Storyist Forums

Export to Kindle HTML version

thebookwright

I've done a few books now for the Amazon Desktop Platform & looking at the XHTML that Storyist generates, outputting a file that can be zipped for upload looks like it would be doable

Forgive me if this has come up before but a quick search didn't yield anything

On another note, would Storyist not be a good aggregator to submit Storyist generated books to the app store - nice model perhaps & one that I'd be interested in supporting professionally too

Storyist can currently export to the ePub format. As for exporting directly to the Kindle format, only Steve can answer about if/when that will happen.

Until then, you can use KindleGen, which lets you convert from ePub to the Kindle Format.

To install kindlegen, just extract it, and I copied the "kindlegen" file to "/usr/local/bin" You don't have to do this, but it'll let you use the command anywhere. If you don't want to copy it to "/usr/local/bin" then you can copy your exported ePub file and copy the ePub file to the directory kindlegen is in.

To convert the book to the kindle format, you type something like (in the Terminal):

kindlegen mybook.epub

Then it'll create mybook.mobi

Hi The Bookwright,

Thank you for the requests.

I've done a few books now for the Amazon Desktop Platform & looking at the XHTML that Storyist generates, outputting a file that can be zipped for upload looks like it would be doable

Forgive me if this has come up before but a quick search didn't yield anything

I'd considered adding AZW support (and still may), but the idea of generating the intermediate HTML containing Amazon's quirky custom tags is an interesting one. In your experience, does submitting HTML to DTP (rather than an AZW/Mobi file) yield good results?

On another note, would Storyist not be a good aggregator to submit Storyist generated books to the app store - nice model perhaps & one that I'd be interested in supporting professionally too

That would certainly make it easier for self-publishers. Unfortunately, I think that anything Storyist could provide would be short-term. As time goes by, I expect that Apple will handle more and more of the aggregation themselves. They like cutting out the middle men.

-Steve

You are probably right Steve - I think Amazon won't be playing once Apple do with iTunes for books what they did for music - am just loving the product by the way

The KindleGen's a good stop gap - great support too - love the forum

calibre also does good ePub to Mobi conversion, and it's free. Stanza works, too, but not as well, as it does not recognize italics.

ePub, of course, you can load directly to an iPad via iTunes.

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

• 2 months later...

Archived