Storyist Forums

Formatting Issues

membarock

When I close out of Storyist and then come back on later, all of the text in my manuscript has reformatted itself to the right side of the page with dashes

in front of the first line of each paragraph. The text was fine before, and I saved it as it was, but this keeps happening. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

When I close out of Storyist and then come back on later, all of the text in my manuscript has reformatted itself to the right side of the page with dashes

in front of the first line of each paragraph. The text was fine before, and I saved it as it was, but this keeps happening. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Not a clue, in truth. In more than three years of using Storyist, I have never seen this. Questions that, if answered, may help Steve track the problem down:

What version of Storyist are you using?

What version of the Mac OS are you using, on what kind and vintage of Mac?

Is your text formatted as Section Text?

Did you change the Section Text formatting in any way?

Do you have other programs running at the same time or immediately before you start up Storyist?

Does this weird behavior happen every time you quit Storyist, or only sometimes? If the latter, is there any pattern to the occurrences?

And, most important, does this behavior affect only one file? Can you begin a new file with the Novel Template and get the same results?

Seems to me that this merits a post in Troubleshooting, where Steve is more likely to see it. I will set up a link there, since I can't move the actual message.

Good luck finding a solution!

Marguerite

Hi Memabrock,

I haven't seen this particular behavior before either, but here are a couple of things to check:

1) Are you pasting plain text with tabs into a paragraph that doesn't define tab stops? If so, select the text and add tab stops to either the paragraph or the style.

2) Word 2002 for Mac would occasionally generate RTF with a right indent setting that was off the page. Take a look at the right indents of the affected paragraphs in your project and adjust if necessary.

If neither of these do the trick, I'd be happy to take a look at a small sample and see what is going on.

-Steve

Not a clue, in truth. In more than three years of using Storyist, I have never seen this. Questions that, if answered, may help Steve track the problem down:

What version of Storyist are you using?

What version of the Mac OS are you using, on what kind and vintage of Mac?

Is your text formatted as Section Text?

Did you change the Section Text formatting in any way?

Do you have other programs running at the same time or immediately before you start up Storyist?

Does this weird behavior happen every time you quit Storyist, or only sometimes? If the latter, is there any pattern to the occurrences?

And, most important, does this behavior affect only one file? Can you begin a new file with the Novel Template and get the same results?

Seems to me that this merits a post in Troubleshooting, where Steve is more likely to see it. I will set up a link there, since I can't move the actual message.

Good luck finding a solution!

Marguerite

I am using Version 2.2.1.

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8, iMac.

My text is formatted as Section Text.

As far as I know, I did not change the section text formatting in any way.

There were no other programs running.

This weird behavior happens every time I quit Storyist.

This behavior is only affecting my one manuscript. I started a new file and did not get the same results.

Thanks Marguerite!

Storyist_Test_Document_2.story

Hi Memabrock,

I haven't seen this particular behavior before either, but here are a couple of things to check:

1) Are you pasting plain text with tabs into a paragraph that doesn't define tab stops? If so, select the text and add tab stops to either the paragraph or the style.

2) Word 2002 for Mac would occasionally generate RTF with a right indent setting that was off the page. Take a look at the right indents of the affected paragraphs in your project and adjust if necessary.

If neither of these do the trick, I'd be happy to take a look at a small sample and see what is going on.

-Steve

I did not paste any of the text. I typed it all in to the file. I'm not sure how to add tab stops.

Please see the attachment for a sample of one of my pages.

Thanks for all the help Steve!

Storyist_Test_Document_2.story

I did not paste any of the text. I typed it all in to the file. I'm not sure how to add tab stops.

Please see the attachment for a sample of one of my pages.

Thanks for all the help Steve!

Hi Membarock,

The dashes are actually list bullets. To remove them:

1) Select the text having the bullets.

2) Choose Format > Text > List.

3) In the dialog that appears, change the bullet from "-" to "none."

4) Click OK.

I'm guessing that you inadvertently formatted your paragraphs as a list using the Option+Tab keyboard shortcut, which indents the current list level by one level.

-Steve

Archived