Storyist Forums

If I want the camera or something else to happen on screen post filming

Is that Taboo and only for the director to do? What if I have a clear vision of what I want? How would I add this.

The effect in question is I want a quick zoom on a face then text on screen labeling the person. Then a zoom to my main character with more text labeling him.

Name

Profession

then

Name

His Profession

Websites are going to be a large part of my script with my main character visiting several at once, several times in the movie. These are not really a scene change but site changes. How do you think I should format this?

Sorry for all the questions but Scripts are far weirder than novels.

Ask all the questions you want! That's one reason I like this place.

As for the camera angles, what I've read is that unless absolutely necessary (and if so, don't do it often), you should leave them out if you want to sell your script. Directors will want to do things the way they want to do things. The website I posted recommended leaving them out, and then after someone wants to buy it, try to negotiate yourself on as director. Now, how feasible that really is....

In the same way, what I've read said to leave out most Parentheticals as well; at least the ones that describe how the lines are to be said. Most actors don't want to be told how to say their lines, so unless it's absolutely necessary, don't toss in a bunch of (Muttering) etc. Other Parentheticals noting who someone is talking to or if things are continuing or what ever else they do are find though.

The website also warned about text over the picture, but I've seen it used effectively. I think it depends a lot on the style of the movie.

As for the background music, I would leave that out completely in your script. Again, I think that's something left for other versions of it (shoot script, etc.) as well as up to the director.

This is what I've read in my research, I am just as new as you, add a few grains of salt to all that.

Now, since this is Script Frenzy and you can do what ever the heck you like, including be the director if you want to. I say put everything in you want to! If you really want to sell it, you can do more research as to what people want in it or don't want in it and clean things up in a re-write/next draft.

Oh, and as for the website changes, personally I would do that in the actions. For example

SCENE HEADING

Bob views website X and talks to Jane about his troubles

Bob

yadayada blah blah blah

Jane

blah blah blah

Bob navigates to website Z

Bob

blah blah blah

Of course if there is a scene change in there as well, you will probably need a separate scene heading.

Oh, and as for the website changes, personally I would do that in the actions. For example

SCENE HEADING

Bob views website X and talks to Jane about his troubles

Bob

yadayada blah blah blah

Jane

blah blah blah

Bob navigates to website Z

Bob

blah blah blah

Of course if there is a scene change in there as well, you will probably need a separate scene heading.

What about:

He then clicks a link for the Google Chrome icon which open a web browser.

He types in arstechnica.com.

He reads various technology and computer related articles.

He types in facebook.com.

I'd take out the "then" and make it "He clicks", but it's action and present tense so I think it works!

Hurrah for Chrome!

Trying out linking my plot points to Scene Headers I've created quite a few new ones but when I go to the plot point, r click unassigned under section sheet to try and assign the polot point to a Scene header, I'm getting the original ones that came with the script template, not the new ones I created in the main script. Help.

When you deleted the stuff from the original Script Template, did you empty the trash? If they're still in the trash, they still exist in the project, like little trashcan zombies.

When you deleted the stuff from the original Script Template, did you empty the trash? If they're still in the trash, they still exist in the project, like little trashcan zombies.

I did but it still brings them and my new Screen Header are still not available.

EDIT: Hmm wait there are still 6 Scene headers and only 2 Scene Sheets, why is that? Doesn't it create a scene sheet every time you create a Scene header? I am manually adding Scene sheets but am I gonna have to manually add one for each Scene header?

Now, since this is Script Frenzy and you can do what ever the heck you like, including be the director if you want to. I say put everything in you want to! If you really want to sell it, you can do more research as to what people want in it or don't want in it and clean things up in a re-write/next draft.

I think JG makes a good point.

Do what feels right, TAS.

I know I will.

- T

EDIT: Hmm wait there are still 6 Scene headers and only 2 Scene Sheets, why is that? Doesn't it create a scene sheet every time you create a Scene header? I am manually adding Scene sheets but am I gonna have to manually add one for each Scene header?

1. Go to "SCENE SHEETS" in the Project View and ctl-click.

2. Choose Edit "My Script" Preferences..."

3. Check the check box for "Sheet Handling: Create sheets automatically".

This won't restore missing sheets but should automatically create Screen Sheets from this point on.

- Thoth.

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I would say that there probably aren't rules set in stone for that yet.

Here's a few articles I found on google about it:

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/...cles/39794.aspx

• http://forum.indymogul.com/showthread.php?t=17867 (this is about a text message, but it says Insert: Text message. I assume the same could be used for a Im convo, if you just want the convo to be shown on the screen.)

• http://www.filmscriptwriting.com/formattin...icdialogue.html (this one's pretty nice. It covers computer, TV, and Phone)

There's probably more out there if none of those suit your tastes, but those should get you started. Someone else on here might have more of an idea as well.

Good luck!

- Jules

Archived