Storyist Forums

Any chance at all of an iPad app?

happyslayer

Oh yes, we are wailing and have been wailing.. even those of us who don't have an iPad yet. Haha.

M, couldn't transferring files work like the Stanza app does? I don't think you've used it unless they've got one for iPad, but on the iPhone, you just go into the "download books" section and if you have Stanza Desktop open (with sharing enabled), it finds it wirelessly and you can pull a file from your computer that way. I can imagine a Storyist App doing the same thing.

I would also think emailing the file could work as well, the same way http://www.jokeandbiagio.com/how-to-write-...lay-on-the-ipad their template works. Though, maybe that's reserved for Apple Apps only?

Lots of other apps can email backups and restore your backed up data via the web without going through iTunes. I think that could work for a Storyist app, unless going through iTunes would be easier (though I can't imagine it would be.)

- Jules

Update: I dumped cranky Mobile Document Viewer and replaced it with GoodReader for 99 cents. The reason why this information is on topic is that GoodReader is not an Apple app. The program still has some glitches, but even so, it can read e-mailed files and, the developers say, transfer files via iTunes. Where Mail used to say "Open in Pages," it now says "Open with ..." Click on the button and I have a choice of programs. So there is no reason a Storyist app could not do the same. The Stanza option could be good, too; I just don't have an intuitive sense of how that works, let alone the programming issues involved.

Best,

Marguerite

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to hear that non-Apple apps can handle attachments.. now I'd like to know if you don't use Mail, can you still get your attachments through Safari or mail apps like iGmail. I'll find out sometime soon I guess!

I'd like to see an in-app option like Stanza, just because it doesn't require going to email on your computer, then on your device, then going to the app. I'd rather stay within the app itself. Then again, both options could be nice, because the Stanza option requires you to be at your computer at the time of transfer, which is quick and great when you are, but the emailing option would be handy for when you wouldn't have both with you right at that second.

- J

I'm glad to hear that non-Apple apps can handle attachments.. now I'd like to know if you don't use Mail, can you still get your attachments through Safari or mail apps like iGmail. I'll find out sometime soon I guess!

I'd like to see an in-app option like Stanza, just because it doesn't require going to email on your computer, then on your device, then going to the app. I'd rather stay within the app itself. Then again, both options could be nice, because the Stanza option requires you to be at your computer at the time of transfer, which is quick and great when you are, but the emailing option would be handy for when you wouldn't have both with you right at that second.

- J

Gmail has reportedly produced an iPad-specific upgrade, but I don't know what that means, as I use Mail primarily. To transfer files to the iPad (and remember, like everyone else, I've had only two weeks to work with it, so this is not the last word, by any means), I use one of two methods. If I have the iPad connected to my computer, for recharging or backup, then it's simplest to go through iTunes. If it's not connected, I e-mail the file to myself via Mail and open it from there. So long as I can do one of those, I'm happy.

The WiFi option, I think, was supposed to be a third option: a way to transfer files from the computer to the iPad without them needing to be connected. Which makes sense if you know exactly what the settings should be but in the absence of comprehensible instructions just didn't work. It also requires the computer half to be on and not sleeping, which mine is only when I'm sitting at it. If I have to leave the living room and go wake up the computer, then I might just as well connect the cable to the iPad and use option 1 (iTunes).

But maybe Steve will find a fourth option that works even better! :P

M

• 3 months later...

I would really be interested in a Storyist app. I am finding the iPad a dream to use and I take it with me everywhere, unlike my Macbook pro.

There are a number of apps which have similar aspects: Corkulous is one great example where pictures and notes can be attached to a cork board.

I also like how the ereader apps like kindle and other apps like drop box auto update- so there could be a seamless movement from iPad to Mac.

I could see how easily a Storyist app could fit on my iPad- I can't wait!! Any chance of an eta?

Thanks

Hi Delta_Dephei,

I would really be interested in a Storyist app. I am finding the iPad a dream to use and I take it with me everywhere, unlike my Macbook pro.

There are a number of apps which have similar aspects: Corkulous is one great example where pictures and notes can be attached to a cork board.

I also like how the ereader apps like kindle and other apps like drop box auto update- so there could be a seamless movement from iPad to Mac.

I could see how easily a Storyist app could fit on my iPad- I can't wait!! Any chance of an eta?

Thanks for the vote. There isn't an eta at this point. It is still officially somewhat of a research project.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

There is also an app called Manuscript, which is closer to Storyist in that it supposedly does outlining and text. I haven't used it. I'm waiting for our favorite developer to throw his hat into the ring. :)

Might be worth checking out as competition, though, Steve.

Best,

Marguerite

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought an iPad >.>

I've used Manuscript on my iPhone and while its pretty nice, it's not complete enough for me. auteureist actually has more features and is a better organized app for writing (and the dev is working out the iPad ui still).

What I'm using now is Notebooks. manuscript for iPad is $10 so that is a no go when it doesn't do all i need heh. notebooks is $9 but here is why I'm using it (of course I'd drop it like a bad habit for a Storyist app lol). You can make a nice, unlimited hierarchy. First folder is Books. Inside that are the actual book folders. Then inside each book is a folder for characters, research, settings, plot ideas, notebooks, etc. Inside my chapter folders lie all the scenes.

A quick sync with MobileMe (or other WebDAV) and I have a bunch of txt files i can copy/paste back into Storyist. It's not perfect, and while I'd consider killing someone for Steve if he makes a Storyist app that say, syncs over Bonjour and/or DropBox, it's the amount of organization i can do that makes this work for me (for now), and I can quickly switch between these folders. It's almost like having a one pane Storyist or Scrivener.

Since I don't use my MacBook for writing music anymore while I work on my novel, I could absolutely see myself just toting around my iPad with Storyist on board if it were available. I was once against the iPad, but i can type surprisingly quick on this thing, with high accuracy and not even looking at it. My MacBook only weighs 4.5lbs but this thing is lighter by three :-D

Hi Kris.

If I haven't said it already: Welcome to the Forum.

I'm glad you're enjoying your iPad. I noticed your wrote:

I was once against the iPad, but i can type surprisingly quick on this thing, with high accuracy and not even looking at it.

How? I'm a touch typist but I barely fumble along on the iPad's touch-screen keyboard. Are you talking about typing on the regular keyboard that comes optional with the iPad?

..., and while I'd consider killing someone for Steve if he makes a Storyist app that say, syncs over Bonjour and/or DropBox,...

Shh. Not so loud. Your secret decoder ring is in the mail.

- Thoth

Hi Kris.

How? I'm a touch typist but I barely fumble along on the iPad's touch-screen keyboard. Are you talking about typing on the regular keyboard that comes optional with the iPad?

- Thoth

Obviously, Kris is another slender-fingered witch. I can type pretty fast on it, too, so long as I prop it up in its little case. I use the stylus or the hunt/peck method only when the cat objects to becoming an iPad stand.

Welcome to the Forums, Kris, especially if you are going to pressure Steve for an iPad app. :)

Marguerite

Obviously, Kris is another slender-fingered witch. I can type pretty fast on it, too, so long as I prop it up in its little case. I use the stylus or the hunt/peck method only when the cat objects to becoming an iPad stand.

Hmm. It may be time to go to the pet store and get me a genetically altered puddy-cat with a built in iPod stand. I hear Steve Jobs is breeding them in Cupertino. Of course, mine would need a more agreeable disposition.

:)

-Thoth

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah, I forget about the possibility of a keyboard a lot so I didn't think to mention it. I haven't purchased the external keyboard, this is just using the the iPad in landscape with the Apple case propping it up. I've been testing lately and shocked myself that I could type on a touch screen keyboard without looking at it. Although I often do the same thing on my iPhone with my thumbs so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. :D It just seems like one shouldn't be able to.

Welcome to the Forums, Kris, especially if you are going to pressure Steve for an iPad app. :)

Marguerite

I don't have fat fingers, that's for sure. Not really slender, either, but I suppose playing guitar has made them quite nimble and they don't need to be chaperoned with my eyes, either, LOL.

I still dont have an iPad but here is a nice looking, pure writing app.

http://beautifulpixels.com/ipad/writer/

http://www.informationarchitects.jp/en/writer-for-ipad/

Also not sure if you saw but, Pages now syncs to your iDisk, seems real nice.

I saw ai writer, and from it's description it seems like another of the growing number of "simple writing" apps. And those are fine, some people just want words and text. But how many do we need lol? How simple can such an app get? :) I need to stay organized, and I'm looking to downsize the gear I lug around everywhere. I was planning on a 15" MacBook Pro, but when it comes down to it, if I can go with an iPad and an iMac or something at home, I'll be a happy guy.

For now, Notebooks and MobileMe work for me, though it's definitely not ideal. But I do have a book hierarchy built out that follow's Storyist's sidebar conventions (Character, Plot, Chapters/Scenes, etc).

For now, Notebooks and MobileMe work for me, though it's definitely not ideal. But I do have a book hierarchy built out that follow's Storyist's sidebar conventions (Character, Plot, Chapters/Scenes, etc).

Sounds interesting. Please amplify. You have an app named Notebooks and have set it up to replicate the Storyist hierarchy?

I agree on the simple writing apps. I bought My Writing Nook, just to see what it was like, but its only advantage over Pages, other than its being blessedly free of the insane Pages navigational system, seems to be that it stores multiple documents in a sidebar. Not really worth $5. Index Card shows some promise, but a Storyist app would be better. :)

Best,

M

EDIT: I see you amplified earlier. Oops! Still, I'd be interested in hearing more about how well this works for you. Does the convenience of editing on the iPad make up for the inconvenience of exporting and importing text files?

I still dont have an iPad but here is a nice looking, pure writing app.

http://beautifulpixels.com/ipad/writer/

http://www.informationarchitects.jp/en/writer-for-ipad/

Also not sure if you saw but, Pages now syncs to your iDisk, seems real nice.

Ah. More simple writing apps. They look neat enough. But I'm not so sure I agree about the Bordeaux. (Everything about the Garonne River is magic.)

Sadly, I do not number myself among the nimble-fingered virtual-keyboard users on the forum, so the iPad will always remain in second (third, fourth, fifth...) place behind my ergonomically configured desktop non-virtual keyboard for text entry.

Still, I wouldn't mind a Storyist app for the iPad.

Forever fat fingered (er...of manly digits...ah...big boned?)

-Thoth

Sounds interesting. Please amplify. You have an app named Notebooks and have set it up to replicate the Storyist hierarchy?

I agree on the simple writing apps. I bought My Writing Nook, just to see what it was like, but its only advantage over Pages, other than its being blessedly free of the insane Pages navigational system, seems to be that it stores multiple documents in a sidebar. Not really worth $5. Index Card shows some promise, but a Storyist app would be better. :)

Best,

M

EDIT: I see you amplified earlier. Oops! Still, I'd be interested in hearing more about how well this works for you. Does the convenience of editing on the iPad make up for the inconvenience of exporting and importing text files?

I have it like this:

Book Title

FFS I can't edit the post above, it keeps throwing an error saying it can't find it.

Sounds interesting. Please amplify. You have an app named Notebooks and have set it up to replicate the Storyist hierarchy?<BR><BR>I agree on the simple writing apps. I bought My Writing Nook, just to see what it was like, but its only advantage over Pages, other than its being blessedly free of the insane Pages navigational system, seems to be that it stores multiple documents in a sidebar. Not really worth $5. Index Card shows some promise, but a Storyist app would be better.

Best, M

I have it like this:

Book Title

.........Chapters

.................Chapter One

..............................Scene 1

..............................Scene 2

.........Characters

.................Character A

.................Character B

.........Notebook

.................Notebook Entry A

.................Notebook Entry B

.........Plot

You get the idea. The bold words are "books" in Notebooks parlance (folders), the rest are "notes" (and they are stored on MobileMe as folders and txt files, respectively). Considering I carry around about 6lbs of stuff less than I used to, I'm enoying the convenience of using the iPad. I'll give myself a month or so to see, and may wind up getting an iMac or Mac Mini or something as my next desktop computer instead of the 15" Macbook Pro I've been eyeing (which adds a pound over my 13.3"). I used to think the 3lb difference between the iPad and Macbook 13.3" aluminum was not much at all, but I want to replace my backpack with a smaller iPad-friendly one, not to mention the power supply and external drive I carry around for the MacBook. It certainly beats writing on my iPhone or Sharp Zaurus, though the iPhone is a bit easier to sneak out at work :)

**edited to undo the cluster of crap bestowed by the board's copy all command when it hosed the post the first time**

As for switching between the two, it's not idea, but it does work. But if I ever do a lot of edits to some sections and add new stuff, etc and don't keep notes as to what all I did, it could be quite cumbersome =/ I'd much rather be able to type away on my iPad and either:

1. edit the Storyist file as-is and store it on DropBox like I do now on the MacBook.

or

2. the changes are sync'd over Bonjour as soon as I'm in wifi range of my apartment/Mac.

There really should be a way of deleting duplicate posts.

=/ I never even got to actually POST anything. All those must have been from when it kept telling me there was an error and it couldn't find it. Thanks invisionzone. :)

[Edit: I removed the duplicate posts. -Steve]

=/ I never even got to actually POST anything. All those must have been from when it kept telling me there was an error and it couldn't find it. Thanks invisionzone. :)

You might want to get a PM off to our Mighty Forum Admin (Steve) about this.

(Invisionzone is far less responsive to us lesser mortals.)

- Thoth

Lol hooray!

I have yet to determine if i want to try and return this Apple case or not. It seems pretty cheap, though I love the convenience of having a built-in stand.

But anyway, I noticed the dev of Auteureist posted on his posterous that he'll be selling a separate iPad appnfor $20.

I'd pay at least that for a good Storyist app :-D. Assuming Steve can even find the time for iOS >.>

I have yet to determine if i want to try and return this Apple case or not. It seems pretty cheap, though I love the convenience of having a built-in stand.

You could do what M does and use a cat, or some other pet. (Goldfish not recommended. They squish too easily.)

But anyway, I noticed the dev of Auteureist posted on his posterous that he'll be selling a separate iPad appnfor $20.

I'd pay at least that for a good Storyist app :-D. Assuming Steve can even find the time for iOS >.>

I think Steve is seriously thinking about an iOS Storyist app. I'm sure there are a lot of factors we don't even know about.

Time for another poll, Steve?

-Thoth.

I got bored. MSPaint was handy. So I found a screenshot of Notebooks and pasted a landscape keyboard and Storyist's base UI on top of it :)

StoryistOniPad1.jpg

Really, though, I want to do a mockup that shows the UI with the manuscript and say, index cards, and then the left toolbar/sidebar is accessed to pop up via a button. There's no real need to see it all the time, imo.

Of course this is all just for fun, no idea what Steve has in mind. As long as it looked/felt familiar and right, I'd go with it :)

Archived