking works best on a smartphone. I have ping.fm's mobile site on my iPhone homepage, it's fast, it's easy, and I can irritate everyone I know at once! :D

think if Storyist could tweet "I just wrote [some huge quantity of words to make everyone jealous] words in an hour using Storyist!"

The question is, how much development effort would it require vs. advertising/attracting customer value. Only Steve can answer that.

It may be the greatest idea since sliced bread, easy to implement, and can triple Storyist's user base in a year. What do I know. :)

Orren

I would really like an overall UI facelift. I'm sure something like that would be low on Steve's priorities but lately I've been frequenting http://beautifulpixels.com and I love how good some apps can look.

Like this app http://www.momentoapp.com is beautiful on an iPhone screen, I'd love Storyist to have a slicker design. Dont get me wrong, function before design always. But improving the looks cant hurt if theres time.

I think you'll find that social networking works best on a smartphone. I have ping.fm's mobile site on my iPhone homepage, it's fast, it's easy, and I can irritate everyone I know at once! :D

Yes. I seem to remember this chapter in Dale Carnegie's self-help bestseller "How to Win Friends and Irritate People".

So you win. You are definitely the more curmudgeonly curmudgeon. :)

As for JulieGee's feature request, yes, it could be awesome for Storyist sales. It is a kind of more authentic advertising. As for myself, I'd keep the feature turned off. If I want to update folks on my awesome word count I can do it in person (if I think they really care, most don't) or in the appropriate forum thread, such as one in the Script Frenzy 2010 forum.

But I can see how it's useful for those who must social network with mad abandon.

***tweet***

- Thoth

I would really like an overall UI facelift....

I'm the last one to talk about not muddying the threads, but the Storyist UI deserves it's own thread in Feature Requests, if you have something specific in mind. Even if you don't, I'm certain Steve would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

- Thoth.

I'm the last one to talk about not muddying the threads, but the Storyist UI deserves it's own thread in Feature Requests, if you have something specific in mind. Even if you don't, I'm certain Steve would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

- Thoth.

I have tons of ideas, I'll post it up there when I'm done.

Yes. I seem to remember this chapter in Dale Carnegie's self-help bestseller "How to Win Friends and Irritate People".

So you win. You are definitely the more curmudgeonly curmudgeon. :D

As for JulieGee's feature request, yes, it could be awesome for Storyist sales. It is a kind of more authentic advertising. As for myself, I'd keep the feature turned off. If I want to update folks on my awesome word count I can do it in person (if I think they really care, most don't) or in the appropriate forum thread, such as one in the Script Frenzy 2010 forum.

But I can see how it's usefully for those who must social network with mad abandon.

***tweet***

- Thoth

Especially when each tweet post etc has

Tweeted from @Storyist

If 1 in 10 say hey, what this software my friend is using and tries it out and 1 outta 100 buys it, that could snowball into a good thing ... maybe.

Okay, I've made my way through what I've missed in this forum, so I thought I'd toss my spare change in the pool.

Any news on any of those?

- J

Hie thee to the beta tester arena, amiga, and check out 2.2. More than that I cannot say. Steve already has a sword dangling over the head of my firstborn (although the way firstborn has been acting lately, that may not be so bad. Don't make me talk, firstborn! :D).

M

w00t! I will be heading into the beta area after I go clean up after some critters since every other thread is now light blue. Yay. Beta beta beta!

Hi Jules,

Looks like the pros and cons of Twitter integration have been adequately represented on both sides. I'll have to think about this one for a little while. ^_^

As for some of your other requests:

* You can get per-section word counts in the outline view. Chapter count totals are on the list.

* The Sharing section is available for template submissions/containment.

* +1 for you for PDF support. Oh wait, you already voted on that one. :P

* +1 for a "narrow the focus" to a section or chapter feature.

-Steve

+1 +all the characters in my head :P

Don't forget it's PDF/Webpage support! Though, I could work around the webpage thing if PDFs were supported (print as PDF). If you remember it was pretty much my last hang-up over Scrivener. Being able to grab a webpage to toss it into my research folder for quick view offline and/or without having to leave the program is something I am still wistfully dreaming about in Storyist. Being able to reference a price list of medieval items or that list and pictures of instruments and jump back to my sentence is quite handy. ^_^

Um, just curious, I could be blind, but where are the section word counts in outline view???

Oh and how should I send my file to you Steve? (another thing I've forgotten how to do)

Um, just curious, I could be blind, but where are the section word counts in outline view???

You can show the word count column using the Columns > Word Count command in the Action (gear) button in the command bar at the bottom of the outline view.

Oh and how should I send my file to you Steve? (another thing I've forgotten how to do)

I'll send you a PM with my email address.

-Steve

Aha! I really must remember to click those little buttons more often. This is nice. I like it and I'll like it even more when there's a chapter word count. Very useful.

I'm still voting for the option to click the word count in the regular writing view and choose between Total, Section, & Chapter though. :P Until then I will use a 3 panel view to keep the word counts viewable when I need them. Yay!!!

Archived