Storyist Forums

Info Resources

Joolissa

Hey

So, since you've all got me thinking of this Frenzy thing, I've been looking into what exactly a script is and how to go about it... I thought I'd share what I've found so far.

http://www.screenwriting.info/

Has good info about what exactly a script is and how to go about formatting/writing it. It was very helpful and informed me beyond what I'd need for SF.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/snazzy/dircut.html

Has actual movie scripts. It's the one recommended by SF's site.

I'm currently reading the script for The Time Traveler's Wife. It's interesting to see how very different it is from the actual film so far, but it is informative as far as learning what's in a script and what isn't goes.

I'll post more if I find anything else. Anyone have a resource to add?

Hasn't committed yet... or is that been committed yet?

- Jools

Hey

So, since you've all got me thinking of this Frenzy thing, I've been looking into what exactly a script is and how to go about it... I thought I'd share what I've found so far.

http://www.screenwriting.info/

Has good info about what exactly a script is and how to go about formatting/writing it. It was very helpful and informed me beyond what I'd need for SF.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/snazzy/dircut.html

Has actual movie scripts. It's the one recommended by SF's site.

I'm currently reading the script for The Time Traveler's Wife. It's interesting to see how very different it is from the actual film so far, but it is informative as far as learning what's in a script and what isn't goes.

I'll post more if I find anything else. Anyone have a resource to add?

Hasn't committed yet... or is that been committed yet?

- Jools

I'm trying to switch my brain from the episodic writing of a novel to the mish mash, anything goes of a movie script.

I heard director Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980) "complain" in an old interview (Alfred Hitchcock - A retrospective, replayed for PBS) that, "Everyone comes to the movie set with their own vision. The writer has a vision. The director has a vision. The actor has a vision. Sometimes the producers and grips have visions. Only the director's vision counts." The grips many disagree.

- Thoth.

I'll be borrowing the TTW book from the library soon, but i looked through the beginning at the bookstore today and the script is much closer to the book, at least far as the beginning goes. What's interesting is that I like the beginning in the movie much better.

The same goes for The Lovely Bones, I much prefer the beginning of the movie to the book. I'll be reading the whole thing, and I'm going to try to read the script if I can. I've heard people have criticized the movie for not including the actual murder etc. scene, but having read the scene and seen the way the director handle it in the movie... I am much more impressed by the movie's handling of it. Which, is interesting, as I'm generally on the side of the book. I'll have to read it through and see.

This could become my new favorite thing... reading the book and script and watching the movie, then comparing the three.

I'm still trying to think of an idea for script frenzy. What planning do you guys do before hand? Do you plan everything? Only some things? Or just wing it?

bookstores make you remember how much you love books.... and remind your wallet why you should stay out of the book stores =P

-J

I'll be borrowing the TTW book from the library soon, but i looked through the beginning at the bookstore today and the script is much closer to the book, at least far as the beginning goes. What's interesting is that I like the beginning in the movie much better.

The same goes for The Lovely Bones, I much prefer the beginning of the movie to the book. I'll be reading the whole thing, and I'm going to try to read the script if I can. I've heard people have criticized the movie for not including the actual murder etc. scene, but having read the scene and seen the way the director handle it in the movie... I am much more impressed by the movie's handling of it. Which, is interesting, as I'm generally on the side of the book. I'll have to read it through and see.

This could become my new favorite thing... reading the book and script and watching the movie, then comparing the three.

I'm still trying to think of an idea for script frenzy. What planning do you guys do before hand? Do you plan everything? Only some things? Or just wing it?

bookstores make you remember how much you love books.... and remind your wallet why you should stay out of the book stores =P

-J

Deeply planning, have 5 pages of all the locations, characters and the 15 point list I posted elsewhere, filled in with some things I want to happen. But when I write that will all be off the cuff. I only plan the skeleton.

Since I have so much time I plotted the whole thing out but probably will change my mind about it as I write. Further, I did a lot of research about alcoholics, Marines, strippers and fairies. You would be amazed at how much the Internet has on fairies. I also did some research to find out how many shells the shortest legal pump shotgun can carry: three 3"-shells, including one in the chamber. I just mention that because it took me a while to pin it down. I also found out some darkly interesting things about Pittsburgh. Prep-work can be fun. :)

Since I have so much time I plotted the whole thing out but probably will change my mind about it as I write. Further, I did a lot of research about alcoholics, Marines, strippers and fairies. You would be amazed at how much the Internet has on fairies. I also did some research to find out how many shells the shortest legal pump shotgun can carry: three 3"-shells, including one in the chamber. I just mention that because it took me a while to pin it down. I also found out some darkly interesting things about Pittsburgh. Prep-work can be fun. :)

I wanna start writing, RIGHT NOW!

Hey when writing the descriptive parts of a scene, like whats happening or describing a scene, do you always write in present tense?

Depends.

Johnny

(to himself)

What the gosh darn heck is

going on in this here place?

He looks in the cage (present tense) and sees that it had died (past tense) of what will be (future tense).

Johnny (Cont'd)

Yeesh. I'm outta here.

Just do what makes sense.

- Thoth.

From what I've read what you wouldn't do is write "He looked into the cage and saw that it had died"

Newbie as well.

- Julesity Jules Jules (that was my name to a 4 year old.. unfortunately I think he's grown out of it now)

From what I've read what you wouldn't do is write "He looked into the cage and saw that it had died"

Why not?

Jules-Jules Bo-Bools, Banana-Fanna Fo Fools, Me My Mo Mules...Jules. That's what Shirley Ellis (The Name Game) would call you.

- Thoth

Oh my.... that sounds .... very interesting... Shotguns, Faeries, and Pittsburgh are very close to home though... I'm not putting in a Cameo as a shotgun wielding Faerie from Pittsburgh am I? I think I read something about an anthropomorphic mouse somewhere too....

I am curious about those darkly interesting things about Pittsburgh........ do tell?

- Curiosity hasn't yet killed the Jules

Why not?

To quote the page on Script Frenzy (and I believe it's also in the website I posted)

2) Action. This describes what is happening on the screen, and which characters (if any) are involved. It looks like this:

INT. DONALD'S MANSION - BILLIARDS ROOM - NIGHT

Beatrice picks her way through the ransacked room. Cue sticks, books, papers—everything has been searched. She stoops to pick up a photo of a young boy.

With a few exceptions we'll talk about later, Action follows standard rules of capitalization. It's single-spaced and always in present tense. (If the action happened in the past, the Slugline will tell us this. Thanks, Slugline.)

Also, you always need some Action after a Slugline, even it's only a single line.

- Jules-Jules Bo-Bools, Banana-Fanna Fo Fools, Me My Mo Mules...Jules

(I am now singing that in my head..... thanks)

Thoth-Thoth Bo-Both, Banana-Fanna Fo Foth, Me My Mo Moth.... Thoth (Not fair you get an animal in your song and I don't!)

I'm not putting in a Cameo as a shotgun wielding Faerie from Pittsburgh am I?

Sorry. No.

I think I read something about an anthropomorphic mouse somewhere too....

You're thinking of my NaNo book. I used everybody's name. (Poor Calli. I turned her into the demon goddess Kali.) The Frenzy script will be Forum free. Sorry to disappoint.

I am curious about those darkly interesting things about Pittsburgh........ do tell?

I'll give you a taste: warehouses leased out as Raves because the warehouse district is unpopulated, un-patrolled, and whatever happens there stays there. Talk about a no-man's zone. But a good place for trolls.

I've said too much already. Shh.

- Thoth.

To quote the page on Script Frenzy (and I believe it's also in the website I posted)

Thanks. I'll remember that,

- Jules-Jules Bo-Bools, Banana-Fanna Fo Fools, Me My Mo Mules...Jules

(I am now singing that in my head..... thanks)

You're welcome. Mwahahahahaha!

Thoth-Thoth Bo-Both, Banana-Fanna Fo Foth, Me My Mo Moth.... Thoth (Not fair you get an animal in your song and I don't!)

You get a mule. Multiple mules! I just get a single crumby moth.

Banana-Fanna? Deep inner meaning?

- Thoth.

I might have to think up something to do with a shotgun wielding faerie........ hmm

Is that NaNo book up for reads anywhere? Or is it locked in a safe amidst lazer triggered alarms and booby traps?

Shushing

- Jules

Oh yea.... I read it as mools and not Mules, so hence I missed it. Moths are still prettier than Mules, well, a lot of them anyway. I am stubborn though. Are you implying that you're crumby?

- J

I might have to think up something to do with a shotgun wielding faerie........ hmm

Should I call my lawyers? I hold the universal copyright on shotgun wielding faeries.

Is that NaNo book up for reads anywhere? Or is it locked in a safe amidst lazer triggered alarms and booby traps?

Laser alarms. Microwave personnel deterrents. Giant flying piranha. Zombies. Oh yes. Zombies. Gotta have zombies.

- Thoth.

Oh yea.... I read it as mools and not Mules, so hence I missed it. Moths are still prettier than Mules, well, a lot of them anyway. I am stubborn though. Are you implying that you're crumby?

- J

No. I'm implying that moths are, well, a lot of them anyway.

- T

Should I call my lawyers? I hold the universal copyright on shotgun wielding faeries.

Weren't you the one that posted the quote about how great writers steal?

Laser alarms. Microwave personnel deterrents. Giant flying piranha. Zombies. Oh yes. Zombies. Gotta have zombies.

- Thoth.

Bring em on!

-Julesia, Safe Raider

Weren't you the one that posted the quote about how great writers steal?

I didn't say I invented shotgun wielding faeries. I just said I held the universal copyright on them. No fairy can wield a shotgun in my universe without paying me royalties.

Bring em on!

-Julesia, Safe Raider

My zombies love the taste of Safe Raiders, Tomb Raiders, and Rave Raiders. Oh, let's face it. They just like to eat human flesh.

Zombie Master

- Thoth

I didn't say I invented shotgun wielding faeries. I just said I held the universal copyright on them. No fairy can wield a shotgun in my universe without paying me royalties.

I suppose I'll just have to put them in my universe then. :P

My zombies love the taste of Safe Raiders, Tomb Raiders, and Rave Raiders. Oh, let's face it. They just like to eat human flesh.

Zombie Master

- Thoth

:lol:

Archived