Storyist Forums

Graphic Tool Ideas For Storyist

Steve E

I've dragged pictures into Storyist text for my non-fiction stuff (graphs mostly) and an attempt at a graphic novel, but we're missing some tools. Tools such as sizing the picture after placement in the text or text wrap.

Anyone else have any graphic tool ideas for Storyist?

If we're going to do this we might as well do it right.

- Thoth.

I agree. I would like to see these features. I'm not sure we need too many, sizing and text wrapping would be very good. I would also like alignment if that isn't already possible. A couple of simple border options would be appreciated as well, pixel width and color choice as well as square or rounded corners. Other than that I can't think of anything else that wouldn't be "too much" for maybe a cropping tool? I'm not sure if that's really a necessary one though.

-Jools

Well, tools like being able to delete the background color so that text can wrap around the main subject of an image, similar to what you see in the demos of Pages, are great, but I don't think Storyist should have those, unless they become necessary for ebooks. If Storyist wants to attract people for the ebook feature, we should consider the illustration needs for all different types of books: cook books, how to books, photography books, etc. We may not have a lot of that type of book now, but the possibilities are endless with the epub and the iPad, so we should keep it in mind.

That said I still think that sizing, cropping, placement/alignment, wrapping, and simple border options would satisfy 90% or more of the needs. Anything else should probably be handled in a dedicated image editing program. One could argue that cropping should even be handled outside of Storyist, but two things pop out to me about cropping. 1. Sometimes even if you crop it before hand it isn't quite right, or you change where you were going to add it, so being able to crop in program would be useful for minor tweaking. 2. People who are making personal epubs, perhaps a story for their kids or about a family trip, may just be porting small unedited images fro their cell phones and digital cameras straight into Storyist and would appreciate the ability to crop. Now, how likey any of that is, depends on the user base, and Steve would have a better idea about that.

So all that said I think my requests in this area would remain with sizing, cropping, placement/alignment, wrapping, and simple border options, unless anyone else can think, of something that wouldn't be overboard. Of course, someone else may think most of that is overboard.

-Jools

• 3 weeks later...

Storyist 2.2.1 has some image-related enhancements:

• Images that are too large for the page are now automatically scaled to fit.
  • You can now resize images in text files by control-clicking or right-clicking on the image and selecting Set Image Size from the context menu.
  • On Snow Leopard, you can resize an image by clicking on the image and dragging the resize handles.

Thanks Thoth.

-Steve

Archived