Storyist Forums

+ Button

Joolissa

Hey

So, I was playing around in templates and I noticed that when I had my manuscript (or script, etc.) highlighted in the project pane and then hit the plus button in the command bar at the bottom of the project pane, that instead of creating a new scene/chapter/etc. it jumped down to the notebook and made a new notebook entry. This seems counterintuitive for me. I would expect to have a new chapter/scene created when pushing + with my manu/script highlighted. Especially, when no other collection does this.

Also, I noticed that when any one of the collection titles is highlighted pushing + created a group, not a sheet/note/etc. This also happened, in a way, when highlighting a group of something (characters, notes, etc.) pushing the + created another group, nested within the first. I can understand why it does this, but I'd really appreciate the option to set it to "create group" or "create sheet".

I realize there are shortcuts, but I've had an aversion to short cuts. I'll end up using them in Storyist, but I'd like to have the options. Especially the first part, because it just confused me the first time it happened.

=D

- Joules

I'd really appreciate the option to set [the + button] to "create group" or "create sheet".

Sounds like a great request!

I would just add that if my manuscript is selected, I would like an option for the + button to create a new chapter in the same manuscript. It can just be given a generic title (e.g. "CHAPTER TITLE") or it could be a "Smart title" in that if it detects numbered chapters, it could continue the numbering (e.g. "CHAPTER 3").

Thanks,

Orren

I would just add that if my manuscript is selected, I would like an option for the + button to create a new chapter in the same manuscript. It can just be given a generic title (e.g. "CHAPTER TITLE") or it could be a "Smart title" in that if it detects numbered chapters, it could continue the numbering (e.g. "CHAPTER 3").

That is exactly what I was trying to say in my first paragraph. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough. Yay for people who can state things more clearly! :lol:

That is exactly what I was trying to say in my first paragraph. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough. Yay for people who can state things more clearly! :lol:

That's how the + button used to work in version 1. But then people complained because they would hit + looking for a new chapter and get a section. I think it can do only one thing, although you might check to see if Option-+ gives you a different result (I don't have Storyist open at present and can't check).

Best,

M

That's how the + button used to work in version 1. But then people complained because they would hit + looking for a new chapter and get a section. I think it can do only one thing, although you might check to see if Option-+ gives you a different result (I don't have Storyist open at present and can't check).

Best,

M

I'm confused. It is only doing one thing, depending on what's selected. If you have the manuscript collection selected it makes a group in your manuscript collection, if you have a chapter selected it makes a new section in that chapter, but if you have your manuscript (outline level 1) selected it makes a notebook entry?

The other groups work as expected, if you have a collection title selected it makes a group (I'd rather it made a sheet for the section, but I can live with a group) and if you have a sheet in the collection selected it makes another sheet. Pushing + in any other collection makes something inside itself, the Manuscript collection is the only exception to this, so it seems more like a bug than a feature. Maybe it's just me though. (Opt-+ doesn't do anything different)

:lol:

- Jools

Yay! It's not just me! :P

:lol:

BTW, I think this happens because a manuscript is just a notebook with certain specific settings, so it does have a certain bizarre logic (if you are a computer and not a person), but I agree that it should nevertheless be fixed.

When you and I are both at Seton Hall calling up Storyist on our free iPads, we can use Mail to bombard Steve with messages about this. Oh wait, it costs about 1/10th of a single class's tuition to buy our own iPads, and no homework either! :lol:

Best,

M

BTW, I think this happens because a manuscript is just a notebook with certain specific settings, so it does have a certain bizarre logic (if you are a computer and not a person), but I agree that it should nevertheless be fixed.

Wait a sec. Software developers are people too! :lol:

When you and I are both at Seton Hall calling up Storyist on our free iPads, we can use Mail to bombard Steve with messages about this. Oh wait, it costs about 1/10th of a single class's tuition to buy our own iPads, and no homework either! :lol:

Darn! I knew there'd be a catch.

TANSTAAFL ... or iPad.

- Thoth

Wait a sec. Software developers are people too! :lol:

I am assuming that it merely escaped the software developer's attention, which was, no doubt, consumed by the unremitting demands of beta testers. :P

Darn! I knew there'd be a catch.

TANSTAAFL ... or iPad.

- Thoth

There's always something. :lol:

Peace,

M

:lol: Once we get our iPads, we'll have to develop an Overmuffin Throwing app.

But alas, what does the Great Steve have to say (when he gets a moment away from slaving over the code to appease us users) about our + button?

- Jools

Archived