Storyist Forums

Found This Online - Helping me to plot out my movie.

PROJECT TITLE:

GENRE:

DATE:

1. Opening Image (1):

2. Theme Stated (5):

3. Set-Up (1-10):

4. Catalyst (12):

5. Debate (12-25):

6. Break into Two (25)

7. B Story (30):

8. Fun and Games (30-55):

9. Midpoint (55):

10. Bad Guys Close In (55-75):

11. All Is Lost (75):

12. Dark Night of the Soul (75-85):

13. Break into Three (85):

14. Finale (85-110):

15. Final Image (110):

Are the numbers in parenthesis page numbers?

E.g. The Finale runs from page 85 to page 110?

And what does "13. Break into Three" mean?

Good question haha

http://www.blakesnyder.com/tools/

I'm kinda doing my own interpretation. But it's working I have almost the whole movie mapped out.

BTW - Is it really bad if I start today, I'm rearing to go lol.

I saw that too. The Beat Sheet. It's listed on the SF website. Here's the Beat Sheet for UP, which helped me understand what a Beat Sheet is. It might explain the "Break into [number]" for you Thoth

http://www.blakesnyder.com/2010/02/19/stc-beats-out-up/

They have a few more on there too.

Trying to think up something to beat...

-- Juels

Are the numbers in parenthesis page numbers?

E.g. The Finale runs from page 85 to page 110?

And what does "13. Break into Three" mean?

The transition to Act III. And yes, they are page numbers (approximate) to give you a sense of how long each act needs to be.

I must admit to being a bit confused when I read "Break into Two," but when we got to "Break into Three," I got it. :)

Best,

M

BTW - Is it really bad if I start today, I'm rearing to go lol.

Yes TAS. It's really really bad. It will haunt you for the rest of your life and you will die miserable and alone, agonizing over why you didn't have the will power to wait just a few more days. On a more practical note, waiting makes the start all the more sweet.

- Thoth of the Powerful Will.

The transition to Act III. And yes, they are page numbers (approximate) to give you a sense of how long each act needs to be.

I must admit to being a bit confused when I read "Break into Two," but when we got to "Break into Three," I got it. :)

Best,

M

Thanks M. I didn't get it because...I think I was thinking "screen play". This Three Act Play business is for...well...stage plays, not screen plays. Not that it isn't fine to do a stage play for The Frenzy (Storyist has a template for that too) but I'm definitely thinking "movie" for my frenzied script.

Breaking into his Fourth Act.

- Thoth.

Thanks M. I didn't get it because...I think I was thinking "screen play". This Three Act Play business is for...well...stage plays, not screen plays. Not that it isn't fine to do a stage play for The Frenzy (Storyist has a template for that too) but I'm definitely thinking "movie" for my frenzied script.

Breaking into his Fourth Act.

- Thoth.

It refers to the Three-Act Structure, which applies to screenplays too (even though you don't call them Act I, Act II, and Act III in the screenplay itself, you can still structure your outline that way).

Basic idea is that Act I is your character's ordinary world and lasts for about the first quarter of the 100-page script. In the last few pages of Act I something happens to turn your protagonist's original goal into a new goal that will further promote his/her character development. That new goal pushes the character into Act II, which lasts about twice as long as the other two acts. In Act II you pass through the midpoint and the low point, where it looks as if the protagonist will fail. As the protagonist rallies, you transition into Act III, which is the resolution and lasts 15-20 pages (i.e., minutes, on the theory that each page represents about a minute of screen time). Act III establishes the new equilibrium that marks the end of the story.

You can find out more details in any of the writing structure books listed elsewhere, but don't get hung up on the individual stages. Some people give seven, some twelve, some twenty-two, etc. Vogler's The Writer's Journey is probably the most succinct encapsulation of the idea, but I don't remember whether he talks about the Three-Act Structure per se. The main point is to have a beginning, a middle, and an end, with the middle being longer than the setup and the resolution. Surprise! :)

M

Thanks for the info M! The ends... that's what I always have trouble with... I get lots of beginnings, and some middles, but almost no ends.... I think I'll try to check out those books in the next day or two.

-Julie-jewels

Very nice. I love the (what seems like from your screen shot) play on words of your Character named Phil Harmonic . My parents took me to a lot of Philharmonic concerts way back when.

Very nice. I love the (what seems like from your screen shot) play on words of your Character named Phil Harmonic . My parents took me to a lot of Philharmonic concerts way back when.

I used to be a Hip Hop artist, that was my stage name. This movie is based on my life.

Archived