Storyist Forums

My Official Word Count Announcement Thread

thealtruismsociety

My favorites that have become characters- Khriz, Jolette, Efren, Janeth, Xander...

I always had thought "Xander" was short for "Alexander". Inspired by the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" sidekick, perhaps?

Funny (to me) I never considered writing historical fiction...but then in my previous life as a costume designer, I never enjoyed doing realistic period pieces either... too many rules...

That's why I like Fantasy-based Sci-Fi. You can make things up (including history) as you go along.

PS- I'm embarrassed to note that those current popular names are Twilight inspired. Books inspire...

Indeed. But why don't videogames? I've never met a Zelda or a Sonic. Too soon?

If we continue with this character naming conversation we may have to move it to a new thread.

-Thoth

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always had thought "Xander" was short for "Alexander". Inspired by the "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" sidekick, perhaps?

Really? It's a cool name... Is it safe to admit, I am not up on my Buffy? In the netflix...

That's why I like Fantasy-based Sci-Fi. You can make things up (including history) as you go along.

Right! Just like real life! I like my reality so much more than some who talk of this "in the box"

Indeed. But why don't videogames? I've never met a Zelda or a Sonic. Too soon?

Yeah- video games. Could it be that a greater number who play a lot and would name an off spring after a character, might just not be getting out to meet others to procreate with?

If we continue with this character naming conversation we may have to move it to a new thread.

Cool. Will I need a passport? Intergalactic wormhole pass?

That's a good thing, right?

If so, thank you.

And congratulations on your own mighty writing.

I doff my metaphorical hat in your general direction. (West, right?)

- Thoth

Yes, a most definite good thing.

And thank you for your own nod from the east, of where I once resided myself, south of you on the Isle of Manhattan.

Perhaps you may tip that Sun Medallion upon your head...

Cool. Will I need a passport? Intergalactic wormhole pass?

The forums have their own kind of magic, which, apparently, you have already mastered.

(Wormholes, sheesh, such a primitive from of transportation.)

I tip my Sun Medallion to the West.

- Thoth

The forums have their own kind of magic, which, apparently, you have already mastered.

Ah, flattery... will get you very far.

And I noticed, how did I get to be an advanced member in 33 posts? Are there no standards here? Or could it be that I am no longer embarrassing myself with improper quoting techniques?

(Wormholes, sheesh, such a primitive from of transportation.)

Well, I was writing that from a fantastical historical perspective before I returned to the present.

I tip my Sun Medallion to the West.

Flapping my wings to the east.

And I noticed, how did I get to be an advanced member in 33 posts? Are there no standards here? Or could it be that I am no longer embarrassing myself with improper quoting techniques?

The process is very secretive, arcane and mystical. The Invision Zone chapter of the Pan Galactic Storyist Tribunal meets under a mushroom in Aldus Dumbledore's beard (yes, in his grave or on the spirit plane, depending on the weather) and telepathically votes new members into the Advanced Class (assuming they have 30 posts). Yes, it's that simple.

Still two days ahead of schedule.

- Thoth

...then what? do you put it away for a while or keep going....

Excellent question. Last year I finished ahead of time and just kept writing. Once I finished that draft I spend a couple of months "fixing it". Then I put it away and concentrated on paying work. I expect to do the same this time too. Or not.

did you "finish" this draft?

I'm ahead of schedule and will probably finish on the 28th or there about.

Here's hoping.

- Thoth.

Excellent question. Last year I finished ahead of time and just kept writing. Once I finished that draft I spend a couple of months "fixing it". Then I put it away and concentrated on paying work. I expect to do the same this time too. Or not.

I'm ahead of schedule and will probably finish in the 28th or there about.

Here's hoping.

- Thoth.

Way to go, Thoth! The Speed Demon, indeed! :)

Did you take time not to smell the roses—which is almost as big a cliché as that "thick as a baby's arm" phrase you quoted elsewhere—but to read Lemony Snicket's NaNo pep talk this morning? Talk about over the top! Is it proven, do you think, that the pep talks get wilder as November progresses?

Closing in on where I ought to be as a result of four days' straight writing (well, almost straight—I had to dance in preparation for Turkey Day), with five more days to go before work intrudes.

Ah, if I could only win the lottery and write full-time! :)

And Fizchick, congratulations on your acceptance into the "Advanced Members" club. What they don't tell you is that that's it. Post all you like; no more squares will ever come your way. Look at Thoth (although he does have three honorary triangle pips, one for each thousand, from his fellow forum members). :)

M

Way to go, Thoth! The Speed Demon, indeed! :)

Thank you M'lady. Not going back to fix typos and plot errors helps my speed a great deal. But it also mean's that much more work in December. :)

Is it proven, do you think, that the pep talks get wilder as November progresses?

I always saw the pep talks as the writer's exercise in self-indulgence. For me, the e-mails always provided more entertainment than pep. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Closing in on where I ought to be as a result of four days' straight writing (well, almost straight—I had to dance in preparation for Turkey Day), with five more days to go before work intrudes.

No dancing for me. This year I get to spend Turkey Day with my brother and his family. I'm not expected to bring anything or lift a finger to help. Ah! The joys of bringing your own chair.

Ah, if I could only win the lottery and write full-time! :)

Whole books have been written about this kind of wish fulfillment. Statistically, when people suddenly become independently wealthy, they "retire" and stop doing anything truly challenging. That's one of the amazing things about NaNoWriMo: so many people volunteering to set their work-a-day lives aside to challenge themselves for no monetary gain. I love making statisticians look stupid. :) NaNo is worth doing, year after year, like jumping out of an airplane (with a parachute) is worth doing: to prove that you still can.

And Fizchick, congratulations on your acceptance into the "Advanced Members" club. What they don't tell you is that that's it. Post all you like; no more squares will ever come your way. Look at Thoth (although he does have three honorary triangle pips, one for each thousand, from his fellow forum members). :)

I cherish my triangular pips. Three more and I can trade them in for a hexagonal pip. Five of those and Invision Zone kicks you off the Forum for taking up too much disk space.

I'm ahead of the game so I may take tomorrow off for a writer's holiday.

Happy Turkey Day Everyone.

-Thoth

M

Thank you! I sure appreciate the welcome!

I did not even notice at any point I had 2, it's such a speedy path to glory. I may though, wish a wee bit little that someday a magical 4th square will appear...perhaps in fuchsia...I mean while I'm wishing for you to win the lottery...

Where does one view Thoth's honorary triangle pips? I would like to pay homage to such a feat.

Thank you! I sure appreciate the welcome!

I did not even notice at any point I had 2, it's such a speedy path to glory. I may though, wish a wee bit little that someday a magical 4th square will appear...perhaps in fuchsia...I mean while I'm wishing for you to win the lottery...

Where does one view Thoth's honorary triangle pips? I would like to pay homage to such a feat.

The second square, promoting you from Newbie to Member, appears with post #10. Amazing how many people never get that far.

Thoth's triangle pips are in the Milestones thread. I would link to them, but I am typing this on my iPad and am not quite up to managing the links. Maybe tomorrow, when I also hope to catch up to you, Thoth, and the other Speedy Gonzaleses around here. :)

Congrats,

M

P.S. Love the hair--uh, feathers.

EDIT: For more on Thoth's triangle pips, see here.

I didn't write a thing (or use the Forum) for all of Thanksgiving Day and the world didn't come to an end. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm still ahead of the game by a day.

I've been trying to make up for some lost time today. I just finished lunch and hit the forums. Now I'm heading back to my NaNo work to see if I can add another thousand words by dinner.

Wish me luck.

- Thoth.

BTW: NaNoWriMo 2010 has just past TWO BILLION WORDS.

Less than 2K words to the finish line!

Fizchick, Lady M, look in your rearview mirror. I'm right behind you and expect to cross the finish line (located somewhere in Finland) by sometime tomorrow.

See you there.

- Thoth

See you there! I'm going for it tonight!

I've got west coast time on my side...1980 to go!

Happy finishing Marguerite and Thoth!

- Fizchick

Congratulations Fizchick

First of the Storyists to

WIN NaNoWriMo 2010

Keep the champagne cold for me and the chateaubriand hot.

I'll be there on the 27th with bells on.

-Thoth

BTW: Everyone, don't forget to validate your word count.

Here's a video about the (2009) validation process.

Can't claim your goodies without validation.

Archived