Storyist Forums

Manuscript writing app for iPad

orrenm

As I've said, I just can't comfortably touch type on an iPad for long enough to want to do serious writing work on mine, but it's nice to see apps aimed at writers being developed. :)

Yes. Nice little app. I'd still rather see Storyist for the iPad even though, like you, "I just can't comfortably touch type on an iPad for long enough to want to do serious writing work." But, as we know, some (little-fingered) people can.

You do find some interesting links, Orren. :)

You are the Premier Journalist of the Storyist Forums.

- Thoth

I think a better application would focus on reading and marking-up the work, and integrating with a desktop app. Like have support for editing, but the goal of the app probably shouldn't be full fledge writing, or at least that's my opinion. What I've been seeing so far is applications that try to do too much...

I think a better application would focus on reading and marking-up the work, and integrating with a desktop app. Like have support for editing, but the goal of the app probably shouldn't be full fledge writing, or at least that's my opinion. What I've been seeing so far is applications that try to do too much...

I agree. iPad 1.0 is pretty much geared for consumption, not production. A mark-up app might be just the thing! But you know how people are: give them an inch and they want a mile. (They'll complain that the mark-up app doesn't have enough 3D animation features. And why doesn't the app have an integrated GPS so I can annotate my changes with my location?)

- Thoth.

The newer version of iBooks already does this, except for the integrating. (BTW, has anyone figured out where iTunes/iBooks stores the notes and bookmarks a reader adds?)

Agreed that prolonged writing is not the iPad's strength, at least without an add-on keyboard, which rather defeats the point of iPad. (Although I did manage to take two pages of notes in Pages using the virtual keyboard the other day and even created a list!). I'm going to try this $5 app Orren mentioned, though. Will let you know what I think. I like the idea of being able to display several chapters along the side, even if import into Storyist might well be more trouble than it was worth. (The program creates TXT files, so it wouldn't be impossible--just a question of how much reformatting I'd have to do.) And maybe it will give Steve some ideas for a Storyist app (hint, hint). :)

Thanks for the link, Orren.

M

...BTW, has anyone figured out where iTunes/iBooks stores the notes and bookmarks a reader adds?...

I checked iTunes Help. No joy there but I wasn't really expecting any. I left a query with Apple. I'll let you know if they can tell me anything useful.

...Although I did manage to take two pages of notes in Pages using the virtual keyboard the other day and even created a list!...

Braggart! Have at thee! :) No. I'm glad (joyful even) that this works for you...Tiny Fingers.

I'm going to try this $5 app Orren mentioned, though. Will let you know what I think.

Looking forward to it. Thank you.

I like the idea of being able to display several chapters along the side, even if import into Storyist might well be more trouble than it was worth. (The program creates TXT files, so it wouldn't be impossible--just a question of how much reformatting I'd have to do.) And maybe it will give Steve some ideas for a Storyist app (hint, hint). :)

I think this raises an interesting philosophical issue about manuscript writing (on the iPad and elsewhere): At what point does all this technological synchronization (of formats and what-have-you) simply become not worth the effort? I'm pretty sure authors wrote books long before the computer was invented. (Oh, what hath Babbage wrought!)

Sorry. Just in a ruminative humor.

- Thoth

Archived