Storyist Forums

Story content totally gone

nickfedoroff

I was working on my novel earlier, wrote about 1000 words or so, saving all the while and now, when I open my novel, there is absolutely no content in the file. All of the panes are empty and rather than the name of the file being at the top of the window, it just says "Window." Between my last save and now I've uninstalled the developer tools from my computer and updated a couple of totally unrelated apps like Stuffit Expander and Linotype Font Explorer. Luckily, I installed Leopard a few nights ago and I was able to restore a previous version with Time Machine (minus today's work).

I'm stumped. Seems like there's nothing I can do at this point but try to remember what I wrote earlier today. Or maybe I'll just write in a character with computer problems.

PPC

Leopard

Storyist 1.3.2

Thanks

I was working on my novel earlier, wrote about 1000 words or so, saving all the while and now, when I open my novel, there is absolutely no content in the file. All of the panes are empty and rather than the name of the file being at the top of the window, it just says "Window." Between my last save and now I've uninstalled the developer tools from my computer and updated a couple of totally unrelated apps like Stuffit Expander and Linotype Font Explorer. Luckily, I installed Leopard a few nights ago and I was able to restore a previous version with Time Machine (minus today's work).

I'm stumped. Seems like there's nothing I can do at this point but try to remember what I wrote earlier today. Or maybe I'll just write in a character with computer problems.

PPC

Leopard

Storyist 1.3.2

Thanks

Hi rivergod,

I'll contact you via PM and we can troubleshoot.

-Steve

Rivergod,

It may be that you are running into the bug that Betsy reported. If so, then you can download this version and open your story file.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of other things to try; It is unlikely that the story is gone.

You can see the individual components of your story file by unzipping it. The archive contains:

• story.xml - your manuscript in OpenDocument format.
  • story.rdf - Your story metadata (characters, plot, setting, etc...) in RDF/XML format.
  • contents.rdf - the manifest (list of top-level resources) for the story in RDF/XML format.
  • A notes directory with your notebook entries in RTF format.
  • An images directory with any images you've assinged to your story sheets.

I'll hang around here for a while longer in case you're still up.

-Steve

Archived