Storyist Forums

Double-click notebook entry in corkboard/collage to view as text

orrenm

I find that in storyboard mode, I keep double clicking on my notecards expecting to then open that notebook entry in text mode.

I would like to request that as an option/feature.

Thanks,

Orren

I find that in storyboard mode, I keep double clicking on my notecards expecting to then open that notebook entry in text mode.

I would like to request that as an option/feature.

Double-clicking on notebook note card either moves you to that card or, if you're already there, puts you in the card's text entry mode. If you want the text view of a selected note card it is simply a matter of clicking the Text View button.

The three View Buttons are your options.

Does this work for you?

- Thoth

Double-clicking on notebook note card either moves you to that card or, if you're already there, puts you in the card's text entry mode. If you want the text view of a selected note card it is simply a matter of clicking the Text View button.

The three View Buttons are your options.

Does this work for you?

- Thoth

It works in the sense that it operates the way you describe, and it gets me there. But I want to streamline the workflow from

1) double-click one of my visiblet notecards on the storyboard to bring up the individual notecard from the storyboard

2) select the text button (or double-click again) to view the notecard in text view

To

1) double-click one of my visiblet notecards on the storyboard to view that notecard in text view.

Is there some reason I would want to double-click my notecard and operate on it in storyboard view instead of text view? So far, I have not been able to think of a reason I would want to double-click a notecard specifically for the end result of viewing that note as a notecard. I think of that as an interim state, which I would like to be able to remove to streamline workflow. But maybe someone else really values that step, I don't know.

Orren

Is there some reason I would want to double-click my notecard and operate on it in storyboard view instead of text view?

Yes. To add commentary about the note on the index card. For example, you might have a note that tells all about spaceship X-1 and on the index card titled Spaceship X-1 you can write "This note explains the propulsion and overall exterior design of spaceship X-1 but still needs a description of how the zero-G toilets work". That sort of thing.

visiblet?

- Thoth

Yes. To add commentary about the note on the index card. For example, you might have a note that tells all about spaceship X-1 and on the index card titled Spaceship X-1 you can write "This note explains the propulsion and overall exterior design of spaceship X-1 but still needs a description of how the zero-G toilets work". That sort of thing.

Thanks for the explanation! I understand now. As I mention in another thread, I would not use the comments feature to add those notes—I would simply use the body text of the Notebook Entry.

But even now that I understand that the Notebook Entry index card can contain comment information, I still do not understand if there is much value in double-clicking a Notebook Entry index card and being taken to a "single index card view," since you can already see that index card's comments in the storybook view. In other words, when you double-click an index card in storyboard view, it doesn't seem like you are gaining anything—are you?

If double-clicking a Notebook Entry in storyboard view doesn't show you anything that you're not already able to see on the corkboard/collage, it seems like double-click to view the Notebook Entry as text still makes sense.

Orren

If double-clicking a Notebook Entry in storyboard view doesn't show you anything that you're not already able to see on the corkboard/collage, it seems like double-click to view the Notebook Entry as text still makes sense.

I think it has something to do with Steve following the Apple standard of "double-clicking puts you into edit mode" but I'm not sure. Yeah, this is a good question. Unfortunately, only Steve can tell us what he had in mind (when he gets around to reading these posts).

- Thoth

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike Orren I use the commentary on the notecards quite often, but I agree with his feature request. I have never liked the fact you have to double click to get into edit mode. I would much rather single click it and be able to start typing where I clicked and then double click it to go into text view of the cards item, be it a notebook entry card or a scene card etc. That's how my mind wants it to work and it often trips me up that it doesn't. So I definitely second this one as long as there's a solution for getting the card into edit mode.

- Jools

Archived