Storyist Forums

Any chance at all of an iPad app?

happyslayer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got bored. MSPaint was handy. So I found a screenshot of Notebooks and pasted a landscape keyboard and Storyist's base UI on top of it

Great mockup Kris. (You should get bored more often. It brings out the graphic artist in you.)

Really, though, I want to do a mockup that shows the UI with the manuscript and say, index cards, and then the left toolbar/sidebar is accessed to pop up via a button. There's no real need to see it all the time, imo.

That configuration (except for the button) is already available in Storyist. Play around a bit. Perhaps you'll be inspired to do another mockup.

Of course this is all just for fun, no idea what Steve has in mind. As long as it looked/felt familiar and right, I'd go with it :)

None of us really know what goes on in that magnificent mental maelstrom we call "Steve's Mind" (unless he tells us; probably should have thrown in "mysterious" but I like to keep to the Rule Of Three when it comes to alliteration) so please feel free to keep mockuping* away.

- Thoth

*Not a word but should be.

Sadly, I do not number myself among the nimble-fingered virtual-keyboard users on the forum, so the iPad will always remain in second (third, fourth, fifth...) place behind my ergonomically configured desktop non-virtual keyboard for text entry.

Forever fat fingered (er...of manly digits...ah...big boned?)

-Thoth

Thoth, maybe this article about the latest case/keyboard option for iPad will interest you. Seems a bit pricey, but no doubt the cost will come down as the imitators get into the market. It's a clamshell case, which I also think you mentioned preferring to the Apple version.

Does raise the question of why one wouldn't just buy a netbook, but I suppose this way you can pull the iPad out when not typing and use it to read on the couch or watch video, thus retaining the coolness and convenience factors.

Best,

M

Thoth, maybe this article about the latest case/keyboard option for iPad will interest you. Seems a bit pricey, but no doubt the cost will come down as the imitators get into the market. It's a clamshell case, which I also think you mentioned preferring to the Apple version.

Does raise the question of why one wouldn't just buy a netbook, but I suppose this way you can pull the iPad out when not typing and use it to read on the couch or watch video, thus retaining the coolness and convenience factors.

Best,

M

Hmm. $129 + keyboard + iPad to make an iPad look like a laptop. And I don't even get to use my beloved ergonomic keyboard, just the scrunchy little keyboard Apple currently sells for the iPad :) I could do as well with some well placed duct tape. (You can do anything with duct tape.) No. My iPad remains primarily a cool & convenient output device. I don't regret buying it but it still has a ways to go to be a good input device (for me, anyway).

Still fumble-fingered,

-Thoth

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the request and the encouragement. As I posted in the Announcements sections today, the iPad version is a go. You'll find some more information here. It won't be out in the App Store 'till the new year, but if you're a Storyist customer and are interested in beta testing, send me a PM.

-Steve

Thanks Steve. An iOS version will make a wonderful addition to the Storyist family of products. (Two can be a family. So can one.)

I'm curious about two things, though.

1. I've always seen iOS as still in its infancy. Sure, it does plenty but it's no Mac OS X. I can't help but think that's where Apple is heading with iOS. Or perhaps, at some point, the two operating systems will converge. In any case, iOS will, I think, continue to evolve. Are you ready, willing and able to evolve Storyist for iPad with it? And can Storyist for iPhone be far behind?

2. "Due to Apple's restrictions, I can authorize a maximum of 100 beta testers, so first dibs go to existing Storyist customers." That seems like an odd restriction. Why does Apple care how many beta testers you authorize? Are you giving out free iPads or something? And is that 100 total or just for the iPad version?

Just curious.

-Thoth

Hi TAS,

One thing I'd like to say Steve is please really think about making an "iPad" version, not convert Storyist to iPad. And by that I mean really think out an entirely touch based interface and way of doing things. :)

Perhaps this post will put your mind at rest. :lol:

-Steve

Thanks Steve. An iOS version will make a wonderful addition to the Storyist family of products. (Two can be a family. So can one.)

I'm curious about two things, though.

1. I've always seen iOS as still in its infancy. Sure, it does plenty but it's no Mac OS X. I can't help but think that's where Apple is heading with iOS. Or perhaps, at some point, the two operating systems will converge. In any case, iOS will, I think, continue to evolve. Are you ready, willing and able to evolve Storyist for iPad with it?

I didn't make the decision to green-light the iPad version lightly. There is a lot more risk in developing for iPad, the biggest risk being that I may work for months only to have Apple reject the app. They recently published their app review guidelines, which helped tipped the scales, but still, they can reject an app if they don't like it for any reason.

2. "Due to Apple's restrictions, I can authorize a maximum of 100 beta testers, so first dibs go to existing Storyist customers." That seems like an odd restriction. Why does Apple care how many beta testers you authorize? Are you giving out free iPads or something? And is that 100 total or just for the iPad version?

There is no difference between distributing an application for testing and, well, distributing an application. Hence the limit.

As a member of the iPhone Developer Program you are assigned 100 device "slots," allowing you to add up to 100 devices in the iPhone Program Portal in a membership year. Adding a device registers it to be used for developing and testing apps, or for sharing your app with other users via Ad Hoc Distribution. If you reach the 100-device limit and wish to add more, you can remove devices you are no longer using when your new membership year begins. At that time, you can remove as many devices as you like and then recycle those slots for new devices.

-Steve

... They recently published their app review guidelines, which helped tipped the scales, but still, they can reject an app if they don't like it for any reason.

Like, for example, they think it would compete too successfully with Pages? It's hard being a developer.

There is no difference between distributing an application for testing and, well, distributing an application. Hence the limit.

Hence? I read the Guide but I still don't see the connection. Is it that they normally get a piece of the action when distributing through iTunes?

And what about us 10.4.11/G5 users who can't connect our iPads to iTunes through our iMac computers? (Normally I download apps via my iPad's WiFi link to the Internet. Can it work the same way as a tester?)

Questions, questions.

-Thoth

BTW: Last time I checked your PM inbox was full.

Like, for example, they think it would compete too successfully with Pages? It's hard being a developer.

Hopefully, they wouldn't reject the app for that reason. You guys would make a fuss, right? :lol:

Hence? I read the Guide but I still don't see the connection.

Ad-hoc distribution.

Is it that they normally get a piece of the action when distributing through iTunes?

More or less. Apple wants to control what is allowed to run on the platform. For instance, if they reject an app, they don't want the developer distributing it via ad-hoc methods to skirt their controls.

And what about us 10.4.11/G5 users who can't connect our iPads to iTunes through our iMac computers? (Normally I download apps via my iPad's WiFi link to the Internet. Can it work the same way as a tester?)

Unfortunately, no. You'll need to connect to iTunes.

I'll post more info for beta testers early next week.

-Steve

Hopefully, they wouldn't reject the app for that reason. You guys would make a fuss, right? :lol:

Damn straight, pilgrim.

...Apple wants to control what is allowed to run on the platform. For instance, if they reject an app, they don't want the developer distributing it via ad-hoc methods to skirt their controls.

***sigh***

...You'll need to connect to iTunes.

Again, ***sigh*** But there may be a way around this. After all, I have downloaded books and apps to my iPad.

We'll chat more then.

-Thoth

I still dont have an iPad but here is a nice looking pure writing app... Writer

I've tried several simple text writing apps on my iPad.

Simplenote - This was my preferred app. Ironically I'd just upgraded to the Premium version and then discovered Writer. Oh well! I'll keep a copy stored inside iTunes for testing the built-in sync feature in Scrivener 2.0 when that arrives, but for now it's deleted from my iPad.

TaskPaper - Still like to use it occasionally for generating simple outlines. Although when OmniOutliner for iPad arrives TaskPaper will probably drop off.

PlainText - Recently tried this one. Nice design, but I prefer Writer so PlainText has disappeared from the iPad.

Writer - My new preferred app. Love the design, the typography (font type, text size, leading and whitespace), and what they've done with the keyboard extension (word back/forward, character back/forward, and common punctuation). I immediately wrote them to request a version with built-in screenplay formatting and import/export of the .fdx file format. But since the concept of Writer seems to be 'formatting features free' I won't hold my breath.

Of course now that we have the forthcoming Storyist iPad app I can relax.

Hopefully, they wouldn't reject the app for that reason. You guys would make a fuss, right? :)

-Steve

Very big fuss. And you of all people know how unbearably we can whine when the occasion calls for it. :lol:

Looking forward to the more info.

Typing from my iPad, which has a big smiley face on it now. :)

M

I can't imagine they'd reject Storyist (baring crashing in their labs, but that's temporary). They've let so many other writing apps, outlining apps, office apps, etc. :lol:

Truth is, 100 external tester slots sounds fair. I've never been on a beta team with that many people. I've been on two sequencer beta teams that had both Mac and Windows flavors, and there were still never more than 80 testers. Really, how many do you need? At a certain point, you'll end up with dozens of testers who never file a bug, and a few who are always filing such esoteric bugs that nobody every runs into them ("If you hit these three buttons at once while skydiving as soon as you hit the water and plunge to a depth of 100 feet all your data is erased...right before you implode"...)

Can't wait for Storyist for iPad! :)

Orren

I can't imagine they'd reject Storyist...

"We have too may writing apps already. So many choices will make our customers' heads explode. Statistic prove that our headless customers buy fewer of our products. So QED baby. Q. E. Frickin' D"

"If you hit these three buttons at once while skydiving as soon as you hit the water and plunge to a depth of 100 feet all your data is erased...right before you implode"

OMG! :lol: I was going to try that this weekend!

Seriously, I think the most likely scenario is that a lot of different testers will report the same bugs. Steve had once-upon-a-time told us that he didn't mind this because it sometimes gave him additional clues to the problem. (Of course, some of us feel reluctant to report other people's bugs. We kind of "own" our bugs and it feels like poaching, or coming in second. Weird, I know.)

Can't wait for Storyist for iPad! :)

Yeah. I hope to be bleeding-edge again by then.

Here's to a whoppingly successful Beta Test.

-Thoth.

I agree with TAS: an iPad forum, or at least a separate feature request thread for the iPad app (which you could start, if you like, TAS, without waiting for Steve: just click "New Topic" at the top right corner), would be appropriate.

I mention starting a new thread because the app will initially be in beta testing; and much of the discussion, including bug reports, will be kept inside the beta area. So a whole new forum may not be appropriate until the app goes into general release. But there is nothing to stop you listing feature requests as they come up.

Best,

M

Archived