Storyist Forums

Props & Setting Points

Joolissa

Hey Steve,

Is a Props collection on the list? It'd be really useful for things like the One Ring of LOTR which play an integral role in one's story. I can't remember if that's on the list.

I would also like to request the ability to assign section sheets to Setting Sheets the same way that one can assign them via Character Development Points to Character Sheets. I know you can use collages, but you can't make notes the way you can for a Character Development Point.

- Jools

Is a Props collection on the list? It'd be really useful for things like the One Ring of LOTR which play an integral role in one's story. I can't remember if that's on the list.

This was originally requested back in 2007 (click here). Steve promised it for Storyist 2 in the form of creating our own sheets and collections (click here). "Props" doesn't come with the package yet but at least it's doable using, for example, Character sheets within a new collection. (What are you waiting for, Steve? People will love this.)

I would also like to request the ability to assign section sheets to Setting Sheets the same way that one can assign them via Character Development Points to Character Sheets. I know you can use collages, but you can't make notes the way you can for a Character Development Point.

- Jools

Seconded. It seems like a natural fit. Why wouldn't people want to connect part of their story to a particular setting, and a setting to the various parts of a story?

- Thoth

Steve promised this for Storyist 2 (back in 2007) in the form of creating our own sheets and collections. (Click here.) "Props" doesn't come with the package yet but at least it's doable using, for example, Character sheets within a new collection. (What are you waiting for, Steve? People will love this.)

That is a good solution I had forgotten about momentarily, but there's a couple itty bitty issues with that method.

•You can't customize the titles of sections. It doesn't make sense for a prop sheet to have "Character Development Points" (I think this is coming though?)

•If you're a wiki linking type person, is there a way to wiki link to your custom collection? Or is it limited to the place that character etc. sheets are set to be created?

•You can't add a button for it to the large tool bar.

I would also like to request the ability to add new sections/fields to sheets.. I'd like to be able to add a "Uses" or "Power" section between "Physical Description" and "Character Development Points". I know it's possible to add it to the notes, or make a custom field in the physical description, but it would still be useful to be able to create your own section/field. I'd rather have those other three things if it came down to it though.

I do love sheets though. They're awesome. I think that if you could do those 3 things I mention you currently can't do with custom collections, that it would solve the props problem as well as any other collection requests.

Ah, the never ending list.

- Jools

That is a good solution I had forgotten about momentarily, but there's a couple itty bitty issues with that method.

1. You can't customize the titles of sections [in sheets]. It doesn't make sense for a prop sheet to have "Character Development Points" (I think this is coming though?)

2. If you're a wiki linking type person, is there a way to wiki link to your custom collection? Or is it limited to the place that character etc. sheets are set to be created?

3. You can't add a button for it to the large tool bar.

1. No but it's coming. Steve promised and Steve would lie about something like that. :huh:

2. You can wiki-link from a Note to any place listed in the Project view. Unfortunately the reverse is not yet true.

3. You can customize the tool bar. Are you asking to be able to create your own Storyist functions and assign them to your own big button?

Ah, the never ending list.

- Jools

Well, let's hope it never ends.

- Thoth

1. No but it's coming. Steve promised and Steve would lie about something like that. :huh:

2. You can wiki-link from a Note to any place listed in the Project view. Unfortunately the reverse is not yet true.

3. You can customize the tool bar. Are you asking to be able to create your own Storyist functions and assign them to your own big button?

Well, let's hope it never ends.

- Thoth

1. Yay

2. Maybe someday!

3. Not quite, but now that you mention it.......Originally I thought I would like to be able to add a button for a custom collection or have one appear in the customize tool bar menu already linked each time you create a custom collection, but since you mentioned being able to assign any function to a button.... I'd like it if there were "custom buttons" which you could tell to point any element (a specific character sheet, a collection, a section, a chapter), basically a wiki linked button that'd be available to put into the tool bar. Then the user could make what ever buttons they wanted, including if it were possible, the option to switch the active window to a specific view. I could liken it to an action in Photoshop, though it would only have one step. It would be really handy for quickly navigating to a very nested sheet or group, etc. It might be a doozy to implement though.

- J

3. Not quite, but now that you mention it.......Originally I thought I would like to be able to add a button for a custom collection or have one appear in the customize tool bar menu already linked each time you create a custom collection, but since you mentioned being able to assign any function to a button.... I'd like it if there were "custom buttons" which you could tell to point any element (a specific character sheet, a collection, a section, a chapter), basically a wiki linked button that'd be available to put into the tool bar. Then the user could make what ever buttons they wanted, including if it were possible, the option to switch the active window to a specific view. I could liken it to an action in Photoshop, though it would only have one step. It would be really handy for quickly navigating to a very nested sheet or group, etc. It might be a doozy to implement though.

Interesting. A wiki-linked button in the tool bar. I tend to use the History Menu to pop back to places I've been before but I could get behind a customizable version of such a thing. I also keep a list of places I go often (including Web sites like behindthename.com) as a list of wiki links with short comment, in a Note that is a permanent part of my template. Something like that as a button could be very cool.

- Thoth.

Archived