Storyist Forums

And They're Off !

Steve E

It is an idiom, but you're right. It's something people say when you've done a good job (plural, in this case).

What makes it awkward to translate is that molodets is a noun used in a context where English would supply a verb or adjectival phrase, plus there is not much connection between the meaning of the word (from "molodoi," young) and the way it is used. So its literal meaning is something like "youngster," but its actual meaning is closer to "way to go."

And now you know. :lol:

Got your file, TAS. I'll get it back to you when I can. The iPad is fine, but not for editing....

M

Hey whenever. :)

And I learned something new.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is an idiom, but you're right. It's something people say when you've done a good job (plural, in this case).

What makes it awkward to translate is that molodets is a noun used in a context where English would supply a verb or adjectival phrase, plus there is not much connection between the meaning of the word (from "molodoi," young) and the way it is used. So its literal meaning is something like "youngster," but its actual meaning is closer to "way to go."

And now you know. :lol:

Спасибо. Like they say on School House Rock (?) "The more your know, the less you don't know." Or something like that.

- T

Just checked.

Steve (Storyist) is up to 82 pages. :P

Calli (astillac) is still at zero. :P

The Frenzy cools down in another day.

I'm expecting huge last-minute page updates from both of you.

Keep on scripting!

- Thoth

54 minutes (EST) until the FADE OUT and the news isn't good. Steve (Storyist) is still stuck at 82 pages and Cali (astillac) is still a no-show. Furthermore, The Frenzy's 21,142 writers have produced only 349,289 pages of script ourput. That averages to about 16-an-a-half script pages per writer per month.

Too bad they're not all using Storyist.

And...it's over.

A big success it was not but it had value for me.

The stats:

2010 Frenzy Writers: 21,152 writers!

2010 Total Page Count: 349,289 pages!

2010 Average Page Count: 16.5 pages per writer!

We'll see how things go at Nano.

- Thoth.

Only 16.5 average? I'd like to see that average redone with all the people who only signed up but didn't write anything taken out.

- Jools

Only 16.5 average? I'd like to see that average redone with all the people who only signed up but didn't write anything taken out.

Me too, Jools. Me too.

But I understand how life can get in the way of what you want to do.

Look at poor Steve. We harassed him so much that he fell short by only 18 pages. That's almost nothing in script format.

But, as you know, the real problem isn't writing but knowing what to write.

Constantly being pulled out of writing mode can drain your creative mojo. So I feel at least partly responsible.

(BTW: It was Steve to talked me into NaNo last year, even though I was loaded up with work in November.)

- Thoth

Last minute update.

2010 Frenzy Writers: 21,169 writers! (some signed up at the last moment and dumped their pages into the totals)

2010 Total Page Count: 373,906 pages!

2010 Average Page Count: 17.663 pages per writer!

A little better.

- Thoth

Well, you wrote 152 of those pages, I wrote 130, TAS accounted for 100 (including fluff, but 96 without the fluff—nothing to sneer at), and Steve a whopping 82, despite fending off nudgy beta testers and needy new users and putting out a release version at the same time. So we individually exceeded the SF average by at least a factor of five. (We owe our success to Storyist, of course.)

Speaking of which, three cheers for Steve, who didn't get the rush of the winner's badge but who nonetheless wrote an 82-page script.

Hip, hip, hooray!

Hip, hip, hooray!

Hip, hip, hooray!

Glad I got that off my chest. :)

M

Well, you wrote 152 of those pages, I wrote 130, TAS accounted for 100 (including fluff, but 96 without the fluff—nothing to sneer at), and Steve a whopping 82, despite fending off nudgy beta testers and needy new users and putting out a release version at the same time. So we individually exceeded the SF average by at least a factor of five. (We owe our success to Storyist, of course.)

You're right, M. That is the best way to look at it. And as Jools pointed out, the average writer's page count would be much higher if we factor out those who signed up but wouldn't or couldn't participate.

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but in New York every waiter, doorman and messenger has a script to slip over the transom. It makes me wonder why Script Frenzy didn't have more participants.

Oh well.

- Thoth

Hi Callista.

Missed you.

What happened?

No Frenzy?

(You should probably answer there.)

- Thoth.

Heya! Yeah, no Frenzy. :D I started on the first and failed on the first. I just couldn't get my head around how to write a script. I've been sketching out a graphic novel in a way that works for me (drawing the pictures, scribbling notes), and I've got almost 100 pages.

Hi, Calli, welcome back!

I think graphic novels "count" as far as Script Frenzy is concerned. Comic books certainly do. Maybe look into that next year?

Glad to hear you're being so productive. We've missed you!

(You know how out of hand Thoth gets without several EAOs to hurl overmuffins at him!) :D

M

Calli! Absolutely comics count!

So you did make 100 pages (knew that you could).

At Script Frenzy's Writer's Resources they list:

SCREENPLAYS

• Introduction to Screenwriting

• Screenplay Formatting Overview

STAGE PLAYS

• Introduction to Stage plays

• Stage Play Formatting Overview

TV SCRIPTS

• Introduction to TV Scripts

• TV Script Formatting Overview

COMIC BOOKS

• Introduction to Comic Books

• Comic Book Formatting Overview

And they handily help explain the formats. I found this (along with Steve's screenplay format) very useful. This was a great learning experience for me and I'm a little sad that I couldn't share it with you. But I'm glad to hear that you wrote a hundred pages of graphic novel. Very cool.

Out of hand.

- Thoth

I learned a lot too even though I didn't participate this year. It was fun learning and thinking about scripts though!

- Joules

It makes you wonder how TV shows write their 60 minutes of script (sans commercials) each and every week. Well, actually, I do know: They have tons of writers all working at once.

Yet, while many programs seem to have a crystalline coherency (e.g., The West Wing), others feel like someone's stream of consciousness, with little coherence at all (Lost). It's just a matter of taste, I suppose.

Yep. It does make you think.

- Thoth

• 4 weeks later...

The Script Frenzy web page notes: "It was an incredible Script Frenzy 2010! 2,083 people crossed the finish line and a grand total of 373,906 pages were penned in April."

I think it's worth noting that one person, isabella-rayne, wrote a 934-page script! Second place goes to wallscribbler, with a mere 500 pages!

In any event, here is the latest, and I assume last, revision.

2010 Frenzy Writers: 21,551 writers!

2010 Total Page Count: 373,906 pages!

2010 Average Page Count: 17.35 pages per writer!

2010 Winners: 2,083. (I.e., 2083 writers wrote 100 pages or more.)

2010 Page Count/Winners: 179.5 pages per writer. (Which, after looking over the winner's list, sounds about right.)

So it would seem that hundreds of thousands of people signed up but did little or nothing.

Let's hope they made a donation.

- Thoth

Archived