Storyist Forums

Thoughts on Flash (i-thingie related)

orrenm

I don't suppose you have a link to Adobe's counter arguments?

This article was Job's counter arguments to a month of various Adobe criticisms. You can Google those. As for a specific point-for-point refutation from Adobe, this article was just published today, so none exists.

Orren

This article was Job's counter arguments to a month of various Adobe criticisms. You can Google those. As for a specific point-for-point refutation from Adobe, this article was just published today, so none exists.

Just asking.

- Thoth.

I thought Jobs's arguments made a lot of sense. Have I just been drinking too much Apple Koolaid? :P

Apple Koolaid. Yum.

The gist of Adobe's refutation is simply that Apple is lying (about flash power consumption, etcetera) and dissembling. This is a difficult position to take since things like flash power consumption are testable by third parties.

For those who have been waiting, the iPad 3G arrives today.

Yep. Got the e-mail from Apple. But I don't think I'm going to buy another iPad. (Not for a while, anyway. :P )

- Thoth.

I thought Jobs's arguments made a lot of sense.

I agree. And I'd been hearing many of those same arguments from other developer friends of mine as well, so I think he's speaking for many outside of Apple as well.

Orren

Personally I think there's a lot of BS on both sides. I'm sure Flash has a lot of problems and what's his head Adobe Guy did a good job of dancing around addressing those things, but I agree with him on the fact that developing once and putting things on multiple platforms is great and that's how it should be. I think Apple is doing everything it possible to keep developers and users locked into apple, not to mention there's no competition. I'd love to see multiple app stores compete with each other and for developers. I think Apple is too controlling. If there was an alternative to the iTunes App Store & Apple's developer contracts, I think a lot of developers would jump ship with Apple's store.

I'm not saying Adobe is any better either. I've heard you guys complain about their agreements and costs and such and it's true. I just wish it was about making the best the device that was the most useful to the consumer and not about how much money a company can make, but that's a pipe dream I suppose. :P

- Jooli

Personally I think there's a lot of BS on both sides.

Rarely is there not. :(

I just wish it was about making the best the device that was the most useful to the consumer and not about how much money a company can make, but that's a pipe dream I suppose. :P

A pipe dream, sure. But sometimes even pipe dreams come true. (What are you smoking in that pipe, anyway? :P )

- T

Time to bring in a neutral observer, perhaps. This article from Fortune confirms Steve Jobs's assertion.

Good find, M. I found the comments particularly interesting. I agree with Tony Loiacono, who said: "But, major consumer friendly sites like Hulu, Crackle and YouTube use flash. When we see major distributor like one of these switch is when Jobs had won. Knowing his genius, behind the scene work for this to happen is already being implemented." Okay, yes, it sounds like he drank the KoolAid but I think he has a point.

-Thoth

For your convenience:

1. Hulu.

2. Crackle.

3. YouTube

Good find, M. I found the comments particularly interesting. I agree with Tony Loiacono, who said: "But, major consumer friendly sites like Hulu, Crackle and YouTube use flash. When we see major distributor like one of these switch is when Jobs had won. Knowing his genius, behind the scene work for this to happen is already being implemented." Okay, yes, it sounds like he drank the KoolAid but I think he has a point.

-Thoth

For your convenience:

1. Hulu.

2. Crackle.

3. YouTube

Well, YouTube can't be using only Flash, because I've watched a number of their videos on my iPad. Or was that your point: that the switch is already occurring?

M

Well, YouTube can't be using only Flash, because I've watched a number of their videos on my iPad. Or was that your point: that the switch is already occurring?

Hi Marguerite,

As Jobs wrote in his essay, even though YouTube itself uses Flash to show videos, they have developed a YouTube app for iPhone/iPad that can play their videos without needing Flash. That is why when you play a YouTube video, it plays in a separate app player, not on the page itself.

And that switch is happening. YouTube has already been rolling out their HTML5 based site. Hulu has been rumored or talking about an HTML5 site in the works as well.

As far as opinion pieces go, I found sci-fi author Charles Stross's article interesting. His take is less about which technology is better or right, but his opinion of what the business reasons behind Apple demanding total control over the distribution channel might be:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-stati...ates-flash.html

Orren

Thanks, Orren. You are right, of course. However benevolent the dictator, the dictatorship/monopoly does seem to benefit the character calling the shots more than (in this case) the hapless customer cut off from the benefits of competition.

"But it's more stable this way," to a historian of the late, unlamented USSR, does have a familiar ring. (And it was more stable, too, if that was all you cared about.) :)

M

Archived