Storyist Forums

The New iPhone 4.0

Steve E

Wheee!! My phone arrived at 12 or so this afternoon. I immediately called customer service and they, after figuring out we'd need new sims, sent me to a store. We went to the store and about 30 minutes later, we had new sims and I have the iPhone 4! Yay!

And I was the first person to come in with an iPhone 4 (to that store anyway). They had literally just received the micro sims in to the store, and had to add a single one (well actually 2 cause the first didn't work) into the computer for me. The kind lady also offered me a case and a shield even though they weren't "supposed" to be selling them until tomorrow. I didn't take her up on it though.

Unfortunately I haven't played with it much. The day was spent running errands and then installing & setting up some shelves and now I have do a bit of image work and then pack, because we're leaving tomorrow for a few days at the shore, but I will have plenty of time to play with it then!

I did look at the screens side by side and I'm soooo in love. This new display is soooooo gorgeous! I can't wait to load some of my portfolio on it. I can only imagine what an iPad would look like with this type of screen. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll get the opportunity to test FaceTime, but I can imagine it, after opening the camera (love the new features in there!) and flipping it to the front. So cool.

I did notice that I could barely hear a caller, but I think this is due to the fact that I've left the static cling film thingy on the phone and it covers the speaker. I cut a slit in it over the speaker and I'll see how that improves it tomorrow. Why did I leave them on you ask? Weeeellll because I'm paranoid and I don't have my invisible shield yet, so they will probably stay on there until I get it. Or get stuck back on when I'm not using it at least. :lol:

I am happy to report that my 3GS' silicone case fits the thing quite well actually. If it weren't for the camera flash I wouldn't really need a new case. And using it in the mean time lets me wait for some more iPhone 4 cases to come out so I can get one I really like. I like the new design too, which surprised me, because I didn't think I'd like that it was flat. As Orren says, it feels really good and quite sturdy. Having the case on it makes it feel like "normal".

Here's hoping my iPhone gremlins have disappeared with the coming of iOS 4. (The phone has not registered an "aggregated crash log" (which I've found out is what is sent to Apple if you opt into that) since upgrading my 3GS to iOS 4. The iPad is still registering one each day, so if it doesn't start happening again with the iPhone, I can look forward to the whole issue being solved in the fall when iOS 4 comes to the iPad)

- Jools

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did notice that I could barely hear a caller, but I think this is due to the fact that I've left the static cling film thingy on the phone and it covers the speaker. I cut a slit in it over the speaker and I'll see how that improves it tomorrow.

There may be another factor. Some other iPhone 4 early adopters have been making this complaint too. So some good folks ran some tests and it turns out that how you hold the iPhone makes a big (3 or 4 bars) difference.

Here's one of the articles.

- Thoth.

There may be another factor. Some other iPhone 4 early adopters have been making this complaint too. So some good folks ran some tests and it turns out that how you hold the iPhone makes a big (3 or 4 bars) difference.

Here's one of the articles.

- Thoth.

Here's what's weird. I am left handed (one of those articles is titled "lefties beware"). If I cover the left-corner (where the video shows that problems reliably occurs) I lose no signal. If I hold it in my right hand, I lose no signal. Basically, any possible combination of odd ways to hold the phone, I lose no signal. Five solid bars, no matter what (okay, I didn't try "licking my palm" as one article suggested, because I'm not that desperate to reproduce the problem)

But a couple of times now, I'd put the iPhone 4 down on my table or desk, and it would drop to zero bars! Until I pick it up again, and it will be back to 4 or 5.

Am I acting as an AT&T cell tower? Am I a cyborg? Does my phone have AI, and it knows when I'll want to use it?

Weird...

Orren

Am I acting as an AT&T cell tower? Am I a cyborg? Does my phone have AI, and it knows when I'll want to use it?

As I mentioned in my post, this isn't happening to everybody. Perhaps it just happens to non-cyborgs or folks whose hands aren't radio transparent. Perhaps you're not eating enough iron? Or too much? I guess the point is that it happens, it's documented, and it's another of life's little Apple Mysteries.

Weird...

Weird indeed.

- Thoth

I guess the point is that it happens, it's documented, and it's another of life's little Apple Mysteries.

I wonder if using one of Apple's "bumpers"—cases that just go around the sides—would eliminate this?

EDIT: Dvice says YES, a non-metal sleeve such as Apple's bumper or a generic rubber sleeve seems to solve it: http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/iphone-4s-dark.php

Hmmm....I may get a bumper anyway...before this happens! :lol:

Orren

Lol licking you palm to try to make you signal bars go down? Really people....

Cutting the slit in the static film has done the trick for me. Hopefully I won't run into the other issue, but we all know my luck with iPhone gremlins! :lol:

How are you enjoying your phone Orren? Is your wid enjoying hers? And your mom? I heard on the radio today some mention of all the apple people lining up to get their knew iPhones and I just smiled and said "suckers!" lol!!

I am really enjoying the pandora in the background and still can't get over the gorgeousness of the screen. The speaker quality is different too. Louder I think, which is great for speaker calls or playing things like finger piano!

-iJools :P

I wonder if using one of Apple's "bumpers"—cases that just go around the sides—would eliminate this?

If the problem is (in reality) static electricity, maybe.

Hmmm....I may get a bumper anyway...before this happens! :lol:

But notice he had to drop it three times in a parking lot before anything went wrong. That's a tough phone. In any event, you might want to bookmark

just in case.

- Thoth

Lol licking you palm to try to make you signal bars go down? Really people....

I don't know about your palms but mine are yummy. And it does support my static electricity conjecture.

Cutting the slit in the static film has done the trick for me.

Let's see if this solution lasts. Here's hoping.

...which is great for speaker calls or playing things like finger piano!

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's what Alexander Graham Bell had in mind when he gave the first public demonstration of the telephone in 1876.

iDrools :lol:

- Thoth

How are you enjoying your phone Orren? Is your wid enjoying hers? And your mom?

My thoughts on mine: http://www.orrenmerton.com/site/2010/06/24...-the-new-phone/

Michelle is liking hers, but she's not nearly as excited by gadgets as I am, and she's just learning it. Mom loves her iPhone (like me, having an iPhone 3G previously), although her eyesight is bad enough that the default fine print of the Retina Display is a bit much for her, so she's playing around with the Accessibility options to get the right size and boldness of look.

And FaceTime is awesome. :lol:

Orren

Speaking of the antena issue, Jobs has reportedly written someone back saying it's not a big deal and just hold it another way. Others say a case is the answer. But I thought this blog was really illuminating: this is from a professional cell phone antenna designer (not working for Apple) who explains FCC, AT&T regulations, etc.

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys-blog/...4-antennas.html

And Gruber offers a reason why many people (such as I) may not have experienced this at all (spoiler: this seems to happen mostly/more frequently in areas with spotty 3G coverage): http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/06/2...adget-reception

Orren

Speaking of the antena issue, Jobs has reportedly written someone back saying it's not a big deal and just hold it another way. Others say a case is the answer. But I thought this blog was really illuminating: this is from a professional cell phone antenna designer (not working for Apple) who explains FCC, AT&T regulations, etc.

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys-blog/...4-antennas.html

So..."The iPhone 4 has two symmetrical slots in the stainless frame. If you short these slots, or cover them with your hand, the antenna performance will suffer." They probably should have mentioned this in the manual.

Good find.

- Thoth.

They probably should have mentioned this in the manual.

Or for that matter...included a manual! ;)

There is a page that comes with the iPhone on which they could have included that information, however. The iPhone comes with a single piece of folded paper in which each fold highlights one feature of the phone or iOS 4—it could have been mentioned there.

There is apparently an "official statement" from Apple about the antenna issue, but I couldn't find it on Apple.com, only here:

http://www.gearlog.com/2010/06/apple_respo...phone_4_dea.php

Orren

Okay, final post on the antenna issue: I made it happen! Weee! I can't do it reliably, but I cupped my hand completely around the sides, and my connection strength dropped to two bars. I then held it normally, and it jumped up to 5 bars. I did this two or three times in a row to verify it wasn't just a momentary flux, but was in fact the position of my fingers.

I'm not a cyborg! Yeay! :)

Orren <—never happier to make equipment fail. ;)

If a case is the solution to the problem, that's probably why I haven't noticed it, I've had my silicone case from my 3GS on it since it was activated.. The phone did drop a call last night though.

The speakers sure do sound different than my 3GS, it's weird!

-Jools

Here is an inexpensive solution for the antenna/case issue while you're waiting for your favorite case to come out. I might try to make one just to see if I'm comfortable using it as the only case. I'd love to get a custom skin on the back like I have for my iPad, but I don't know if I'm comfortable with such little protection.

http://www.theiphoneguru.net/2010/06/25/di...gle+Feedfetcher

-Jools

Okay, final post on the antenna issue: I made it happen! Weee! I can't do it reliably, but I cupped my hand completely around the sides, and my connection strength dropped to two bars. I then held it normally, and it jumped up to 5 bars. I did this two or three times in a row to verify it wasn't just a momentary flux, but was in fact the position of my fingers.

Congratulations. You have achieved a successful failure. ;)

I'm not a cyborg! Yeay! :)

Let's not jump to conclusions. The original robots in R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots, 1921) were completely organic and grown in vats. You may still want to have a long talk with your mom. (She may be faking her level of technological skill to keep you from guessing the the horrible/wonderful truth about your mad-science origins. Just a thought.)

-T

This is really about Google's Android phone. Or is it?

This is the article. It's a CNET article from yesterday: Google remotely wipes apps off Android phones. "This marks the first time Google has used the Remote Application Removal Feature that allows the company to delete apps for security reasons that have been installed through Android Market."

It's always for "security reasons" until it isn't. Hello Kindle/Amazon. You deleted books, that were bought and paid for by your customers, to reduce your liability because you neglected to secure distribution rights. Was that really the way to go? Wouldn't it have been better to just pay the fine? Maybe. Maybe not. You secured your reputation with publishers (temporarily) at the cost of your reputation with your customers.

Can iPhone/iPad/Apple be far behind? Has it already happened?

Big Brother is watching.

And he can take your apps.

- Thoth

Yup. It's in the terms and conditions. They can delete anything they want whenever they want with no liability. They don't even have to credit you the purchase price it seems. I would have less of a problem if they had to credit you the purchase price. Still, it's pretty terrible and is exactly why i hate buying things that don't hsve hard copies and that i don't have control over.

I wonder if you keep back ups of your app files if you would be able to reinstall something that was remotely deleted after the fact. I mean, they can't possibly have continual watch dogs for a particular app can they? I would think that it'd be one gigantic wipe, and then after that if you were to re-add it to your library, who's to know? As long as you turned off submitting crash reports and genius features. It seems feasible to me. I want to back up my app files anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong?

-Jools

I wonder if you keep back ups of your app files if you would be able to reinstall something that was remotely deleted after the fact. I mean, they can't possibly have continual watch dogs for a particular app can they? I would think that it'd be one gigantic wipe, and then after that if you were to re-add it to your library, who's to know? As long as you turned off submitting crash reports and genius features. It seems feasible to me. I want to back up my app files anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I could be wrong, but I believe that part of Apple's ability to disable apps is a "kill switch" so that the app itself would be "turned off" so as not to run no matter how many backups you've got. At least it is with Apple. I have no idea about Google, but I can't imagine there wouldn't be.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08...ill_switch.html

I'm sure that there's a workaround that dedicated hackers have found. There always is.

Orren

... I want to back up my app files anyway....

I'm not completely clear about this but isn't there a public right to keep backups of copyrighted material for your own use. Anyone have a reference for me?

I'm sure that there's a workaround that dedicated hackers have found. There always is.

Yup, there always is. But you shouldn't have to be a dedicated hacker to use it. Instead, the right to backups should be acknowledged.

Cry freedom, and release the penguins white hat hackerism.

-Thoth

I'm not completely clear about this but isn't there a public right to keep backups of copyrighted material for your own use.

Depends on the material. You do have the right to keep a digital backup of a copyrighted computer application. You do not have the right to a backup of movies, films, etc. I'm assuming that includes books.

I'd guess that "apps" can be legally backed up if they are mostly "functional" apps, and not simply wrappers for un-backupable media. For example, one of my "apps" is a standalone eBook by Nick Cave. I'm certain that this would fall under non-duplicatable material, even though it's an "app."

Anyone have a reference for me?

From the US Copyright Office: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

Can I backup my computer software?

Yes, under certain conditions as provided by section 117 of the Copyright Act. Although the precise term used under section 117 is “archival” copy, not “backup” copy, these terms today are used interchangeably. This privilege extends only to computer programs and not to other types of works.

Under section 117, you or someone you authorize may make a copy of an original computer program if:

the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only;

you are the legal owner of the copy; and

any copy made for archival purposes is either destroyed, or transferred with the original copy, once the original copy is sold, given away, or otherwise transferred.

You are not permitted under section 117 to make a backup copy of other material on a computer's hard drive, such as other copyrighted works that have been downloaded (e.g., music, films).

Cry freedom, and release the penguins white hat hackerism.

Either that or release everything under a creative commons license. ;)

Orren

Archived