Storyist Forums

Animal Sightings

Steve E

So, I was just watching the news and it seems that there have been a lot of coyote sightings here in NYC. I've heard of the Wolves of Wall Street but now it seems there are the Coyotes of Central Park. This town is going to the Canis. Go figure.

I figured Jules would like this one.

- Thoth

:)

I of course jumped onto this thread the moment I saw it!

Those Coy dogs could be a race from my novel having found a gate in CP to come through. Or perhaps they are Overlady minions coming to hurl Overmuffins at you Thoth! The world may never know. :(

As for animal sightings, we might have had a bear in our back yard a couple nights ago. A summer ago or so I told everyone we had bear scat in the yard, but no one would believe me. Now, a couple nights ago we hear something crashing around in the thicket/woods behind the house and a low growl, we looked with a flashlight, but it was gone. I looked up bear sounds online and it sure sounded like one. I'd love to see the thing...

Those Coy dogs could be a race from my novel having found a gate in CP to come through. Or perhaps they are Overlady minions coming to hurl Overmuffins at you Thoth! The world may never know. :)

Could be aliens. But seriously, the way development is expanding around here (and everywhere) the furry folk are going to run out of places to live. Around here (NE Bronx) we get birds (ducks, swans and lots of geese) and the occasional mammal (feral cats and dogs, rabbits and other rodents, skunks and at least four colors of squirrels) but it's still mostly just us humans.

As for animal sightings, we might have had a bear in our back yard a couple nights ago. A summer ago or so I told everyone we had bear scat in the yard, but no one would believe me. Now, a couple nights ago we hear something crashing around in the thicket/woods behind the house and a low growl, we looked with a flashlight, but it was gone. I looked up bear sounds online and it sure sounded like one. I'd love to see the thing...

Scat in the yard? I thought that it was canon: the Pope is Catholic and bears "scat" in the woods.

- Thoth.

Scat in the yard? I thought that it was canon: the Pope is Catholic and bears "scat" in the woods.

- Thoth.

Huh?? :)

Confuzled

- J

Huh?? :)

Confuzled

- J

It's the verbose equivalent of "duh": Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear s**t in the woods?

Your yard isn't in the woods, right? So it could not, perforce, be bear scat.

Which begs the question; How is it that you can identify bear scat? I mean, does it look all that different than wolf droppings? Could it have come from a mink with a hearty appetite? Does it smell different? These and similar questions weigh heavily on my mind.

And enquiring minds want to know.

- Thoth.

Ooooh...... well yes.. they do... but we don't actually have "woods" in the backyard... we have a smattering of trees between properties... here's a shot from Google maps of my house ... it's a pretty old picture at that... there are even less trees now. A is my house. So... the fact that there's probably a bear wandering around this area is a bit surprising, though there are more woods across the street and a little ways away. There was a nice bit of woods and field at the end of the street, but that got developed. :)

As for the identification of scat... you can find anything online, plus, when trying to identify what critters have been around your house, scat is a typical way, along with tracks and sightings. And to the differences... yes.. there are plenty... think of the differences between a rabbit and a dog. A bear is a big plop, a fox more similar to a cat, but with lots of fur in it. On and on it goes... Here's a site for it:

http://icwdm.org/Inspection/droppingfeces.asp

...the fact that there's probably a bear wandering around this area is a bit surprising...

A little. But not as surprising as coyotes wandering around NYC. I should mention that there is a HUGE preserve just across the Hutchinson River from my house. It is part of an area called Pelham Bay Park. There are all manner of wild things there but unless they can fly or swim they tend to stay out of my neighborhood.

As for the identification of scat...

Thanks for the link. I'm almost embarrassed over how interesting I find this.

TTFN Julibear.

- Thoth.

Welcome to the world of animal identification! Now you can figure out if it was the neighborhood cat or a sneaky coyote that was on your lawn last night.

They can swim too

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2969933156573038316#

-Julibear

Welcome to the world of animal identification! Now you can figure out if it was the neighborhood cat or a sneaky coyote that was on your lawn last night.

Might make an interesting character: a detective with a super sense of smell.

Was that coyote swimming underwater part of the way? We may have to put up a fence. Nah. It would ruin the view.

-Thoth-o-rama.

I think Psych (tv show) beat you to the punch with the Detective who smells real well... but I'm sure we could do better. The Psych guy is really the side-kick anyhow.

It might have been, or maybe just had its nose above water... kinda hard to tell

Getting to be Julzzzz with lots of Zzzzzz

I think Psych (tv show) beat you to the punch with the Detective who smells real well... but I'm sure we could do better. The Psych guy is really the side-kick anyhow.

There was also a TV show called The Sentinel about a guy with hyperactive senses.

Getting to be Julzzzz with lots of Zzzzzz

Sleep tight and pleasant dreams, sweet shotgun-toting fairy princess.

- T

Archived