Storyist Forums

New fan of Storyist

David Ross from Bournemouth, England here.

I have been several years writing Book Keeping Home Truths, and accelerated the process when the iPad was mooted.

But I expected I would still have to go via a Publishing House, and expected the learning curve to be very steep.

So I am blown away by the way Apple has made it so easy to self-publish, and once I realised the epub standard was to be used, a search for authoring tools led me to Storyist (after testing inferior products)

I must say that Steve Shepard's video was an immense help - concise and comprehensive. As soon as I saw that one can import straight to iTunes I loaded up a rough draft on the iPad. As they say, A picture is worth a thousand words - never more so. Seeing one's work as the reader will see it answers many questions (e.g. one sees that the reader software does a lot of the formatting, the end user being able to change fonts and sizes).

The iPad is very flattering to the Author !

Last Friday I discovered Storyist, and in an hour or so my knowledge had ballooned and my project leapt forward. Thanks, guys.

Welcome to the Storyist forums, David!

Yes, the Storyist > ePub > iBooks > iPad transition is a huge plus. As I've noted in other threads, I love being able to see my book as a book. And to edit it in iBooks, which will become easier when Apple releases version 2 next week.

It seems that you are using Storyist to write nonfiction. The database management features (notebook, etc.) I'm sure are just as relevant to nonfiction as to fiction. It would be interesting to hear more about your experiences using Storyist for your project, though. Most of us are writing novels or screenplays or (in Calli's case) comic books/graphic novels.

Best,

Marguerite

Hello David, and welcome to the Forum.

Yes, I think the ePub standard will attract many to Storyist once they find out about it.

Steve is a sweetheart, as I'm sure you will learn, and is without a doubt one of the product's greatest resources. (Just try getting Bill Gates or Paul Allen to answer a question about Word!) But read the online manual. It will help.

My best to Kryten and Talkie Toster :)

- Thoth

Hi David,

Welcome!

As others have stated, Steve is extremely responsive and attentive. Storyist is constantly improving and the more posters make their uses of Storyist heard, the better it will get!

If I may ask, what is the specific "angle" of Book Keeping Home Truths would you say? Is it specifically designed for a British audience?

Take care,

Orren

Welcome to the forum David! As others have said we're so glad you found us. We love it when new people discover Storyist. We've been plotting its take over of the writing world, so every new member is another step in the right direction :P

As Orren asked, what exactly is your book about? It sounds very interesting. If you care to share we'd love to hear about it, but as always you may share as much or as little as you're comfortablew with. We're all fairly protective of our "babies" here.

Welcome again!

-Jools

Archived