Storyist Forums

Expand/Collapse

TexasRunner

I would like to see the ability to expand all/collapse all when viewing the Chapters & Sections Titles in the Project View, sort of like the Show/Hide Summaries option in Outline View.

It would also be useful if the Show/Hide Summaries in Outline View extended to include the Sections Summaries.

Has this been requested before? (Or is this something that exists and that I have overlooked?)

Many thanks.

I would like to see the ability to expand all/collapse all when viewing the Chapters & Sections Titles in the Project View, sort of like the Show/Hide Summaries option in Outline View.

You want Show/Hide or Collapse/Expand added to the Gear menu in the Project View? Seems reasonable but the little black triangles work pretty well in Project and Outline views.

It would also be useful if the Show/Hide Summaries in Outline View extended to include the Sections Summaries.

The Outline View shows the Section Synopsis (Summaries?) but not the Section Notes. Did you want add Section Notes to the Outline View?

Do I understand you correctly?

- Thoth.

Hi TexasRunner,

Thanks for the requests.

I think Expand All has been requested before (I've got it in the feature request database), but requesting it again is fine.

Has this been requested before? (Or is this something that exists and that I have overlooked?)

I'm not sure I understand this part of your request. In the Outline view, Show Summaries shows both the section summaries and the chapter summaries.

-Steve

I'm not sure I understand this part of your request. In the Outline view, Show Summaries shows both the section summaries and the chapter summaries.

I think TexasRunner might be talking about Section Notes (the notes at the bottom of the Section sheets).

Is that right, TR?

- Thoth

Hi TexasRunner,

Thanks for the requests.

I think Expand All has been requested before (I've got it in the feature request database), but requesting it again is fine.

-Steve

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant for the Manuscript, in Outline View. When you choose the "Show Summaries" option, you can see the heading CHAPTER 1, CHAPTER 2, etc. and the summary/synopsis. But to reveal the title and summary/synopsis for the Sections beneath it, you must click on the black triangle to expand it. (See attached.)

I was just thinking it would be nice if the titles, summaries/synopses for both Chapters and Sections would be revealed when you choose the "Show Summaries" option from the gear menu at the bottom of the screen. Did I clarify?

As far the Project view "expand all/collapse all" request - When I'm looking for the section that contains a certain scene, it would be nice if I could "expand all" and find it without going down the list, expanding each individually, looking for the scene. I will admit, an addition to the Gear Menu in Project would be terrific. Not critical, because I can do "phrase search," but pretty darn nice.

I'm also a tidy freak and like them all closed up when I exit so I go down the list, clicking triangles, and close them all up.

And, no, I really don't care about adding the Section Notes to Outline View.

Thanks,

Storyist_Sample.tiff

That's okay. I just need to do a better job of expressing myself. I appreciate your effort. :)

Incidentally, did you notice that you've earned your second pip?

(Those little blue squares to the left, under your icon.)

Incidentally, did you notice that you've earned your second pip?

(Those little blue squares to the left, under your icon.)

Does that mean I've graduated from Newbie? Hooray! I'm using the program daily and lovin' it though it still confuses me sometimes. (Or perhaps I confuse myself.)

Does that mean I've graduated from Newbie? Hooray! I'm using the program daily and lovin' it though it still confuses me sometimes. (Or perhaps I confuse myself.)

Yes, you're a full member now. Make thirty posts and you get a third pip and become an advanced member. The confusion goes down over time, then a new version comes out and it starts all over again. :) 'Tis ever the way: just be glad you don't have Windows. You should see the bewildered messages I got when Microsoft changed its file format and people couldn't open files they had created on their office machines at home and vice versa....

Nice feature requests, by the way. I agree that both Expand All/Collapse All and Show All Section Summaries would be useful additions to the gear menu.

Best,

M

Does that mean I've graduated from Newbie? Hooray! I'm using the program daily and lovin' it though it still confuses me sometimes.

Yes! Double Hooray! Three Cheers!

Interestingly, the Invision Zone people, who created the site's software, never imagined a forum member submitting much more than 30 posts (some people just have no faith in their fellow wo/man), so they never made provisions for more that 3 pips. Our happy little group, however, has gone beyond the blue squares (10s) to considering red stars (100s) and yellow triangles (1000s). Reach 10,000 posts and you get a gold crown (Poobah level).

Ah. What dreams may come...

- Thoth

I'm Me-Too-ing the Expand/Collapse all request. That'd be really nice and much easier than incessantly clicking those little triangles. :)

As a side note I just discovered the emotion menu for this forum, which is a pop out window actually still works on the iPad. Yay!

I also agree about the section summaries part. Maybe it could be it's own action in the gear, so that those who don't want to see them aren't forced to.

-Jools

I also agree about the section summaries part. Maybe it could be it's own action in the gear, so that those who don't want to see them aren't forced to.

-Jools

Hi Jools.

Are you talking about the Section summaries in the Outline View or the Section summaries when looking at a Section sheet? The former already exists in the Gear Menu (Gear > Hide Summaries).

- Thoth

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant for the Manuscript, in Outline View. When you choose the "Show Summaries" option, you can see the heading CHAPTER 1, CHAPTER 2, etc. and the summary/synopsis. But to reveal the title and summary/synopsis for the Sections beneath it, you must click on the black triangle to expand it. (See attached.)

I was just thinking it would be nice if the titles, summaries/synopses for both Chapters and Sections would be revealed when you choose the "Show Summaries" option from the gear menu at the bottom of the screen. Did I clarify?

That part is what i was referring to, but maybe I'm just confused as to what that meant.

-Jools

That part is what i was referring to, but maybe I'm just confused as to what that meant.

-Jools

Was I clear about what I was referring to? Under the Chapter heading you see a summary/synopsis when you Show Summaries. However at the Section level beneath the Chapter, the summary/synopsis is not revealed unless you click a down triangle. I'd like to see that text too when I select Show Summaries from the Gear Menu.

-TR

Yes. I would like that too. It sounds useful. I hate having to click a billion disclosure triangles.

-Jools

On the other hand, suppose you did have a billion (or just a hundred) disclosure triangles; Do you really want them all to expand when all you really want are the summaries for the Sections under one Chapter?

No. I don't think I'd want automatic expansion when I choose Show Summaries from the Gear menu.

You could just choose to show the outline of a single Chapter. Click the one Chapter triangle to expand it and then choose Show Summaries. Would that be all right?

- Thoth

On the other hand, suppose you did have a billion (or just a hundred) disclosure triangles; Do you really want them all to expand when all you really want are the summaries for the Sections under one Chapter?

No. I don't think I'd want automatic expansion when I choose Show Summaries from the Gear menu.

You could just choose to show the outline of a single Chapter. Click the one Chapter triangle to expand it and then choose Show Summaries. Would that be all right?

- Thoth

From my perspective, the automatic expansion is exactly what I would like -- even if I did have a billion. We already have the ability to click on the triangle and expand. I want to scan down the summaries for all the Chapters/Sections and find a particular scene. Scanning a billion scenes is easier than clicking a billion triangles, don't you think?

-TR

From my perspective, the automatic expansion is exactly what I would like -- even if I did have a billion. We already have the ability to click on the triangle and expand. I want to scan down the summaries for all the Chapters/Sections and find a particular scene. Scanning a billion scenes is easier than clicking a billion triangles, don't you think?

-TR

If it came to that, TR, I would probably find it using the Search field.

- Thoth

What if you weren't searching though? What if you just wanted to read through all that information to see how it's fitting together etc. I think the expand all would be very handy for that. Perhaps it should be a separate button though?

-Jools

I suppose, if you're the type who types a lot of chapters, an expand-all command on the Gear menu would be handy. But I still wouldn't want it tied to the Show Summaries command, necessarily. Expand All and Show Summaries are just two clicks. However, if you've already clicked Show Summaries then, when you click (the new) Expand All command, the Sections should show their summaries also. This would just be a characteristic of the Expand All command. Yes?

- Thools.

I suppose, if you're the type who types a lot of chapters, an expand-all command on the Gear menu would be handy. But I still wouldn't want it tied to the Show Summaries command, necessarily. Expand All and Show Summaries are just two clicks. However, if you've already clicked Show Summaries then, when you click (the new) Expand All command, the Sections should show their summaries also. This would just be a characteristic of the Expand All command. Yes?

- Thools.

Yes, I agree. I think that would be ideal. I'm thinking of Expand All/Collapse All as an additional option. I am probably "Chapter Heavy" because I cycle through character viewpoints. I already have 50 chapters and I'm about 3/4 through my story.

What Jools is talking about (reading through all the information to see how it's fitting together), is what I do. The search option is terrific, but doesn't accomplish the same thing. Since I do cycle through character viewpoints, I find myself looking for the last Chapter with that character so I can see where I left him/her. I usually have the first line of every Chapter and Section Summary display the following identifying information: "Lara POV, Thursday, October 8." Changing with the character POV and date, of course.

-TR

What Jools is talking about (reading through all the information to see how it's fitting together), is what I do. The search option is terrific, but doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Yes. I see that.

I usually have the first line of every Chapter and Section Summary display the following identifying information: "Lara POV, Thursday, October 8."

That also makes POV and time Search-able. Clever idea. I hope you won't mind if I use it too.

Thanks,

- T

Archived