Storyist Forums

Adding page breaks

Steve

I just answered a question at the support address on how to add a page break, and thought the info would be useful for everyone.

To cause a page break, just apply a style that has the "paragraph starts on a new page" checkbox checked. The chapter styles are set up to do this. If you want finer grain control, create a new style from your Section Text style, name it something like "Section Text - Break", and apply where needed.

If you're just trying to include breaks in ePub files (e.g. between front matter and the book body), you can also do this using separate files.

-Steve

• 2 years later...

Steve,

I know this is a hugely old thread, but I just started a new project and managed to run into the "How the heck do I get a page break?" thing again. I was about to post a new topic but thought to search first.

Out of curiosity is there any particular reason there is no "insert page break" type feature? It's much more intuitive and honestly, having to create new section text so that I can set it to start on a new page is kinda annoying. Especially when you don't know that's what you have to do and spend 10+ minutes trying to figure it out. ^_^

Just wondering....

- Jules

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Steve,

Sorry to bother you, but I was searching for putting in page breaks when I found these old instructions. However, it doesn't work because when I click on 'Create Style' there is only a window for create a name, a box to check (or uncheck) Apply this new style on Creation cancel and ok. No where is there a way to create a style (as I understand them) and no box for checking new page at start of paragraph unless there is another menu item for 'Create Style'. I went Format>Style>Create Style. That box gives no way to truly create a style.

I like somethings about Storyist, but the simple things are never simple. For example, Project>Add to Project and next there is nothing to 'Add a new chapter' which would seem obvious within a given project if you consider that for Storyist a project is a book. Also, there is nothing in the Storyist Guide for Page Breaks.

Thanks for the help.

Ginny

Hi, Ginny:

The first method (the one that gives you the "Apply Style on Creation" option) is for when you've already set up text to have a certain formatting, and it would be a pain to have to redefine it all in the actual style window. To set up a new style from scratch, Format > Style > Create Style is indeed the way to go.

You can also open the Inspector, show the styles, click on the triangle next to the one closest to the style you want, and choose "Create New Style from Selection." Give it a name and choose to apply it on creation, then click on its triangle and choose "Edit Style" to get the formatting window. It sounds complicated, but when you're doing it, it's both fast and easy.

Best,

M

Hi Ginny

Sorry to bother you, but I was searching for putting in page breaks when I found these old instructions. However, it doesn't work because when I click on 'Create Style' there is only a window for create a name, a box to check (or uncheck) Apply this new style on Creation cancel and ok. No where is there a way to create a style (as I understand them) and no box for checking new page at start of paragraph unless there is another menu item for 'Create Style'. I went Format>Style>Create Style. That box gives no way to truly create a style.

To create a new style:

• Position the cursor in some text.
  • Choose Format > Style > Create New Style from Selection.
  • If you want the new style applied to the selection, check the "Apply this new style on creation" checkbox.
  • Click OK.

This creates a new style with the formatting properties of the selected text. You can see the new style in the style inspector. If you want to change the formatting properties of this new style, edit it using the style inspector or the Format > Style > Edit Current Style command. You'll find more information about this in the "Creating and Applying Styles" section of the User's Guide.

I like somethings about Storyist, but the simple things are never simple. For example, Project>Add to Project and next there is nothing to 'Add a new chapter' which would seem obvious within a given project if you consider that for Storyist a project is a book. Also, there is nothing in the Storyist Guide for Page Breaks.

Thanks for the help.

Ginny

There are several ways to add a chapter. One is:

1. Select the chapter or section in the Project view where you want the chapter to go.
  2. Click the Action (gear) menu at the bottom of the Project view and select Add to "My Manuscript" > Chapter.

Adding-a-Chapter.png

Another is:

1. Place the insertion point at the point on a blank line in your manuscript.
  2. Type the chapter title.
  3. Apply the style "Chapter Title" style to the paragraph.

-Steve

Archived