Storyist Forums

Off to SDCC!

orrenm

I probably won't post too much for a while because I'll be in San Diego (about 70 miles south of where I live) for Comic Con International, which began as simply a comic book trading convention and now is a 140,000+ attendee, $165million or so extravaganza. I'm looking forward to attending panels on forthcoming movies, favorite TV shows, and writing/genre-specific matters. Of course, many of the things I want to do conflict schedule-wise, so the determining factor might just be what we can get into! ;)

I'll be blogging about my experiences regularly on my blog, so that's one way to see what I'm up to, but I'll try and mention anything relevant and interesting when I return.

Orren

... I'll be in San Diego (about 70 miles south of where I live) for Comic Con International...

I am green with envy. Possibly a light chartreuse. (My colorist is experimenting.)

I'll be blogging about my experiences regularly on my blog, so that's one way to see what I'm up to, but I'll try and mention anything relevant and interesting when I return.

That is very kind of you.

I'll be checking out your blog for your adventures.

- Thoth.

BTW: I hope to be going to the New York Comic Con in October.

(NYCC: October 8 - 10, 2010 at the Jacob K. Javits Center in Midtown Manhattan.)

After seeing some of the wOOtstock clips I have to wonder what's next for Adam Savage (Mythbusters). I'm thinking, LOTR: The Musical.

I can hardly wait for TRON: Legacy. I know the original was cheesy by today's CGI standards but I have no doubt Disney can bring it up to speed.

Not at all surprised by a strong Apple showing at CC. These are largely creative and playful people attending, after all.

Let your geek flag fly! 130,000 fans can't be wrong. (Well, they can but are probably not.)

So very glad you & Michelle had a wonderful time (despite the crowds).

May your swag bag overflowith.

- Thoth

After seeing some of the wOOtstock clips I have to wonder what's next for Adam Savage (Mythbusters). I'm thinking, LOTR: The Musical.

You never know! :D (He did a bit of acting before he went into special effects work, too). He could also make a decent stand up comedian—he told a rather funny story about how Dungeons & Dragons was responsible for his first kiss and first girlfriend, in addition to funny dialoging with other cast and the audience.

I can hardly wait for TRON: Legacy. I know the original was cheesy by today's CGI standards but I have no doubt Disney can bring it up to speed.

And to bring it back to musicals...Patton Oswald showed a short montage of how in the past 28 years Tron had influenced pop culture, and Tron: the Musical was one such way!

Not at all surprised by a strong Apple showing at CC. These are largely creative and playful people attending, after all.

And there was a whole lot of lack-of-wifi-or-3G jokes being made the whole con. :P (not AT&T's fault, every device was just as screwed; 100,000+ people all trying to use limited data bandwidth at once...so much for the "free wifi"...)

Let your geek flag fly! 130,000 fans can't be wrong. (Well, they can but are probably not.)

Yar! :) I don't like strangers getting inside my personal space, but there is definitely something empowering about feeling like "we're all outcasts together." It's really interesting how many people in creative industries really get into comic con—lots of creative directors, and even some actors, admitted that they come on their own even when they don't have something to promote, that they'd be there anyway. This year, Liv Tyler (who's been in LOTR, The Incredible Hulk, and the forthcoming Super) walked the floor hidden behind a mask, just to hang out and see the booths. What's funny is that Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters (who looks quite intimidating) walks around without a mask, and when recognized, simply holds a finger to his mouth to shush them. He insisted it always works. "That's his superpower," Nerdist (panel moderator) joked, "he's shush-man!"

Take care,

Orren

• 2 months later...
This year, Liv Tyler (who's been in LOTR, The Incredible Hulk, and the forthcoming Super) walked the floor hidden behind a mask, just to hang out and see the booths. What's funny is that Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters (who looks quite intimidating) walks around without a mask, and when recognized, simply holds a finger to his mouth to shush them. He insisted it always works. "That's his superpower," Nerdist (panel moderator) joked, "he's shush-man!"

Hahahha! That's probably because Jamie could blow you up or knock you out in two seconds if he wanted vs. Liv, who would get mobbed by all the heart-throbbed masses. Of course, if she had a sword or a large river, she might be able to kill you better than Jamie. :)

I just watched the clip of Adam singing as Gollum..... hysterical! I would love him in a LOTR Musical.

- Jules

Archived