Storyist Forums

My Official Word Count Announcement Thread

thealtruismsociety

Wow. Go out to dinner and you miss 10 NaNoWriMo 2010 posts.

Okay. First in response to Fizchick's, "But I can tell, Thoth, if I wanted to be stalker, you might be very helpful", I can only say :lol: .

In response to TAS's. "... book is done at 47,112 words. :D", M is right. There are plenty of ways to pad and the one she first mentions is the one I happen to use when necessary*. I read over the text and add sensory descriptions ("The kitchen had sticky floors. but worse, so did the bedroom.") How about a section in the back that lists and describes your characters and locations? I'm sure you can think of something.

And

Congratulations

thealtruismsociety

on your 500th

post.

There's probably 3000 words right there.

Don't give up.

- Thoth

*Not having more to say isn't usually one of my problems. :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just book is done at 47,112 words. :D

So you're 2,888 words short. 10 pages in double-spaced Times New Roman 12. 12 pages in Courier. You can do this, TAS. A chapter by chapter outline and character list could easily span 10-12 pages.

If ever there was a time for adverbs, this is it, she purred throatily. Purple that prose! Milk those metaphors! Can the contractions, and stun the reader with similes. Make everything as thick as a baby's arm (or wide as the ocean or blue as a robin's egg). Who cares if it's a cliché, so long as it's a cliché with lots of words? :lol:

Just don't give up. And remember, you can always take it out on Dec. 1.

M

So you're 2,888 words short. 10 pages in double-spaced Times New Roman 12. 12 pages in Courier. You can do this, TAS. A chapter by chapter outline and character list could easily span 10-12 pages.

If ever there was a time for adverbs, this is it, she purred throatily. Purple that prose! Milk those metaphors! Can the contractions, and stun the reader with similes. Make everything as thick as a baby's arm (or wide as the ocean or blue as a robin's egg). Who cares if it's a cliché, so long as it's a cliché with lots of words? :lol:

M

Thanks for all the advice, I've actually started on a short story I've been kicking around in my mind, that's gonna help put me over actually. :D

M

TAS must have taken your advice. I just checked: philhanson is at 48,646, just 1,354 words to go (he purred throatily :D ).

And, by the way, Steve is at 45,455. Just 4,545 words to go! (So close. So close.)

Excellent work everyone.

The champaign is on me (literally, I'm very sloppy).

- Thoth

So concerning my short story, I was thinking of submitting it to various magazines to try and get it published but, it they pay for the story, do I then lose all rights to it? Or do they only pay for the right to publish it in their magazine?

They're unlikely to pay you so they can publish your story in their magazine if you can then turn around and publish it on your (free) blog or sell it to still another magazine. There are exceptions, of course. All rights are negotiable, TAS. But basically, they will take what they can get for as little as they can spend. Typically, all publishers are interested in All Rights. Such is the business world. But ask your publishers. They'll tell you what rights they're interested in and even what they're willing to pay for them.

Don't we have a few people on the forum who actually work for book publishers?

They're unlikely to pay you so they can publish your story in their magazine if you can then turn around and then publish it on your (free) blog (or sell it to another magazine). But all rights are negotiable, TAS, and for sale. Many publishers are interested in some rights but not others. But basically, they will take what they can get for as little as they can. And most publishers are interested in All Rights. Such is the business world. But ask your publishers. They'll tell you what rights they're interested in.

So they could for instance, take the story and sell it to a movie studio later on? (I guess I dream big)

This is the kind of thing I'm wondering.

I would think so. But wouldn't chicks be opposed the stoning of birds?

Well, yes, this is one of those... um...insert foot in mouth...or drumstick in mouth...

I am in fact not really into throwing things at all, that is why I must write. Pitching for the Yankees didn't work out. Not my colors...

I would rather pick up two buckets of gold with one hand then kill two birds...

Archived