Storyist Forums

Cute Cursor Curses

jordanfel

I'm using Storyist 2.2 on a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.2. In this environment my cursor appears stagnate, at times. There are locations on the page where I can use the keyboard keys to move the cursor around and it appears to move and leave itself exactly where it had been. When I click another location on the page with the mouse the illusion disappears. This isn't a constant problem and doesn't appear to be anymore of a problem than an inconvenience. Is there something that I can do to rid my program of this ghost effect?

I'm using Storyist 2.2 on a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.2. In this environment my cursor appears stagnate, at times. There are locations on the page where I can use the keyboard keys to move the cursor around and it appears to move and leave itself exactly where it had been. When I click another location on the page with the mouse the illusion disappears. This isn't a constant problem and doesn't appear to be anymore of a problem than an inconvenience. Is there something that I can do to rid my program of this ghost effect?

Hi, Jordanfel:

Welcome to the forums. As the proud owner of three Siamese, I love your login photo!

I did not encounter this behavior on my iMac when it ran 10.6.2 (or either of my Tiger machines). Nor am I encountering it in 10.6.3. Does the duplication occur when you have your manuscript displayed in Page Layout (View > Page Layout) and in Normal (View > Normal) modes? Does it happen at specific spots on the page?

The answers won't help me solve the issue; I don't have the technical expertise. But more information will probably help Steve Shepard, Storyist's developer, in his investigation.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Jordanfel,

If you're editing with a zoom factor greater than 100%, you've run into a bug that Apple introduced in 10.6.2.

When the text view is zoomed to a value greater than 100%, the cursor is less than a pixel wide (e.g. at 125% it is 0.8 pixels wide). It looks like there are cases where OS 10.6.2 ignores requests to refresh areas of the screen when the area to refresh is less than a pixel wide or high, so the "old" cursor is not erased before the "new" cursor is drawn.

A work-around for this is already in testing and will be available in a week or two.

The problem goes away at a zoom factor of 100%, so if it is really bugging you, switch to 100%. If it is REALLY bugging you, send me an email at the support address and I'll send you a link to the version that is in testing.

-Steve

Hi Jordanfel,

If you're editing with a zoom factor greater than 100%, you've run into a bug that Apple introduced in 10.6.2.

When the text view is zoomed to a value greater than 100%, the cursor is less than a pixel wide (e.g. at 125% it is 0.8 pixels wide). It looks like there are cases where OS 10.6.2 ignores requests to refresh areas of the screen when the area to refresh is less than a pixel wide or high, so the "old" cursor is not erased before the "new" cursor is drawn.

A work-around for this is already in testing and will be available in a week or two.

The problem goes away at a zoom factor of 100%, so if it is really bugging you, switch to 100%. If it is REALLY bugging you, send me an email at the support address and I'll send you a link to the version that is in testing.

-Steve

Archived