Storyist Forums

It's Magic!

orrenm

In my quest to continually improve the ergonomics of my workflow, I have picked up Apple's new Magic Trackpad. (Thoth, it requires the latest version of Snow Leopard, sorry!). I thought I'd give a sentence or two of background, then my impressions.

First of all, I have a closet full of discarded mice and trackballs. Basically, I find that mice really strain my wrist, so I moved to trackballs. Unfortunately, trackballs are much better on my wrist, but depending on the position of the buttons, can strain my fingers. I'd previously been using a Logitech Trackman Optical Wireless which has been pretty good. However, it's connectivity isn't the best, it's buttons can still strain, so I was looking for another option.

I've only been using the Magic Trackpad for the afternoon, but I have to say it's been a pleasure so far. I set it up so that a tap is interpreted as a click, and I truly never need to apply any sort of pressure or hold any of my fingers in an unnatural position. If you're used to a newer multi-touch MacBook Pro than you're already familiar with the multi-touch gestures, but even if you're not they only take a moment, and the pref pane includes video of each of them. They're very natural and easy to pick up, and since this trackpad is 80% larger than a MacBook's trackpad, the extra room makes it even easier.

And after a moment of getting used to it, it becomes completely intuitive. For example, scrolling vertically or horizontally simply by sliding your finger just makes sense. And "inertia scrolling," in which you can scroll one direction quickly, and the window will continue scrolling for a moment as it slows to a halt, is fantastic.

As I said, I'm only in the first day of use, but so far, I'm really enjoying the trackpad, and my fingers have been enjoying the lack of any sort of strain.

Orren

In my quest to continually improve the ergonomics of my workflow, I have picked up Apple's new Magic Trackpad. (Thoth, it requires the latest version of Snow Leopard, sorry!). ...

:P But thanks for the review!

... Basically, I find that mice really strain my wrist, so I moved to trackballs. ...

Same here.

Unfortunately, trackballs are much better on my wrist, but depending on the position of the buttons, can strain my fingers. I'd previously been using a Logitech Trackman Optical Wireless which has been pretty good. However, it's connectivity isn't the best, it's buttons can still strain, so I was looking for another option.

I like the Logitech Trackman Optical Wireless trackball despite/because it looks like an alien spaceship. (At least it looks like the ones in my neighborhood.) But I completely understand about the button positions. That's why I went with the Kensington Expert Mouse. This big-balled mouse has four large programmable buttons and runs with the lightest of fingertip touches.

But back to the Magic Trackpad. I don't own an Apple laptop (currently) so I'm unfamiliar with the trackpad of the newer multi-touch MacBook. Is the interface like that of the iPad's touchscreen?

As I said, I'm only in the first day of use, but so far, I'm really enjoying the trackpad, and my fingers have been enjoying the lack of any sort of strain.

I have an issue with performance with-respect-to battery life for wireless devices. Wi-Fi interference issues too. I know it'll be a while before anything becomes apparent so...no pressure. But any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

- Thoth.

Orren, thanks for the heads up. I love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro and always wanted one for my iMac. I had no idea Apple was coming out with this. I have mine ordered now.

But back to the Magic Trackpad. I don't own an Apple laptop (currently) so I'm unfamiliar with the trackpad of the newer multi-touch MacBook. Is the interface like that of the iPad's touchscreen?

Very similar but with more functions that don't apply to the iPad, such as double-click (tap with two fingers), three-finger swipe to go forward and back (e.g. in a browser), and the four-finger swipe that shows all running programs so you can select among them.

One of the things I like most about the trackpad is the silky-smooth scrolling (which is just like the iPad) with inertia so you can fling the page down and it keeps going until the force is spent. It's more intuitive than it sounds.

Ted

Very similar but with more functions that don't apply to the iPad, such as double-click (tap with two fingers), three-finger swipe to go forward and back (e.g. in a browser), and the four-finger swipe that shows all running programs so you can select among them.

One of the things I like most about the trackpad is the silky-smooth scrolling (which is just like the iPad) with inertia so you can fling the page down and it keeps going until the force is spent. It's more intuitive than it sounds.

Ted

Thanks Ted.

- Thoth.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived