Storyist Forums

Story Soundtrack?

astillac

Hi, I'm new here. I just found Storyist last night, when I was looking at the goodie list for NaNo's Write-a-Thon and lamenting my lack of goingness. After playing with the program for a few hours last night and a few more this morning, I'm in love.

I had an idea, though. I don't know if anyone else does this, but I have songs that inspire me for each scene, and songs that seem to sum up the character. Would there be a way to add a link or a small player under the image of the character or scene? Or even a separate soundtrack list? Or integration with iTunes? Right now I have a playlist in iTunes, but there isn't a way to make a comment on the song to remind me where it goes. I don't know if it would be feasible, but it would make a fantastic tool even better.

Thoughts?

- Calli

Right now I have a playlist in iTunes, but there isn't a way to make a comment on the song to remind me where it goes. I don't know if it would be feasible, but it would make a fantastic tool even better.

Hi Calli,

Interesting idea. But, for now at least, why not do it the other way around. Create a Notes sheet called (I dunno) Character Themes, and list the songs there with the appropriate characters, backgrounds and other notations. Then, as you please, run the song in iTunes in the background as you work in Storyist. (Perhaps an Automator* macro can pull it up for you.)

Just a thought.

-Thoth.

*Perhaps Steve might consider providing a folder of Storyist Actions to include in Automator someday.

*Perhaps Steve might consider providing a folder of Storyist Actions to include in Automator someday.

I'm sure that once Steve releases the Storyist API that someone, perhaps on this board, will be able to add features like this.

I for one look forward to pimping out my Storyist.

IF

I'm sure that once Steve releases the Storyist API that someone, perhaps on this board, will be able to add features like this.

I for one look forward to pimping out my Storyist.

IF

Another solution is to add a field to the Character Sheets, called "Soundtrack." It's quite simple:

1. Click on the sheet for the first character you want to associate with a piece of music.

2. Click on the last of the pre-set descriptors, usually "Build."

3. Choose "Add Field," then "Custom."

4. Type a name for the field, say "Soundtrack" or "Music."

5. Choose the field type from the drop-down menu. In this case, you would choose Text, the pre-set option, so you can type your own track names. (In other cases, you may want to choose "Character," "Setting," etc., to link to other parts of your Storyist file.)

6. Type any comments that seem appropriate: See iTunes Playlist "My Music," for example.

7. Click "Add Custom Field."

Then, for any character that you want to have the Soundtrack listed, repeat steps 1-3, only choose "Add Field, Soundtrack" instead of "Add Field, Custom." The Soundtrack field will appear, and you can type in the song name you want, just as you type "Blue" for eyes or "Green" for hair. :)

Note that this solution is not mutually incompatible with Thoth's suggestion of using the Notes feature. You can keep a general list in Notes and a character-by-character list in the individual sheets.

Best,

Marguerite

Another solution is to add a field to the Character Sheets, called "Soundtrack."

That's a better solution than mine. (Why didn't I think of that?)

...type in the song name you want, just as you type "Blue" for eyes or "Green" for hair.

Green for hair? Intriguing.

-Thoth.

Ah, Marguerite, that is a beautiful solution. I've done it, and it works well. Thank you.

I still think it would be cool if there was a little music player under the character's picture. Not particularly, uh, useful, I guess, but cool. Maybe my husband will be able to do something like that after the API is released. I sure couldn't.

Ah, Marguerite, that is a beautiful solution. I've done it, and it works well. Thank you.

I still think it would be cool if there was a little music player under the character's picture. Not particularly, uh, useful, I guess, but cool. Maybe my husband will be able to do something like that after the API is released. I sure couldn't.

Glad I could help. BTW, the same thing works for scenes. You click on the Section Sheet associated with your scene, then on the last heading under Section Details and choose "Add Field, Custom."

Best,

Marguerite

I'm still with you. I've had a thought about some how linking into the spell checker with a ruby script that uses the OSA interface to iTunes, and when ever I type into the name of a character, it cross-fades into their theme song. Perhaps a bit ambitious, but fun to try to do.

Okay, I've had too much caffeine today. Just ignore me.

IF

I'm still with you. I've had a thought about some how linking into the spell checker with a ruby script that uses the OSA interface to iTunes, and when ever I type into the name of a character, it cross-fades into their theme song. Perhaps a bit ambitious, but fun to try to do.

Fun? Stay away from sharp sticks for the time being. Okay? (Oh, I love a man who loves a challenge.)

Okay, I've had too much caffeine today. Just ignore me.

Never! Your are obviously the most fun when you're buzzed.

Getting sleepy from a lack of caffeine,

-Thoth.

I use Itunes playlists, and what I do is pick a song to reflect a chapter or character and load them all up. Anytime I'm losing grip (which is often) I'll play back the playlist, or just use a mega-playlist with everything in and leave it on repeat. I don't integrate this into Storyist in any way (not yet), and I I want to skip through tracks I have one of the newer Apple Keyboards with the integrated media functions (FFW, PLAY) at my fingertips.

PJ

A lot of people like to listen to music just to get them in a writing mood.

In your opinion (talkin' t' y'all now), what's the greatest noveling song of all time? For me? Anything by Meatloaf. (Didn't expect that, did you? Ha!)

Click here for other people's answers.

Still Rocking After All These Years.

-Thoth.

:)

Uh... oh man, of all time? That's a... a huge commitment. I'll have to think about that one. Hmm.....

Man. I can't say for all time, but for this book, the overall magic song is Girl in the War by Josh Ritter. It's much slower than my usual writing music, but this book isn't really upbeat. It reminds me of birds making slow loops in the sky - which is, I guess, why I wrote that in...

Of all time? Jeez!

- Calli

Of all time? Jeez!

Okay, okay. No pressure. We're just looking for inspiration here. Any song you like will do. Heck (pardon the late 19th century euphemism), even a song you don't like but helps you write will do.

Apologies for the hyperbole,

-Thoth

In your opinion (talkin' t' y'all now), what's the greatest noveling song of all time?

Ha! A trick question. You're trying to identify all the psychics in the audience who know what will be the best song of all time. Well, I'm not biting. No sir.

IF

You're trying to identify all the psychics... Well, I'm not biting. No sir.

Not biting, eh? The Shop will hear of this! Expect the Black Helicopters when you least expect them.

-Thoth

Director of Psi Ops.

Psi Corps.

W... Forget all that. You are getting sleepy...sleeeeeepy.

Not biting, eh? The Shop will hear of this! Expect the Black Helicopters when you least expect them.

-Thoth

Director of Psi Ops.

Psi Corps.

W... Forget all that. You are getting sleepy...sleeeeeepy.

And you wonder why the helicopters always seem to show up a few minutes too late...

IF

And you wonder why the helicopters always seem to show up a few minutes too late...

You misunderstand. (Or understand all too well.)

We're talking about music to write by, here. Something for a Storyist Soundtrack to remind us of a character or setting.

I am merely proposing the song "Black Helicopters" by the Alternative Rock band The Cupcakes. (Available for sampling on iTunes.)

(Did he buy that? Send in the invisible robot ninjas.)

-Thoth.

• 1 month later...

One of the technical books I wrote back a decade+ plus ago, included an example of how to create a CD player. That was before CD players were readily available as an application with every PC. As I worked on the chapter, and the demo app, I must have listened to the first 10 - 15 seconds of this one song over a hundred times while I was testing and debugging the features of the app. Why I didn't change songs, or CDs, I will never know, but I have never been able to listen to that song since.

carve

• 2 weeks later...
Why I didn't change songs, or CDs, I will never know, but I have never been able to listen to that song since.

You didn't change songs because it was more pragmatic to keep hitting the play on what was already queued. Engineers are so silly that way. ;)

IF

Archived