Storyist Forums

The New iPhone 4.0

Steve E

Are you familiar with the Twitter "fail whale?" the image they put on their site when the system is down?

Honestly, no. I spend very little time on Twitter and never tweet. But thanks for the clarification. I thought JG was making a literary reference. (Sometimes I'm just too smart for my own good.)

Well, yesterday people mocked a special version up just for the Apple/AT&T debacle:

Excellent!

Maybe I should visit Twitter more often.

- Thoth

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh you both had me cracking up! I love the sequel to Moby Dick idea and thanks Orren for posting that ATT fail whale. That made my night I think.

*chants* join Twitter Thoth and M. Joiiiiin usssss. Joiiiiiin ussss.

Tehehehe

-Jools

Must. Not. Tweet.

A graduate of the James Tiberius Kirk School of Dramatic Acting.

- Thoth Caligula Church.

You forgot the ellipses.

Must ...

Not ...

Tweet.

As for Twitter, don't I procrastinate enough with you fine folks? :lol:

M

P.S. Nice whales. On which (back on topic!), did you hear that the iPad doesn't get iOS 4 until the fall?! What's up wid dat?

On which (back on topic!), did you hear that the iPad doesn't get iOS 4 until the fall?! What's up wid dat?

That is in fact what The Steve said as part of the iPhone OS 4 event on April 8th, so it's two month old news.

What's up is that since the iPad has additional features over the iPhone, it requires additional coding and testing.

Orren

That is in fact what The Steve said as part of the iPhone OS 4 event on April 8th, so it's two month old news.

What's up is that since the iPad has additional features over the iPhone, it requires additional coding and testing.

Orren

Yes, actually, now I do remember that. And I don't care that much, except for the annotatable version of iBooks. Do you happen to know whether that depends on iOS4?

Best,

M

Yes, actually, now I do remember that. And I don't care that much, except for the annotatable version of iBooks. Do you happen to know whether that depends on iOS4?

Best,

M

Actually, I don't--but if there is (or has been) an update to the iBooks app recently, give it a try and see if it works! :lol:

Orren

I am disappointed that iOS 4 isn't coming to the iPad until the "fall" ... one would think that since the iPad is new and the two must have been in development at the same time that it would be easier to implement it in the iPad first. I'm actually really surprised they didn't release the iPad with iOS 4. I would think that since 4 supports "multi-tasking" and other very useful features for a tablet device that it would have made them a lot more money/converts.

Then again, what do I know, I am but a lowly consumer. :lol:

- Jools

ps. M of course you don't procrastinate enough with us. That's why we want you on Twitter, so you can procrastinate more with us :lol:

ps. M of course you don't procrastinate enough with us. That's why we want you on Twitter, so you can procrastinate more with us :lol:

See M? They want you to tweet with them, not me. Some people just got all the charisma.

- T

I believe I mentioned wanting you both in the other thread. Here I was just reply to her specific comment. :)

You, Thoth, could try making your fortune at being the most prolific tweeter... you have all this practice from posting here! :lol:

Sooooo, I assume that since my bank is processing the charge that I successfully purchased the new iPhone, though I never got any sort of a confirmation email. I wonder if they'll tell me when they ship it. :lol:

This has been a heavily emoticon-ed post!

- Jools

I am disappointed that iOS 4 isn't coming to the iPad until the "fall" ... one would think that since the iPad is new and the two must have been in development at the same time that it would be easier to implement it in the iPad first.

I don't think it's so much a matter of easier or harder. Since the iPad has it's own unique features, it needs it's own implementation and testing.

I'm actually really surprised they didn't release the iPad with iOS 4.

The iPad hardware was ready, iOS4 wasn't. Not releasing the iPad would have meant losing all that revenue!

Orren

See M? They want you to tweet with them, not me. Some people just got all the charisma.

If it's any consolation I don't "want" anyone on Twitter who isn't interested. :) There's really no point. One of the nice things about the Interwebs is that we have lots of ways to communicate, everyone can choose what works for them. My mom, for example, was convinced by her friends to join Twitter, but it think she has maybe Tweeted thrice in a year. It really wasn't worth it for her, it's just something else for her to think about, to wonder if she's "doing it wrong" or is somehow missing out, etc.

And the thing is, there is so much duplication. I subscribe to the RSS feeds of many sites; those sites then also announce their articles on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. I do the same thing; orrenmerton.com is where I post longer blog entries, but then Twitter and Facebook are automatically informed as well (I don't repeat the blog of course, just links). Point being, you don't need these services to stay informed.

Personally, I use Twitter and FB as marketing tools and to keep up with friends. But if you're not marketing yourself and don't care to keep up with friends by using those services, you're not missing anything. Twitter and FB will be there when you are interested in checking them out, if ever. :)

(this is why my marketing career ended before it began. "you don't really need this" isn't quite the pitch marketing managers want there underlings to say! :P )

Orren

Sooooo, I assume that since my bank is processing the charge that I successfully purchased the new iPhone, though I never got any sort of a confirmation email. I wonder if they'll tell me when they ship it. :P

Me too! And AT&T sent me an email saying that they'd tell me, and also gave me an order stays number so i could look it up on their site. You probably got one too a day or two after purchase. So one way or another, we'll be able to track it. Yeay! :)

Orren

You, Thoth, could try making your fortune at being the most prolific tweeter... you have all this practice from posting here! :P

Fortune? (***fox-like ears perk up***) You mean there's money in tweeting?

Sooooo, I assume that since my bank is processing the charge that I successfully purchased the new iPhone, though I never got any sort of a confirmation email. I wonder if they'll tell me when they ship it. :)

Actually, all it means is that they have your money (***sinister laugh***) But here's hoping.

This has been a heavily emoticon-ed post!

I think Invision Zone should expand their list of emoticons. Most of my emotions are underrepresented. (What emoticon represents farfegnugen?)

- Thoth :)

...Twitter and FB will be there when you are interested in checking them out, if ever. :)

I kinda feel that they won't last that long. :P

(this is why my marketing career ended before it began. "you don't really need this" isn't quite the pitch marketing managers want there underlings to say! :) )

I would love you in sales!

- Thoth

You probably got one too a day or two after purchase.

After some investigation, it turns out the account had an old email address of my Father's that he can't get mail from anymore, so my confirmation email went there. I got it changed, so hopefully the shipping email will go where we get it.

Speaking of shipping, anyone know when they are shipping or who they are using as a carrier? There's talk about going to the shore on thursday and I don't particularly want to leave an iPhone sitting in a package on our step for a few days......

- Jools

Speaking of shipping, anyone know when they are shipping or who they are using as a carrier? There's talk about going to the shore on thursday and I don't particularly want to leave an iPhone sitting in a package on our step for a few days......

- Jools

I just checked AT&T's site, and my order status page said they shipped ours today! I checked FEDEX (the carrier) and it said they estimated delivery Wednesday by 3pm, but the order had only just been picked up, it wasn't on the plane yet. But we'll see tomorrow...

Orren

*dances* Mine too!! Mine too!!!! It's shipppppped! (Ironically enough I was loggin in to check right as you posted that)

Assuming that it gets here tomorrow like they say I will really be psyched, because we're leaving for the beach at "you'd better be ready by 10am!!" (insert night owl eye blinks here) on Thursday and I've been trying to figure out what to do about it sitting on our steps for days. I really hope I can get everything set up over the phone instead of having to go into the store. If I have to go into the store (I suppose I could rush to the store as soon as it got here), does anyone know if you have to go to a Store in your state? Could I go to one while I'm at the jersey shore? lol. Otherwise I'll probably wait until I get home (groan!) :P

Of course... I read this after 2am when I need to go to sleep... I'll probably have a nightmare about the fed-ex trucks being truck napped! :lol:

- Jools

My iPhone 4 arrived. I followed AT&T's instructions for getting it working, and it all went according to plan. If you bought from AT&T, there's a registration + activation process, whereas when you purchased from Apple, it's just activation. But who cares, the extra time wasn't a problem.

Already tried out FaceTime with my friend at Apple and with my mom. Interestingly, it actually took a moment to get it working with mom, but it lead to a (positive) discovery. Where I had the "FaceTime" icon, she had a "hold" icon. So looking through the settings, apparently her phone shipped with FaceTime set to OFF. Turned it on and that was it—it's as easy as making a call. And I'm actually glad that there's a preference to turn it off, I had thought it was always on (you could refuse to accept, of course, but it's easier to just deactivate it than reject a few FaceTime requests).

The phone itself is not only gorgeous, but feels incredibly sturdy. It's also significantly faster than my iPhone 3G (I'm guessing if you are used to the iPhone 3GS the difference isn't as extreme). Now my iPhone 3G is a 3.5" iPad. :lol:

I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up doing with my iPhone 3G. I don't want to sell it. I intend to erase it and either recycle it or give it to charity, I've just not looked into the details.

Orren

My iPhone 4 arrived. I followed AT&T's instructions for getting it working, and it all went according to plan.

CONGRATULATIONS !!! ***confetti, cheering, band music***

Now my iPhone 3G is a 3.5" iPad. :P

:lol:

Better! It has cameras and can make telephone calls.

-T

CONGRATULATIONS !!! ***confetti, cheering, band music***

Thanks!

Better! It has cameras and can make telephone calls.

Actually, now that I have the iPhone 4, AT&T unceremoniously deactivated the iPhone 3G. So it can't make calls, unless someone wants to put another SIM card in it. I think...I honestly don't know if a deactivated iPhone can be reactivated with another SIM card, I've never tried. But I guess it's just like any other cell phone in that regard, right?

Either way, I'm in no hurry to do anything with the iPhone 3G. Now I'm just enjoying my iPhone 4. :lol:

Orren

Actually, now that I have the iPhone 4, AT&T unceremoniously deactivated the iPhone 3G. So it can't make calls, unless someone wants to put another SIM card in it. I think...I honestly don't know if a deactivated iPhone can be reactivated with another SIM card, I've never tried. But I guess it's just like any other cell phone in that regard, right?

Yes. That would be my guess.

-T

*dances* Mine too!! Mine too!!!! It's shipppppped! (Ironically enough I was loggin in to check right as you posted that)

Jools, let us know when it arrives.

After all you've suffered with your old phone you deserve at least a milestone marker.

Dancing in my mind.

- T

Archived