Storyist Forums

And They're Off !

Steve E

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am happy to say I have just hit 100 pages, 4 of which were fluff to get there lol.

Congratulation. And you still have plenty of time left to fix the fluff.

As for myself, I did a major tweak that is slowing me down.

- Thoth.

Just crossed 100 pages! (Actually 101, but the last page is notes for scenes yet to be.)

Glasses of over-champagne all round! :P

And thanks, Thoth and Steve, for talking me into this. It's been a lot of fun, highly educational, and will, I hope, help me nail that ending in due course.

Best,

M

Just crossed 100 pages! (Actually 101, but the last page is notes for scenes yet to be.)

And thanks, Thoth and Steve, for talking me into this. It's been a lot of fun, highly educational, and will, I hope, help me nail that ending in due course.

Best,

M

WOO HOO, congrats!!!!!!

Best,

M

Congratulations!

Any writing experience you can learn from is a good one.

Enjoy! And thanks for the champagne.

GLUG-GLUG

- Thoth

Okay. Because it's my birthday I pushed myself extra hard today and hit 100 pages. The only problem is that, according to my outline, I'm only two-thirds the way through. I think I'm going to need another 50 pages to finish this magnum opus. But I'm going to have to put it away for now. Got folks coming over to do the birthday thing. ***HUZZAH***

Another year closer to my eternal rest. <_<

- Thoth.

Okay. Because it's my birthday I pushed myself extra hard today and hit 100 pages. The only problem is that, according to my outline, I'm only two-thirds the way through. I think I'm going to need another 50 pages to finish this magnum opus. But I'm going to have to put it away for now. Got folks coming over to do the birthday thing. ***HUZZAH***

Another year closer to my eternal rest. <_<

- Thoth.

Wow 150 pages, that's long.

Wow 150 pages, that's long.

James Cameron's script for Avatar ran 151 pages. Its runtime was 2 hours and 42 minutes! So, yes, it's long — major motion picture long. I guess this is what happens when you try your hand at being a plotter rather than a pantser.

And by the way, for those of you still interested, according to Cameron's script Jake's eyes do open immediately before they cut to black. I missed that.

- Thoth.

I swear, I posted my happy birthday message (in Milestones) before I read this post....

A banner day, all told. Have fun with your friends. Hope I sent enough over-cake. :D

M

It was a wonderful party, M.

The champagne and over-cake were delicious. Many thanks. <_<

- Thoth.

It was a wonderful party, M.

The champagne and over-cake were delicious. Many thanks. <_>

- Thoth.

You're most welcome. 56? You're nowt but a babby, as my relatives would say. :D

Just scrambled my 105 pages and created the PDF for validation next Sunday and am planning out my big confrontation scene for the ending. Script Frenzy may make a plotter out of me yet. :D

Seriously, I think I will try this screenplay to novel approach again. It's very helpful in picking up plot problems before they become so wrapped in verbal fabric that they become impossible to see, never mind remove.

M

You're most welcome. 56? You're nowt but a babby, as my relatives would say. :D

Some of mine too, oddly enough. Of course, for all I know, we have some of the same relatives (Adam & Eve? Noah?). Maybe it's how we'll make ourselves feel younger when we're their age.

Honestly, I think writing makes me feel like a kid, sometimes. :D

Just scrambled my 105 pages and created the PDF for validation next Sunday and am planning out my big confrontation scene for the ending. Script Frenzy may make a plotter out of me yet. <_<

Plotting makes me write longer scenes/chapters, which surprised me. But I still tend to change my mind halfway through and tweak things. At heart, I still think I'm a pantser. And I'm going to try to finish the whole thing before the 25th. All 150 pages! I'm pretty sure I can do it: I have the confidence of youth! :)

Seriously, I think I will try this screenplay to novel approach again. It's very helpful in picking up plot problems before they become so wrapped in verbal fabric that they become impossible to see, never mind remove.

Agreed. I think I'm going to try it too. Pity there isn't a screenplay-to-novel button in Storyist (hint hint Steve).

- Thoth

Some of mine too, oddly enough. Of course, for all I know, we have some of the same relatives (Adam & Eve? Noah?). Maybe it's how we'll make ourselves feel younger when we're their age.

Honestly, I think writing makes me feel like a kid, sometimes. :D

Plotting makes me write longer scenes/chapters, which surprised me. But I still tend to change my mind halfway through and tweak things. At heart, I still think I'm a pantser. And I'm going to try to finish the whole thing before the 25th. All 150 pages! I'm pretty sure I can do it: I have the confidence of youth! :)

Agreed. I think I'm going to try it too. Pity there isn't a screenplay-to-novel button in Storyist (hint hint Steve).

- Thoth

Yes, me too—both the feeling like a kid (in a good way :)) and the changing my mind. This is the closest I ever came to being a plotter, and I have to say it worked in ways I didn't expect, but I just totally re-conceived my ending while I was in the middle of writing it. One of my characters spouted something I had no idea he was going to say, and that set off another idea, and then another one, and I ended up with something I like tons better than my original scheme but had no clue at 4 pm today that I was going to write. So I think once a Pantser, always a Pantser (a Pantser in Plotter's clothing?). <_>

My relatives include Vikings and Celts, neither of whom could stay put in one place for more than about five minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised if we did turn out to be family. Go back twenty or so generations, and that's a whole lot of relatives to account for.

Aw, my 162nd cousin lives in da Bronx. Who knew?! :D

You wrote 100 pages in 15/16 days. Of course, you can write 50 pages in 7 days!

Best,

M

I too am going to be converting my movie into a novel. Isn't it normally supposed to be done in reverse? <_<

Weird, isn't it? But consider Star Trek. First a TV show, then a movie, then a cartoon series, and then a series of books (including comics). It's all about expanding the franchise: direction doesn't matter. Maybe you'll turn your poem/novel into a rap song.

- Thoth

Weird, isn't it? But consider Star Trek. First a TV show, then a movie, then a cartoon series, and then a series of books (including comics). It's all about expanding the franchise: direction doesn't matter. Maybe you'll turn your poem/novel into a rap song.

- Thoth

Nah but that Wey of Fey is kind of a merge.

I think it's cool Storyists are so far ahead of the curve.

... One of my characters spouted something I had no idea he was going to say, and that set off another idea, and then another one, and I ended up with something I like tons better than my original scheme...

I love it when that happens. The characters take on a life of their own in my head, for a while. I don't know how healthy that is but I wish I had a way of turning it on and off at will.

My relatives include Vikings and Celts, neither of whom could stay put in one place for more than about five minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised if we did turn out to be family. Go back twenty or so generations, and that's a whole lot of relatives to account for.

I can't break it down into tribes but my euro-relatives are English, Danish, French, German, Russian and Lithuanian. I also have an uncle and some cousins living in Puerto Rico (the cousins were born there). This uncle married a lot so I have non-blood relatives in Kenya, Brazil, Japan (and for all I know on Vulcan). So my being your 162nd cousin (who lives in Da Glorious Bronx) is not completely out of the question. <_<

She never calls, she never visits, but she writes often.

- Thoth

I love it when that happens. The characters take on a life of their own in my head, for a while. I don't know how healthy that is but I wish I had a way of turning it on and off at will.

Yes, me too. It has been one of the best parts of Script Frenzy, because it seems to happen most often when I write every day, which I have been doing because of the deadline. It's like tapping directly into the Universal Consciousness, pompous as that sounds.

I can't break it down into tribes but my euro-relatives are English, Danish, French, German, Russian and Lithuanian. I also have an uncle and some cousins living in Puerto Rico (the cousins were born there). This uncle married a lot so I have non-blood relatives in Kenya, Brazil, Japan (and for all I know on Vulcan). So my being your 162nd cousin (who lives in Da Glorious Bronx) is not completely out of the question. <_>

One of my ancestors ran off to Russia and started a clan there. Lots of Scots went to Russia (and just about everywhere else), including the great-great granddaddy of the poet Lermontov, so you never know.

She never calls, she never visits, but she writes often.

- Thoth

:D

M

The script for Avatar came in at 151 pages. I know it's not a contest but, with a little effort, I'm pretty sure I can beat James Cameron's record.

Woot. Woot.

- Grand Master T.

Yes, but can your script's plot be broken down to this?

Pocahontas-to-Avatar.jpg

:)

- J

Archived